New Scope

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I’m replacing my 2x7 Nikon on my 7600 30-06 carbine in the off season. It’s served my well, but the clarity isn’t great an I think it’s due to the front lenses coating being worn off. It’s blotchy I guess I’d call it and likely from using my glove to clear it off.
Any way, I have been impressed with the freedom line of leupold and have decided to pick up another.
Thoughts on a 2-7x33or a 1.5-4x20?
Same price.
The 20mm has a 74 ft FOV on low power compared to 43 of the 33mm. 20mm is a couple ounces lighter, more compact by 4 inches. Likely no real world difference.

Input?

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I have the Leupold vxII 1x4 on my carbine and have been very happy with it. Very compact outfit and goes well with my hunting needs and style.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I like both of those for scope power. I’ll never forget the time back about 40 years ago, I was down on one knee scoping a doe on a VT mountain top with my scope on 9 power and when I lowered my scope and put my hand in my shirt pocket for a cigarette and glanced to my left there was a big buck staring at me about 10 yds away. We had the stare down moment and he actually started walking closer to me wondering what the hell I was! Eyes locked, I mad my move to get my 742 shouldered and of course the buck spun and hightailed it. All I could see in the scope was tree branches (still on 9) then a flash of brown I pulled the trigger and got off a shot but no hit.
From that day on I never bought another 3-9 scope!
I should have shot from the hip but wanted so bad to kill the buck I made the mistake of aiming... :eek:)

Big D

Reaction score
I have the vx3 1.5x5x20 on that same gun. Very functional and has taken a beating. IMO you can't go wrong w/ Leopold.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
2x7. Nice to be able to dial it up when you are sitting or trying to pick a hole thru the brush. Browesline will tell you how higher power has helped him over the years on a couple of nice bucks.

JDK

Reaction score
Have both and agree with Mountain Hunter, longbow, and browseline.

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
I run Leupold 2x7's on pretty much all the guns I use...very forgiving eye relief & the 2x7 will give you a little better view when it's getting near dark.

lester2

Reaction score
I have a vx1 1x4 on my 7600 carbine, been on there for 10 years or so. This winter I’ll replace it with a vx freedom 2x7. I sit/stand a lot more than I used to and having the ability to crank up the power means more to me than the close running shot qualities of the 1x4. If there was a manufacturer out there who made a 1x6 at a reasonable price with a standard duplex reticle I’d be all over it, but I haven’t found one yet.

Flatlander

Reaction score
I have 2 1x4's , 2 2.5 x 8 , and a 2 × 7. I usually kept the 1 x 4 scopes on 2 power. I believe they're actually closer to 1.5 than 1. I don't see much difference between the 2.5 x 8 over the 2 x 7 . The 2 × 7 is a VX 1 , the 2.5 x 8 are VX3 's , big difference in the glass. The 3's really reduce glare compared to the less expensive scopes.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Good thread, I’m in the same boat as KC. I’ve had a 1.75-5 Bushnell on my 7600 for about 15 years and it seems to have lost some clarity. Maybe its seen better days, or maybe I’m now comparing it to the 2-7 Redfield I put on my muzzleloader last year. Either way it will have some new glass for next season. I’m on the fence but was leaning towards a 2-7.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Good thread, I’m in the same boat as KC. I’ve had a 1.75-5 Bushnell on my 7600 for about 15 years and it seems to have lost some clarity. Maybe its seen better days, or maybe I’m now comparing it to the 2-7 Redfield I put on my muzzleloader last year. Either way it will have some new glass for next season. I’m on the fence but was leaning towards a 2-7.
When I bought this 2-7 I have now I bought a leupold 3-9 about the same time. I was impressed that the Nikon seemed as clear at the time and was really happy with the clarity. Last couple years I havent been impressed. I noticed if I look at just the right angle the coating on the front lenses is wearing g off or blotchy. Might be your issue?

Anyway, I decided I’ll go with the 2x7 leupold freedom this time around. Thanks for the input.

Bill/NH

Reaction score
VXI 2X7 on my muzzleloaders(MDM Buckwacka and CVA Accura Mt Hunter) for about 13 years and a VXII 2X7 on my 7600 for about 9 years, won't be changing either anytime soon. Had a VXIII 1.5X5 on the 7600 for a few years before the VXII but just needed the 7 power for times when I was in cuts, powerlines or hardwoods. Most of the time the scopes live on 2 or 4 power!!!!

bmiller

Reaction score
have both 1x4 and 2x7 leupold prefer the 2x7 little more magnification when needed for long shot an checking for horns

Reactions: JDK

medrhunter

Reaction score
I have Leupold 1X6X24 on both of my Maine hunting rifles.
Haven't run into a situation in 10 years where I wished I would have had something different.
Only problem is Leupold doubled the price on these scopes so they priced themselves out of my future purchases.
But love the 1 X with illuminated reticle.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I have Leupold 1X6X24 on both of my Maine hunting rifles.
Haven't run into a situation in 10 years where I wished I would have had something different.
Only problem is Leupold doubled the price on these scopes so they priced themselves out of my future purchases.
But love the 1 X with illuminated reticle.
The VX6 for $1400.00?

medrhunter

Reaction score
The VX6 for $1400.00?
I have 2 VX6 scopes.
When I bought them they were $800.
Still expensive, but for my eyes and for still hunting/tracking it was a huge improvement over the VX3's.
Now they call them VX6 HD and raised the price to $1500.
I can't see that much of an improvement for a hunting application.

Latest posts