New Lanny Benoit Interview

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff I enjoyed that. I wonder what his son is up to I figured he would keep the legacy going but I guess not.
I thought Zeb was going to carry on Lane and Zeb's Mountain Outdoor Adventures, but apparently not either. I bought a couple of hat's from Zeb after his dad passed away. I enjoyed talking to Lane at a couple of sportsman show's, nice guy. Very sad to see him go way to early. Photo of Lane and Zeb 2002.
IMG_5170.jpg 3-6-Lane-and-Zeb-Benoit-VT-2002-Lane-Benoit-photo.jpg

Last edited:

Huntermc6

Reaction score
I thought Zeb was going to carry on Lane and Zeb's Mountain Outdoor Adventures, but apparently not either. I bought a couple of hat's from Zeb after his dad passed away. I enjoyed talking to Lane at a couple of sportsman show's, nice guy. Very sad to see him go way to early. Photo of Lane and Zeb 2002.
Awesome picture! Zeb is quite a bit younger than Lanny's son Landon isn't he? I did see on one of the Facebook pages dedicated to the Benoits that there was going to be a new DVD coming out, like a greatest hits so to speak. Not sure what happened to that project.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome picture! Zeb is quite a bit younger than Lanny's son Landon isn't he? I did see on one of the Facebook pages dedicated to the Benoits that there was going to be a new DVD coming out, like a greatest hits so to speak. Not sure what happened to that project.
Yes, younger than Landon.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Theres been a guy on eBay selling the DVD Lane had planned on putting out prior to his passing. I’ve seen the video sell for over 80.00 in auction. Last one I saw listed was at a “buy it now “ for 149.00!!!!! I had some great conversations with them all, and was fortunate enough to spend a couple turkey hunts with Lane, but I’ll wait until someone pirates it on YouTube to see the new content.
I still feel bad for Zeb. He lost both parents in a short time. I think it was 8 months or less apart. It’s a shame that when Lane and Larry passed there was family disfunction taking place. All over a few thousand dollars and the root cause of it was something they were all so passionate about and good at…… deer hunting. Just simple old deer hunting. What a damn shame.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
The Benoit hats appear to be bringing some big money LB. There’s an orange one on eBay right now for 80.00. I’ve had this one since Lane gave it to me when he had the first batch made up. I have some coosies a camo one some place too.

Attachments

Huntermc6

Reaction score
Theres been a guy on eBay selling the DVD Lane had planned on putting out prior to his passing. I’ve seen the video sell for over 80.00 in auction. Last one I saw listed was at a “buy it now “ for 149.00!!!!! I had some great conversations with them all, and was fortunate enough to spend a couple turkey hunts with Lane, but I’ll wait until someone pirates it on YouTube to see the new content.
I still feel bad for Zeb. He lost both parents in a short time. I think it was 8 months or less apart. It’s a shame that when Lane and Larry passed there was family disfunction taking place. All over a few thousand dollars and the root cause of it was something they were all so passionate about and good at…… deer hunting. Just simple old deer hunting. What a damn shame.
Id read in a few different places about the fallout between the brothers and Larry but never knew much about it. I appreciate you sharing some insite into the situation. It really sucks that they stopped making DVDs. They were some of the most successful and entertaining hunters in some of the hardest whitetail hunting areas in North America.

Anybody know if Shane actually did move South to focus on his golf game?

Mikejd

Reaction score
Hunt suburbia podcast put up part 2 yesterday I believe. Looking forward to part 3 next week.

JDK

Reaction score
I don't normally watch these podcasts but I thought Lanny's comment about the number of big deer remaining was very telling.

Big D

Reaction score
I don't normally watch these podcasts but I thought Lanny's comment about the number of big deer remaining was very telling.

That was one of the things I picked up on also. I wish I was around in the early 80's.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I find it funny how he mentioned coming down what he called the Parlin pond road (Spencer rd), and every road had big buck tracks. The last time we got a solid storm early in the night, I was about the first guy on the road system and hit nearly every off shoot all the way to the gold brook road. I didn’t find one big buck track, not even a deer track after mile 1 and those deer were only there because they eat apples on the lawn of the place I rent. Times have changed!

