New deer hunters - need some guidance CA based

CamaroMan

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Wife and I collected our first hunting rifles last month and plan to try get tags next year for deer with some practice at the range before season. We have NO idea where to begin-

We are both pretty fit and ourdoorsy - but quite inexperienced. We are aware of prepping and carrying out etc - so obviously wont be targeting any crazy expeditions for big game at first.

We live near LA but have a love for the redding area and will happily travel upstate-

1. Id be interested to know what areas are a good starting point to apply tags for that arent crazy difficult nor super easy/crowded-
  2. Any general hunting tips to prep us? we do watch ALOT of yt videos -
  3. Base gear for day trips into the hills and base camp options? We have a 4wd truck with a very nice roof top tent so we can pretty much survive comfortably in snowy areas-

thanks!

fyi- we both got tikka t3x in 7mm rem mag- wife is 6ft2 and quite tough but we might first try lower grain loads :) i doubt we will be any good at over 200 yards :) we have scopes, binos as well-

CamaroMan

Reaction score
If anyone does have "spots" they wouldnt mind sharing feel free to private message me discreetly. I am from south africa living here for 5 years now, so have NO clue where the spots around CA are :)

mowbizz

Reaction score
I would go to a local sporting goods (guns and ammo) store and inquire…outside of that, check out some of the national forests and ask park rangers where to hunt. Please post pics of 6’2” “tough” wife so we can determine what kind of wild game she could wrestle into submission 😂 Who needs rifles with a wife like that???
I would pay to see videos of that!! 😉 haha…just kidding but ya…post a pic of that perfect woman!! 🤣

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
I would go to a local sporting goods (guns and ammo) store and inquire…outside of that, check out some of the national forests and ask park rangers where to hunt. Please post pics of 6’2” “tough” wife so we can determine what kind of wild game she could wrestle into submission 😂 Who needs rifles with a wife like that???
I would pay to see videos of that!! 😉 haha…just kidding but ya…post a pic of that perfect woman!! 🤣
She can help you drag the big one.

Attachments

Xbolt

Reaction score
As far as the rest of your post I recommend watching fresh tracks with randy newburg
Join his website sight ( hunt talk) lot of experience on that sight

CamaroMan

Reaction score
You could be standing on milk crates for all we know. :)
yup exactly! or moose heads!

Well stuck in cali - the weather is really that good and we live outside of the congestion so its kinda chill here and zero crime - what can i say.. very nice place actually - who cares about politics anyways. Prius drivers can moan about the environment and the libtards can try their little battery operated utopia warcry till it comes crashing down on them :)

many peeps down here are level headed - the media represents only the tiny cry baby percentage - the real world is very different.

Either way - will be hunting (or trying to hunt here) so moving - hmmm, nope. I am south african and can probably go hook up some hunting there no probs - for now CA is my home so gotta try make something out of it.

Xbolt

Reaction score
We have only been in little cali (ny) for less then a year, And we will be out here in,mid march /early april I forgot just how bad this state was when I.left 30 yrs ago it hasnt changed only gotten worse

Latest posts