New Jersey Cancelled Bear Season

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for posting. We are overrun with bear here. More than ever. The Fish and Game council submitted a comprehensive bear management plan that included hunting to the Director and he didn't even look at it. Of course he was appointed by our Liberal Governor who opposes bear hunting.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Yes, thanks for posting. We are overrun with bear here. More than ever. The Fish and Game council submitted a comprehensive bear management plan that included hunting to the Director and he didn't even look at it. Of course he was appointed by our Liberal Governor who opposes bear hunting.
Didn't they ban bear hunting several years back and that resulted in numerous nuisance bear situations? Will they ever learn?

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Boy has this been discouraging. Why do we engage the biologist, experts, if we are not going to listen. Bear are humanized unfortunately. We don't hear the same BS about coyotes or turkeys...

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Boy has this been discouraging. Why do we engage the biologist, experts, if we are not going to listen. Bear are humanized unfortunately. We don't hear the same BS about coyotes or turkeys...

So according to this article, NJ has roughly 3200 bears, yet when you read the article more, 1547 bears were killed by just archery hunting in a 5 year period. I'd say the Fish and Wildlife department doesn't see the foolishness in that population estimate?

Unfortunately you NJ folks let one of your resident lesbians out of the state and she inhabited my town. She isn't a "pro-bear expert" like the lady in the article, instead she's a beaver-ologist. So we are destroying the habitat of two brooks in my town with "beaver deceivers". Effecting a wild brook trout brook, and another that has the largest sucker and smelt spawn in the surrounding area. Her beaver friends take front stage to everything else. The two and four legged ones.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
So according to this article, NJ has roughly 3200 bears, yet when you read the article more, 1547 bears were killed by just archery hunting in a 5 year period. I'd say the Fish and Wildlife department doesn't see the foolishness in that population estimate?
1547 by archery and about 2000 total. So that is about 400 per year for 5 years. 400 bears shot with a total population of 3200 is about 12.5% harvest on the total population of bears which seems reasonable. You were probably thinking that a lot more were killed with a gun,, but most are killed with bow the way our season is set up.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
1547 by archery and about 2000 total. So that is about 400 per year for 5 years. 400 bears shot with a total population of 3200 is about 12.5% harvest on the total population of bears which seems reasonable. You were probably thinking that a lot more were killed with a gun,, but most are killed with bow the way our season is set up.

No I read the entire article, and understood what they were saying. Do you feel the 3200 population number to be accurate? NH suggests we have a population of 6,500. Seeing a bear while driving or in your own yard is a once maybe twice a year occurrence and we're a smaller state.

I was always under the impression NJ has bears running all over the place on a daily occurrence due to the booming population , and of course the YouTube videos I've seen. :D 3200 for a state as large as NJ doesn't seem like an over population problem. Obviously I'm not stumping for banning the season by any means. But is there a huge over run problem down there?

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I bet you had a bunch of flatlanders move to the area with all this crap going on.
Not too bad from the pandemic stand point. We get infiltrated a little more year after year because of the private school that sits right in the middle of town. We'll see how many came in during town meeting when they do us a favor to explain what we've been doing wrong all these years.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
No I read the entire article, and understood what they were saying. Do you feel the 3200 population number to be accurate? NH suggests we have a population of 6,500. Seeing a bear while driving or in your own yard is a once maybe twice a year occurrence and we're a smaller state.

I was always under the impression NJ has bears running all over the place on a daily occurrence due to the booming population , and of course the YouTube videos I've seen. :D 3200 for a state as large as NJ doesn't seem like an over population problem. Obviously I'm not stumping for banning the season by any means. But is there a huge over run problem down there?
I'm not sure how accurate it is, but most of the bears are in the north only. No bears or few in the south. So pretty much all the bears are in the north 1/3 of the state. In the north 1/3 of the state they are very abundant. I bet I see between 100-200 every year while driving locally, hunting or in my yard.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I'm not sure how accurate it is, but most of the bears are in the north only. No bears or few in the south. So pretty much all the bears are in the north 1/3 of the state. In the north 1/3 of the state they are very abundant. I bet I see between 100-200 every year while driving locally, hunting or in my yard.
That’s friggin crazy!!!! We have one of the longest seasons in the state where I live and still see less than a half dozen!!!

Gwlambo

Reaction score
That’s friggin crazy!!!! We have one of the longest seasons in the state where I live and still see less than a half dozen!!!

I have only seen a few bear in Maine - and I grew up there and hunt there every year. As LB stated the bear population here in NJ is in the Northern part of the state. That is also where our people population is. We have 8 million people in the state mostly in the north. The state and federal land is heavy with bears. I see more deer than bears when deer hunting but expect to see bear every week I hunt. Very different from ME/NH. I do love seeing them but it can be a little nervy sneaking thru mountain laurel thickets when there is fresh bear sign every where. I posted a pic from our lake house with a bear that was probably 450 and there is one around that is 700+.

Latest posts