New CVA Accura

medrhunter

Reaction score
I picked up a new CVA Accura MR-X 50 Cal a few weeks back.
Just got it set up with a scope tonight.
Anybody shoot this ML and want to share their Pet Loads?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I have the same one. Somebody who shoots that rifle a lot gave me this load and it is great. Barnes TMZ 290 grain sabots, 100 grains of Blackhorn. I also have the Blackhorn breech plug. He said the TEZ don't shoot as well. I can shoot a half dozen shoots without swabbing the barrel and the groups are tight.
I shot a big doe with it so far. 50 yards and it dropped in it's tracks with a high chest shot. In and out.
IMG_3104.jpg IMG_3104.jpg

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
I have the same one. Somebody who shoots that rifle a lot gave me this load and it is great. Barnes TMZ 290 grain sabots, 100 grains of Blackhorn. I also have the Blackhorn breech plug. He said the TEZ don't shoot as well. I can shoot a half dozen shoots without swabbing the barrel and the groups are tight.
I shot a big doe with it so far. 50 yards and it dropped in it's tracks with a high chest shot. In and out.
View attachment 26220 View attachment 26220
LB is that 100gr by weight or volume???

medrhunter

Reaction score
Is that the LR or MR? The reason I ask is my ramrod is not attached to the rifle.
Its a fold up that came in a nice pouch.
I did get a black horn breach plug as well.
But out of the box Its shooting 4" group at 80 yards with 100 gr triple 7 and remington 295 gr Powerbelts
5 shots before I cleaned it.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Is that the LR or MR? The reason I ask is my ramrod is not attached to the rifle.
But out of the box Its shooting 4" group at 80 yards with 100 gr triple 7 and remington 295 gr Powerbelts
Ditch the powerbelts and the 777. That gun will shoot MOA with blackhorn 209 and Barnes or other quality bullet/sabot combo. My best loads are 95 gr (vol) of BH, with a 50 cal crushed rib sabot, and a Hornady 44 cal FTX in 225 gr. My TC Omega shoots keyholes with that load. With blackhorn you can shoot that gun 25 times without cleaning and without seeing any decline in performance. When your done you clean it with regular gun solvent.

The harvester crushed rib sabots work extremely well and they are fairly inexpensive. You can get them them for 50 cal for 45 cal bullet or 50 cal for 44 cal bullet.

I also can buy the bullets much cheaper than standard "muzzleloader bullets" by buying them in the reloading section.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
MR. I also got the Barnes loader that attaches to the end of your ram rod so it perfectly seats the bullet without deforming it.

groundtender

Reaction score
I second the advice to “ditch the 777”. My .45 cal CVA inline ( forgotten the model) grouped well with 777 powder only if I wiped the barrel after every shot. The Blackhorn groups well with less frigging around. 5 shots before wiping. Lots of testimony about 30 shots with Blackhorn, and I wish I could get away with that, but it’s probably me.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
I second the advice to “ditch the 777”. My .45 cal CVA inline ( forgotten the model) grouped well with 777 powder only if I wiped the barrel after every shot. The Blackhorn groups well with less frigging around. 5 shots before wiping. Lots of testimony about 30 shots with Blackhorn, and I wish I could get away with that, but it’s probably me.
I think CVA has a bit tighter barrels than TC does. My TC Omega literally can go 25 or 30 shots without needing a swab. A buddy of mine who shoots a CVA its more like 6 to 8 shots.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Thanks all
I wasn't married to the 777 & PB.
Just what I had on hand from the freebee MZ I had.
Hunted once with it, lost a big 8 because the gun misfired.
Didn't hunt with MZ after that
Sounds like BH is overwelming consensus.
I'll give it a whirl.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks all
I'll give it a whirl.
Let us know. The Barnes TEZ may be fine, but a friend said the TMZ are the way to go, got tighter groups. He does a lot of shooting. Once I get a few on the pie plate I am done!
Get the little barnes loader also. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/barnes-muzzleloader-bullet-aligner-jag

benny8

Reaction score
Thanks all
I'll give it a whirl.
I shot 777 for a number of years. If you used to hot of primers you dealt with a crud ring that messed with seating of the next round. It also lead to hang fires. I switched over to white hots and have used Powerbelts since owning a inline. 100 grain White Hot pellets(2x50 grain) and 245 Powerbelt Aerotips have killed multiple deer over the years for us and clean up is a breeze. For me, if its not broke, I'm not fixing it. I, however, have heard a lot of people love the Blackhorn.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Blackhorn 209 is a great powder but availability has been poor for awhile and is going to be a problem for at least the rest of this year. It’s starting to show up at Walmart’s so now might be a good time to get it if you can.
I’ve also heard that Hodgdon has reduced the size of the container from 10oz to 8oz which makes an expensive powder more expensive yet.

Last edited:

medrhunter

Reaction score
Blackhorn 209 is a great powder but availability has been poor for awhile and is going to be a problem for at least the rest of this year. It’s starting to show up at Walmart’s so now might be a good time to get it if you can.
I’ve also heard that Hodgdon has reduced the size of the container from 10oz to 8oz which makes an expensive powder more expensive yet.
I'm having the same issue. Can't find it anywhere. The 8oz & 10 oz labels are different colors. 8oz has Blue Label, 10 oz is Orange. I did pick up some TMZ's hopefully find some powder soon to see how its shoots.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I've used a lot of my blackhorn trying to sight in my Woodman. If I can't find more, I'll just use pellets.

I'm not saying it's the Blackhorn for sure, but I never once had a misfire with pellets. I've had 4 since switching to blackhorn, with 2 different guns, but also the same box of primers.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I've used a lot of my blackhorn trying to sight in my Woodman. If I can't find more, I'll just use pellets.

I'm not saying it's the Blackhorn for sure, but I never once had a misfire with pellets. I've had 4 since switching to blackhorn, with 2 different guns, but also the same box of primers.
BH209 is definitely harder to ignite than any other black powder substitute. If you’re using a CVA you need to get their breech plug designed for it. You do not need a special breech plug for any other gun but you have to be diligent in cleaning it. It’s not enough to clean the breech plug with solvents, there is carbon building up that won’t come out. You have to use a drill bit spun just by your fingers to get the hardened carbon out and a torch tip cleaner from the other end. It’s easiest to hold the drill bit in a pin vice. BH209 also needs to have a bullet firmly seated against it, a loose sabot will screw you. Lastly, I use CCI 209M primers because I believe they’re the hottest shotgun primer available.

Latest posts