New Lanny Benoit Interview

GuyYeti

Reaction score
Hey all, I am new to this forum. I found it by searching for "Larry Benoit knives" and saw a few threads about it.

I was recently lucky enough to be introduced to Lanny Benoit and he wanted to do a podcast to talk about some tracking stories and strategies. After the podcast was done I went over to Lanny's lake camp which is only a few miles from mine and we drank a few beers and shot the shit. We talked a little about his dad's knives and how hard they are to find now. I'd love to get my hands on one if anyone has one and is interested in selling one.

As many of you may know, Lanny has so much knowledge and he is getting up there in age at 75 years old and I think he just wants to talk and get some of these stories recorded. He was such a gracious man and as likable as you can be. My podcast, ironically enough, is called Hunt Suburbia, where he has never hunted! But, I grew up in Vermont and have always wanted to try tracking in the big woods and I have interviewed quite a few trackers on the podcast already (they seem to have the best stories!). Lanny actually invited me to come up and hunt with him for a few days this year which I obviously am going to try and do, if life gives me the time!

Anyways, we sat and talked for 2+ hours, and the next day he told me he forgot to mention a lot of what he wanted to talk about. I think he might want to do a few more episodes. I filmed it, so it will be released on YouTube in video version, and on all streaming platforms in audio version. I need to learn video editing first and hope to put out the podcast in 3 Special episodes, weekly in August or September. if you are interested in seeing it, head to my youtube page and hit the subscribe button so you will be notified when the episodes come out. Here's the link to the YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnTAoU_pbD57UPTeHCEyoKg

If anyone has any questions they want me to ask him if we do another one, post them in the comments here and I'll see what I can do!

Attachments

GuyYeti

Reaction score
I met Lanny in Kenora area 10 years ago. Your assessment of his easy going personality is spot on.
I felt like we were old friends even though I had just met him. His phone doesn’t have service where we are so he just stops by and encouraged me to do the same. Can’t get more down to earth than that.

ahmoore

Reaction score
Saw someone post a short vid of running into Lanny when he was driving down a logging road last season, which got me thinking that it would be awesome to hear him on some podcasts. That is fantastic news and thanks for sharing a preview - looking forward to hearing/seeing! And great to see you join, welcome to HC!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Simply can't wait!!! As for finding a knife for sale...... Morse sporting goods in Hillsboro NH still has some.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Lanny actually invited me to come up and hunt with him for a few days this year which I obviously am going to try and do, if life gives me the time!
I think this is something I would make time for. I don't know about you, but if it was me I'd always kick my self in the backside if I didn't make this happen

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I think this is something I would make time for. I don't know about you, but if it was me I'd always kick my self in the backside if I didn't make this happen
I was invited to Ontario with Lane in 2010. I couldn't afford taking the time off from work. It's one of my biggest regrets in the "woulda, coulda , shoulda file".

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Pat. I've listened to a lot of your podcasts. When will this one be loaded up on Apple Podcast app??? Looking forward to hearing it.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
One day someone said to me, "hey, I have a podcast you'd like. I think the guy is a Vermonter too." The first episode I listened to I realized you grew up right down the road from me (I'm in Poultney) and the guest on that podcast was my college roommate. (Jason Zimmer) Small world. I went back and listened to the old episodes too - nice work. I love hearing the diversity of guests you've had.

arlow

Reaction score
One day someone said to me, "hey, I have a podcast you'd like. I think the guy is a Vermonter too." The first episode I listened to I realized you grew up right down the road from me (I'm in Poultney) and the guest on that podcast was my college roommate. (Jason Zimmer) Small world. I went back and listened to the old episodes too - nice work. I love hearing the diversity of guests you've had.
That's funny, I grew up in Scituate Ma, a couple houses away from Jason's house and was (and still am) good friends with his sister Joanne.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
That's funny, I grew up in Scituate Ma, a couple houses away from Jason's house and was (and still am) good friends with his sister Joanne.
And the world continues to shrink. This better not lead back to Kevin Bacon....

(Is that the guys name that everyone does the networking game with?)

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
"If anyone has any questions they want me to ask him if we do another one, post them in the comments here and I'll see what I can do!"

You have a tremendous opportunity here. It sounds like Lanny is really wanting to share some of his experiences and memories. Please let him know that many of us really want to hear them! The kind of questions that interest me are not the nuts and bolts of hunting or tracking...but the personal stories and memories around his experiences. The early years in Vermont would be of particular interest to me. The littlest details and seemingly unrelated information can make all the difference. Also...the non-hunting related details provide an important and rich context to his experience. Think of the conversations more along the lines of "painting a picture". I would encourage you as the interviewer to really be prepared and intentional about your conversations. I have heard so many bad interviews over the years...in which a person was willing and really wanting to talk but because of a poor job by the interviewer basically nothing of value was gained.

ahmoore

Reaction score
Noticed on Facebook BWB Group Hunt Suburbia's update that it airs today on YouTube at 7 PM EST / 4 PM PCT:

Reaction score
Hey all, I am new to this forum. I found it by searching for "Larry Benoit knives" and saw a few threads about it.

I was recently lucky enough to be introduced to Lanny Benoit and he wanted to do a podcast to talk about some tracking stories and strategies. After the podcast was done I went over to Lanny's lake camp which is only a few miles from mine and we drank a few beers and shot the shit. We talked a little about his dad's knives and how hard they are to find now. I'd love to get my hands on one if anyone has one and is interested in selling one.

As many of you may know, Lanny has so much knowledge and he is getting up there in age at 75 years old and I think he just wants to talk and get some of these stories recorded. He was such a gracious man and as likable as you can be. My podcast, ironically enough, is called Hunt Suburbia, where he has never hunted! But, I grew up in Vermont and have always wanted to try tracking in the big woods and I have interviewed quite a few trackers on the podcast already (they seem to have the best stories!). Lanny actually invited me to come up and hunt with him for a few days this year which I obviously am going to try and do, if life gives me the time!

Anyways, we sat and talked for 2+ hours, and the next day he told me he forgot to mention a lot of what he wanted to talk about. I think he might want to do a few more episodes. I filmed it, so it will be released on YouTube in video version, and on all streaming platforms in audio version. I need to learn video editing first and hope to put out the podcast in 3 Special episodes, weekly in August or September. if you are interested in seeing it, head to my youtube page and hit the subscribe button so you will be notified when the episodes come out. Here's the link to the YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnTAoU_pbD57UPTeHCEyoKg

If anyone has any questions they want me to ask him if we do another one, post them in the comments here and I'll see what I can do!
Welcome! How blessed you were ! I met them all ,have all their books and videos and they loved hearing from a woman who loved to track deer( when I was younger & able to lol) I have a picture with them someplace and Lane even sent me a Coozy ! Can’t wait to see your stuff and am headed to subscribe! I miss all of them ! And ask Lanny if he remembers Wandah haha 🤣 Just some old time Mainah who his son sat with at one of their seminars too 😉

Mikejd

Reaction score
Good stuff I enjoyed that. I wonder what his son is up to I figured he would keep the legacy going but I guess not.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
Good start, looking forward to the other 2 episodes. Wish I could find their DVDs to watch.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Good stuff I enjoyed that. I wonder what his son is up to I figured he would keep the legacy going but I guess not.
I believe he builds racing engines full time.

I know he sold off a couple of the Benoit rifles a few years back.

Latest posts