New gun, so time for a new scope.

rpc55

Reaction score
VXR 1.25 x4 on my 7600. Love it. Never had an issue with it and if the battery dies you have the cross hairs. Had mine 4 years never an issue. Would recommend 100%

Your right 1.25x4x20. At the lowest setting it is a lot like a reflex sight.

Escout711

Reaction score
Dad had (has) one that he was forever trying to remember if the he used the point or the whole triangle as an aiming point. He's not a diehard shooter, but he switched back to a more standard crosshair scope. He never said anything about sunrise sunset, but having looked through it, I wouldn't say it would be any worse than any other scope.

IMG_5169.JPG

Mikejd

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the trijicon scopes. There's an amber post on CL for 495.00 that's been there for a while. I would think the amber could be a problem at sunrise and sunset?

My buddy hunts with the green post. Best scope I have ever looked through. Little expensive otherwise thats all I would use.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
I definitely think the trijicon is a good scope, just that dad had some trouble with it. Can you imagine seeing that buck and holding the whole triangle over the kill zone (like the bead of a peep), instead of the tip of the fine point on target? You'd hit 6-8 inches higher on the 1x. Then factor in deer movement and my dad getting wound up (which he does) and it just wasn't a good fit.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
I have a 3-9 x 40 on a 7400 and a model 70. Both are physically large and strenuous for still hunting guns.

I like a vx1 2-7x32 I have on a slug gun better than the 3-9s. Mostly because it is a shorter scope.

Something to consider before spending hundreds.

JDK

Reaction score
I have a 3-9 x 40 on a 7400 and a model 70. Both are physically large and strenuous for still hunting guns.

I like a vx1 2-7x32 I have on a slug gun better than the 3-9s. Mostly because it is a shorter scope.

Something to consider before spending hundreds.[/QUOTE

I agree with outdoorsman

Tracker

Reaction score
I love my Nikon Monarch 3x9 BDC very forgiving eye relief they are a bit pricey but if this is ur last one pull the trigger and get this one. Every scoped gun I and my boys own have Nikon's and our bino's as well

NH Hunter

Reaction score

Something to consider before spending hundreds.

Something to consider before spending hundreds.[/QUOTE

I agree with outdoorsman

Now you guys got me thinking...... I had the gun laid on the counter yesterday, then placed the scope on top. My first impression was "that seems big and bulky".

JDK

Reaction score
My 7600 carbine has a Redfield 2x7. Matt's 7600 has a Leupold VX-11 2x7. My Sako has a Leupold 2x7. The 270 I just inherited has a 1.5x6x36 as does my ML. You could say that I like that size scope.

But..

your initial question was for a 3x9 which is how I answered.

Last edited:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
My 7600 carbine has a Redfield 2x7. Matt's 7600 has a Leupold VX-11 2x7. My Sako has a Leupold 2x7. The 270 I just inherited has a 1.5x6x36 as does my ML. You could say that I like that size scope.

But..

your initial question was for a 3x9 which is how I answered.

I know Jay, I'm acting like a broad....... I keep changing my mind

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Definitely look into VX II 2-7X33 perfect size for a scope in New England...even if you are shooting at the occasional longer distance. I picked up a VX2 3-9x40 for my wifes A-bolt and it wasn't that bulky but some other 3-9X40 scopes I've looked at were huge.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
So here' the opinion of today, although I'll probably change my mind again..... I really like the thought of the VXR, but I don't like the cost, and that's not going to be the reality this year with a 3 week unpaid vacation in July, and knowing I'm going to dump a lot of coin on the trip. Sooooooo I agree with outdoorsman that I don't want a big, bulky scope. I like the size of the 2x7x33 Leupold VXII, but I can't find one for under 265.00, which then I'm only a couple hundred from the VXR and feel like I'm just pissing money away on something that won't be "forever" on this gun. I found a Nikon 2x7x32 prostaff for 150.00 which is pretty much the price I don't want to exceed if I'm going to just put a temporary scope on for a couple years. I do want it to be a decent scope for that price range. I'm pretty much set on, but not married to either a Nikon or Leupold though. I did just get a PM from a member who will have a Leupold 3x9x40 for sale, so I'm waiting to hear on a price for that. As for a 3x9x40 I don't mind the size of the leupold VXII.

So to sum it up, I've got a ton of great ideas and I thank you guys all for them, but I still have no idea what the hell I'm going to put on this thing. LOL

Escout711

Reaction score
So here' the opinion of today, although I'll probably change my mind again..... I really like the thought of the VXR, but I don't like the cost, and that's not going to be the reality this year with a 3 week unpaid vacation in July, and knowing I'm going to dump a lot of coin on the trip. Sooooooo I agree with outdoorsman that I don't want a big, bulky scope. I like the size of the 2x7x33 Leupold VXII, but I can't find one for under 265.00, which then I'm only a couple hundred from the VXR and feel like I'm just pissing money away on something that won't be "forever" on this gun. I found a Nikon 2x7x32 prostaff for 150.00 which is pretty much the price I don't want to exceed if I'm going to just put a temporary scope on for a couple years. I do want it to be a decent scope for that price range. I'm pretty much set on, but not married to either a Nikon or Leupold though. I did just get a PM from a member who will have a Leupold 3x9x40 for sale, so I'm waiting to hear on a price for that. As for a 3x9x40 I don't mind the size of the leupold VXII.

So to sum it up, I've got a ton of great ideas and I thank you guys all for them, but I still have no idea what the hell I'm going to put on this thing. LOL

Man, you are a contractor, you know the rule of thumb... Measure twice, cut once! I think that if you put the VXII on there, it would NOT be something you'd be looking to replace, unless you are really dying to have the lighted reticle. The VX II is a GREAT scope. Why pay $150 for something you want to replace from day 1?

NH Hunter

Reaction score
. Why pay $150 for something you want to replace from day 1?

Another great point........but yes, I am pretty hell bent on getting the VXR at some point, and I'm an expert of losing money when getting rid of something. If I bought a 150.00 scope whether it be the Nikon or another, will then go on my Savage 99 someday and replace the cheap Simmons I have on it now.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I've got two bolt actions with leupold 3x9x40, one is a rifleman and the other is a VX I, both great and not too big. My carbine has a new VX II 1x4x20 and that is a great scope for sure. If I didn't want the 1-4 I'd have grabbed the redfield 2-7.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
We have a winner!!!!! Because of the unbelievable generosity of a member here it will be sporting a 3x9x40 leupold VXII. I won't out him until he says it's O.K, but another great example of what this forum is and can be.

Latest posts