New Rifle (Pics)

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Can’t tell from the picture, but is that the Redfield widefield 2-7? If so, that is a fantastic scope. Had one on a Ruger 77 years ago. Wish I never sold both. Anyway, the stocks are compatible, sometimes the older stock bearing plates are a little thicker than the newer ones. Just switch them out if the buttstock doesn’t sit flush to receiver.
Thank you for the info.

Yes, a 2-7 Redfield Widefield on the 308, pictured alone. Also a 1 3/4 - 5 , Redfield Widefield on the synthetic stocked 35 Whelen carbine , I bought it used a year or so ago. Very good condition. I was a little unsure if I should put it on a brand new rifle, with all the great new scopes out there. It seems very bright and fits the rifle nicely. I did not get it sighted in before this season, but shot it yesterday and have it grouping nice at 50. Will do a little more tweaking at long range. Thinking of using it next year in Maine.

Last edited:

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Nice collection! Those older ones look so much nicer than the new 7600s. You wouldn’t know it by the price Remington gets for them, but the newer 7600s look much cheaper than the older models. It must be the woodwork.

Same can probably be said for any rifle manufacturer these days unfortunately...

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
I have these plus the single pic of the one I just bought. Probably sell one of the 35 Whelen carbines at some point.
Now that is a well armed militia! :rolleyes: How do you decide which one goes in the woods? Do you just rotate them on a daily basis? Do you ever take one out with the wrong ammo? I know so many questions. Maybe you can trade one for a serviceable vest? If I recall your vest is slightly faded.:rolleyes:

Grandkid

Reaction score
Nice collection Longbow and it continues to grow. Your son and daughter will have a good selection for the woods.
Roger-

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that is a well armed militia! :rolleyes: How do you decide which one goes in the woods? Do you just rotate them on a daily basis? Do you ever take one out with the wrong ammo? I know so many questions. Maybe you can trade one for a serviceable vest? If I recall your vest is slightly faded.:rolleyes:
Pretty much only use the 35 Whelen with the medallions in the stock. (Benoit Coins). Shot quite a few bucks with it, but it missed a buck this year, so I am not happy with her. Not much of a shot running thru the brush though... I shot 30/06 ammo out of my 35 Whelen once.:cool: Ha, ha, that vest will be worn until it falls off me.

JDK

Reaction score
I can see a time when I might sell some. I only pick them up if I feel I could get my money back, just watch for the good deals.
Or do what I do. Buy em, try em, sell em, and then rebuy the same rifle.:duck:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
hmmm.... I get the impression you like Remington 760/7600's?
Before I started hunting with the 7600 and 760's, I used a Sporterized 1903 Springfield 06.

Then I bought a Marlin 444SS that I used for quite few years.

Was thinking about going back to the Springfield but I just found out that it has a low serial # and not a recommended shooter as some of the receivers have come apart when fired. I am going to bring it to a gun smith and get an opinion on it.

Going to go back to using my 444SS next season. I really like how solid the 444SS is, no rattles, and you can clean it from the breech. And it's a great shooting rifle. Most important though, it has a hole big enough for a mouse to run through...:D

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Before I started hunting with the 7600 and 760's, I used a Sporterized 1903 Springfield 06.

Then I bought a Marlin 444SS that I used for quite few years.

Was thinking about going back to the Springfield but I just found out that it has a low serial # and not a recommended shooter as some of the receivers have come apart when fired. I am going to bring it to a gun smith and get an opinion on it.

Going to go back to using my 444SS next season. I really like how solid the 444SS is, no rattles, and you can clean it from the breech. And it's a great shooting rifle. Most important though, it has a hole big enough for a mouse to run through...:D
I used an 1895 guide gun in 45-70 for many years before moving to a 7600. I have always loved carbine style rifles, and regret selling that one. I often think that I would love to hunt with a lever again, maybe a .35 Remington of an older vintage. I always look for a 336 sc on the racks.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I used an 1895 guide gun in 45-70 for many years before moving to a 7600. I have always loved carbine style rifles, and regret selling that one. I often think that I would love to hunt with a lever again, maybe a .35 Remington of an older vintage. I always look for a 336 sc on the racks.
I have an old Marlin in 35 Remington.

Attachments