Huntermc6

Reaction score
I find it funny how he mentioned coming down what he called the Parlin pond road (Spencer rd), and every road had big buck tracks. The last time we got a solid storm early in the night, I was about the first guy on the road system and hit nearly every off shoot all the way to the gold brook road. I didn’t find one big buck track, not even a deer track after mile 1 and those deer were only there because they eat apples on the lawn of the place I rent. Times have changed!
I don't hunt up there except for grouse but maybe the deer have learned the same as moose that hanging out near too many roads is trouble. Hal mentioned in a podcast I listened to the other day that he doesn't even bother riding the roads much at all and just picks an area he knows that historically have held big bucks and strikes out on foot.

JDK

Reaction score
That was one of the things I picked up on also. I wish I was around in the early 80's.

I was and it has changed. Unrelated to the podcast, recently I was talking to a hunting buddy (whom I have hunted with since 1984) about the upcoming season. His comment to me was "remember when there was woods in Allagash and nearly every spot had big bucks." It was fun, it was good, and it is sad to see where it has gone.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I don't hunt up there except for grouse but maybe the deer have learned the same as moose that hanging out near too many roads is trouble. Hal mentioned in a podcast I listened to the other day that he doesn't even bother riding the roads much at all and just picks an area he knows that historically have held big bucks and strikes out on foot.
There is certainly some of that for sure, but the woodblocks are much smaller with all the cutting. If a buck doesn’t cross a road, he isn’t going to get laid! They do avoid roads to an extent, and will cut around the ends if they can but there is almost zero pressure on does and has been for years up there so crossing roads for them shouldn’t be too big a deal.

I have nothing to support my theory but I think that since the yards are so few now, that deer are not going too far from them. They get filled to carrying capacity. I think they go earlier and live closer. This creates huge areas void of almost any deer.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Just to add, the 30 mile spencer rd had yards along it. Catheart MT, around Spencer Lake, etc. Who knows where else. I was barely alive when these guys first hunted there. It’s a wasteland now, and the same landowner as between Jackman and Moosehead. Enormous clear cuts are back in style.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
There is certainly some of that for sure, but the woodblocks are much smaller with all the cutting. If a buck doesn’t cross a road, he isn’t going to get laid! They do avoid roads to an extent, and will cut around the ends if they can but there is almost zero pressure on does and has been for years up there so crossing roads for them shouldn’t be too big a deal.

I have nothing to support my theory but I think that since the yards are so few now, that deer are not going too far from them. They get filled to carrying capacity. I think they go earlier and live closer. This creates huge areas void of almost any deer.
This makes a lot of sense. Just think about how small of a tree the harvesters can cut and still deliver to the mills. Doesnt allow for any mature forest to take root and allow for much mixed growth, especially near the roads. Deer yards are all but gone up North so it forces the does and smaller bucks closer to towns. Hopefully the project the MDIFW is taking on with their deer yard preservation will help. That is going to take a long time to get established and working though, immediate benifit wont be likely.

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
Nicely done. Lanny seems very easy to talk to...but not necessarily an easy interview. He loves to tell deer hunting stories...but clearly there are things he chooses not to talk about. You did a nice job of respecting his boundaries while giving him the opportunity to share. And I noticed that you gently came back around to certain areas in an attempt to do so. It's interesting to me that his dad was perhaps the most famous deer hunter in America and Lanny grew up in a family of hunters...but when asking him about how he learned to hunt...his response sounds like he was mostly self-taught. What I understood him to say was that he had to go out and learn by experience more than receiving direct instruction. That's also interesting given that he clearly enjoys sharing his knowledge and taking people out to give direct instruction on how to do it. As an aside....I saw Lanny on the Islands this summer and thought to myself..."wonder what he's doing in these parts"...now I know!!! Hope he sits down with you some more....always entertaining.

Latest posts