New Hampshire ruffed grouse?

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Hello All:

Last fall I did some deer scouting in the White Mountain region one day and managed to miss a ruffed grouse in the process. I was thinking to myself of making a long weekend of the Columbus Day weekend. Take an additional vacation day to make a four day mini vacation to do some kind of hunting.

I don't expect people to give out their hot spots but in general how does the grouse situation look in New Hampshire? Thank you

mowbizz

Reaction score
Hello All:

Last fall I did some deer scouting in the White Mountain region one day and managed to miss a ruffed grouse in the process. I was thinking to myself of making a long weekend of the Columbus Day weekend. Take an additional vacation day to make a four day mini vacation to do some kind of hunting.

I don't expect people to give out their hot spots but in general how does the grouse situation look in New Hampshire? Thank you
NH FISH AND GANE puts out a really informative survey.
google NH small game survey. That said, most go up to the Pittsburg area for partridge…the north has the highest populations. Nothing wrong with trying your luck in the mountains though!

lester2

Reaction score
Not sure how NH’s spring was but here in VT it was warmer and drier than usual. That’s usually good news for partridge, better chick survival. I deer hunt the WMNF occasionally near Cherry MTN. Seems like I bump a bird or two every day but nowhere near the population pittsburg has. The constant logging up there is just awesome for birds, deer, moose, all wildlife.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Timber company land around Errol, NH is also a good bet. The commercial forest lands of northern NH will have much higher density of grouse than WMNF. That said if your not worried about getting into a bunch of birds, taking some long hikes in the national forest with a shotgun is a great way to spend an early fall day.

NHabrorist

Reaction score
Bird population is always pretty consistent up in the Pittsburg area....so are the number of hunters, especially in the last year. There are some out of the way spots to get to that produce birds. In my opinion you are better to stay south in the Errol and surrounding areas, people tend to shoot right up to the burg and overlook these spots. If you have a dog, that will increase your odds for sure. We have shot birds in the whites, more or less on deer scouting missions. Good luck!

Latest posts