New guy from Texas

D Harry

Reaction score
123.JPG123.JPGPasture Blind March 2019 093.JPGPasture Blind March 2019 240.JPGPasture Blind March 2019 234.JPGThis looks like a forum that I can enjoy! I am attaching a few recent pictures from my game camera..

Pasture Blind March 2019 270.JPG

D Harry

Reaction score
My ranch, low fence, <150 acres, Near Del Rio Texas..Texas ":Hill Country" close to the border w/Mexico.

longbow

Reaction score
My ranch, low fence, <150 acres, Near Del Rio Texas..Texas ":Hill Country" close to the border w/Mexico.
That's quite different country than I am used to. Closest I've been to country like that in recent years is Socorro, NM. Any fish in that big reservoir?

D Harry

Reaction score
Amistad Reservoir is one of the two best bass lakes in Texas and the second largest.

JDK

Reaction score
Is that an aoudad in the last picture?

D Harry

Reaction score
Yes, that is an Aoudad, also pictured Axis Trio, 8 and 10 point (Young) bucks, Grey Fox . In Texas, it is legal to bait with corn so all animals pictured feed on it The feeder is exactly 143 yards from my deer blind, so no long shots are necessary.

D Harry

Reaction score
My grandsons girlfriend nailed an Axis with a head shot!Axis Doe.jpg

D Harry

Reaction score
She wanted to preserve the hide and spoil less meat. Therefore=Head Shot.

D Harry

Reaction score
Not a Texas "Thing." It's something that skilled shooters can do, not all skilled shooters live/hunt in Texas.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Not a Texas "Thing." It's something that skilled shooters can do, not all skilled shooters live/hunt in Texas.
Not trying to argue with you big fella..... It's just that a "head shot" was more then discouraged since I was a kid, whether it be from elders passing hunting along, or during hunter education/safety classes. I guess I'm out of the loop on "skilled shooters" killing game in the head. My bad........

As for "not damaging the hide", or " ruining meat" since when does shooting any animal in the lungs, behind the shoulder ruin meat? And a hole is a hole if it's in the head or behind the shoulder. If you're having the hide tanned any taxidermist worth their salt should be able to fix the hole. Well that's just my opinion, which is why I asked....... apparently we agree to disagree. Good luck this season.

longbow

Reaction score
I can shoot about as good as anyone that I have seen, but after running up and down mountains, thru swamps, and snow, I'll be damned if I am shooting at the bucks head with my peep sighted 99!;) That's a dang small mark to hit!!

Last edited:

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Professionals who remove deer from high deer population area restrict themselves to head shots. With such a hit the deer perishes instantly without movement. They have solid rest, well practiced, and confident in their shots.

At the end of the day I see such a shot coming down to the shooters equipment and confidence.

Congrats to the successful hunter.