New gun, so time for a new scope.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Love to hear some opinions. I looked at the Leupold VX1 today, and a Nikon Prostaff. Both 3x9x40 which is what I want. I'm very hopeful to be sitting in a cut moose hunting again some day, and I do tend to sit power lines and cuts if I have an hour to kill before or after work. A couple guys have me sold on the Leupold VX2 because of the quality, and I liked the lightness of them compared to the Nikon. I don't want to get super carried away in price, but this will most likely be the last brand new rifle I ever buy and set up from start to finish for me. I plan on keeping this one no matter what. Proceed fellas, I'd appreciate your advice and opinions, along with reasons why.

I'd go with a peep, but I'm hitting that magic age of distance vs. close real quick is taking longer to focus. Father time is catching me.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the trijicon scopes. There's an amber post on CL for 495.00 that's been there for a while. I would think the amber could be a problem at sunrise and sunset?

Flatlander

Reaction score
I've got Leupold 2.5 X 8 V III"s on my 7600 and 700 , very nice scopes. I just replaced my Leupold quick detach base and rings with a DNZ one piece base and ring mount on my 7600. The DNZ is aluminum so saved a little weight over the steel leupold.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the trijicon scopes. There's an amber post on CL for 495.00 that's been there for a while. I would think the amber could be a problem at sunrise and sunset?

Dad had (has) one that he was forever trying to remember if the he used the point or the whole triangle as an aiming point. He's not a diehard shooter, but he switched back to a more standard crosshair scope. He never said anything about sunrise sunset, but having looked through it, I wouldn't say it would be any worse than any other scope.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I've got Leupold 2.5 X 8 V III"s on my 7600 and 700 , very nice scopes. I just replaced my Leupold quick detach base and rings with a DNZ one piece base and ring mount on my 7600. The DNZ is aluminum so saved a little weight over the steel leupold.

I want to do this!!! I need to look into that.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Redfield Revolution is pretty good for the money in my opinion. I use a 2-7x with the accurange reticle on all my rifles and even took that set up out west, but you can get it in 3-9x with a 4-plex as well. https://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

Dad had (has) one that he was forever trying to remember if the he used the point or the whole triangle as an aiming point. He's not a diehard shooter, but he switched back to a more standard crosshair scope. He never said anything about sunrise sunset, but having looked through it, I wouldn't say it would be any worse than any other scope.

Thanks Matt. That's what I wanted to hear. I figured I'd have the same issue with the triangle post. I'd really like some sort of lighted dot, but I don't want one I have to turn on. Does anyone know if such an animal is made other than the trijicon? I saw the leupold fire dot, but that looks like it needs to be turned on in order to light up.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Just put a new scope on a 7600 35 Whelen. Went with a Weaver one piece slotted base, Leupold PRW(low) rings, and a Weaver 2.5-7 scope. Looked at the DNZ mount but did not like the two screws per ring as compared to the Leupolds with 4 per ring. As for removable mounts, I have no use for them, with a neoprene scope coat, my scope is always dry and clear.

Last edited:

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Check out the Leopold VXR line. Duplex cross hairs with an illuminated center dot. They have an auto shutoff feature based on movement. You can basically leave it on all the time. It'll turn its self off when you put the gun away. I've hade one on a 7600 for a few years now. I've never had an issue with it. Battery life has not been an issue. I fact my current battery just finished it's 2nd deer season and some additional use in bear hunts because I forgot to swap it out at the start of the season like I normally would.

So yes you have to turn it on. But you can get away with only doing it once if that's what you want.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I've got a couple of Nikon Prostaffs, Nikon Buckmasters, Leupolds, some newer and one older, and a Nikon Monarch. Hands down the Monarch has the nicest glass. Most all of them are 3-9's except one of the Leupolds is a 2-7.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
I have both the Leupold VXII and a Vortex Diamondback in 4 x1 2 x 40mm. Both are great scopes. I would say they are pretty much equal in clarity, light gathering, and crispness of the image around the edges. The biggest differences is the price. The Vortex is about $200 cheaper. They come with a full no questions asked lifetime warranty that is transferable. The are an American outfit out of Wisconsin. You can get a Vortex Diamondback brand new shipped to your door for probably $160. Or you could upgrade to Vortex Viper which would be on par with a Leupold VX-III but only cost about as much as a VX-II.

I still like my Leupolds, but the Vortex really give them a run for their money at much cheaper price. I have a Nikon Prostaff on my muzzloader and have had Nikon Bino's in the past. I personally am not a big fan of the Nikons. The Monarchs are nice but are over-prices for what they are.

Just my 2 cents.

rpc55

Reaction score
I have a Leupold VX-R 1.5 x 4 and am VERY pleased with it. I am going to get the 3x9x40 for my tikka 30-06. Leupold customer service is the best from what I hear.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I've got a couple of Nikon Prostaffs, Nikon Buckmasters, Leupolds, some newer and one older, and a Nikon Monarch. Hands down the Monarch has the nicest glass. Most all of them are 3-9's except one of the Leupolds is a 2-7.

I searched eBay for the Monarch to get an idea of price and size. Does yours have a turret? I'll be perfectly honest..... I have no clue how a turret works, and it might as well be a rubics cube connected to a scope.

Remi

Reaction score
Another vote for the VXR; have a 4-12x40 on my muzzy and Savage 220 and are my favorites that I've personally used. I used to use Vortex and those are pretty damn good too but really wanted that illuminated center reticle so switched to the VXR's - no regrets

rpc55

Reaction score
I am a big fan of one piece scope mounts too. I have DNZ on the tikka, tally on my TC ml. I use them on my AR's too....

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I searched eBay for the Monarch to get an idea of price and size. Does yours have a turret? I'll be perfectly honest..... I have no clue how a turret works, and it might as well be a rubics cube connected to a scope.

No turret, that's too complicated for me. I just looked quickly and couldn't even find the Monarch in a 3-9. Maybe they don't make the model I've got anymore? I'll look around when I get the chance, right now I'm getting packed up to head to Maryland.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
No turret, that's too complicated for me. I just looked quickly and couldn't even find the Monarch in a 3-9. Maybe they don't make the model I've got anymore? I'll look around when I get the chance, right now I'm getting packed up to head to Maryland.

have fun and good luck

Fixed blade

Reaction score
I have a Leupold VX-R 1.5 x 4 and am VERY pleased with it. I am going to get the 3x9x40 for my tikka 30-06. Leupold customer service is the best from what I hear.

VXR 1.25 x4 on my 7600. Love it. Never had an issue with it and if the battery dies you have the cross hairs. Had mine 4 years never an issue. Would recommend 100%

Latest posts