new 760 owner !

kneedragger

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got a great deal on a almost new 760 made in the late 70s and finally own the pump gun i always wanted.

Seems like the williams wgrs 742 is the peep sight to buy, and im wondering which firesight bead do I need (higher or not) ?

The rifle fits me perfectly, and the stock open sights are almost at the right place for me.

I want to install a peep sight on this gun so I spent the last 2 hours searching the site for pictures and post about this, and since i live in canada, i will probably have to wait for weeks before I receive my new peep and bead ... i hoped you guys could help me buy the right front bead . The riffle has a 22 inch barrel that i will have shortened very soon to 18 or 19 inches.

Also, i have both the front sling stud on the forearm and the regular one on the barrel. I want to use the barrel mount for my sling, and wondering if there is a way to remove the forearm mount from the forearm screw to make it look a bit cleaner.

thanks

Flatlander

Reaction score
Nice shootin iron! Your mileage might vary but those fiber optic sights are way to fragile for my liking.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats on the new rifle. I think you've got the right peep, and you will need to elevate that front bead, I think it's a .5 inch height bead, but some of it depends how you're going to have the smith put a new front sight on after he shortens it. If he cuts the dovetail into the barrel it will be one height, if he installs a ramp with a screw, it will be another.

DeerMeadowFarm

Reaction score
The old William's catalogs used to tell you what height you needed but if you are having it cut down, just let the gunsmith figure it out for you.

Congrats!

buckshot

Reaction score
Nice weapon. I used to love the o6 with a peep on it. Shot some of my biggest buck with it. Within 80 yards they are dead. good luck

kneedragger

Reaction score
Here are a couple more pics. Had the chance to shoot the gun twice last weekend. Didn't have the peep sight so i used the regular iron sights and still managed to shoot very well. its a keeper. Trigger needed attention so I took it apart to give it a good cleanup

I also lightly polished the sear and it made a immediate improvement. With the lighter spring, should be a fairly good trigger for very few dollars. I cant believe timney wants 90 bucks for 3 springs and a small metal part. :eek:

On the third picture, you can see the bolt i want to replace by one that fits flush to the forearm. Anybody knows a cross-reference part from the 870 or 7600 that could do the trick ?

DeerMeadowFarm

Reaction score
You need a "Fore end cap screw" number 54 in this schematic:

rem-model760.gif

I don't have the part number because my manuals cover an older 760 than yours which (I think) may use a different mounting set-up for the forearm and a slightly newer 7600 which may use the same bolt but I'm not sure.

There is an auction for one here: http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10481307

Or you may want to just call Remington at 1-800-243-9700 and tell them what you have as I'm guessing the bolt is interchangable from your style of 760 (1978) to the 7600's which came out in 1981.

Good luck!

kneedragger

Reaction score
thanks, anybody use the tritium sights that glow in the dark on pump rifles ??

trackah

Reaction score
Hi Guys, resurrecting an old thread here. I just acquired an older late 1950's 760. I'm exited to bringing this rifle back into the woods where she belongs. The rifle has a 22 in barrel, and has an old scope base mounted on no ramp site. I want to add a peep sight. So long story shorty, I'm looking at the Williams WGRS-742. my question for those of you who hae done this is, what do i need for a front blade site? i.e. i the a model number or bead height?

Also interested in any other options that may be out there.

Thanks for any help you an share

Trackah

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Guys, resurrecting an old thread here. I just acquired an older late 1950's 760. I'm exited to bringing this rifle back into the woods where she belongs. The rifle has a 22 in barrel, and has an old scope base mounted on no ramp site. I want to add a peep sight. So long story shorty, I'm looking at the Williams WGRS-742. my question for those of you who hae done this is, what do i need for a front blade site? i.e. i the a model number or bead height?

Also interested in any other options that may be out there.

Thanks for any help you an share

Trackah
Congrats on the new rifle! Is the front sight on the rifle now? Here is some info. that I found on front sights. https://huntingchat.net/threads/front-sight-height-4-760-carbine.47771/

ahmoore

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice 760! In case you're considering other options beyond the Williams setup, I noticed on the Big Woods Bucks Facebook page recently:

"Important Announcement! Skinner Sights will be producing "Skinner BWB Tracker" peep sights in the near future. They will initially be produced for the Remington 760/7600's and Marlin lever guns, followed by the Browning BLR and BAR family of rifles. Skinner's owner Andy Larson is collaborating with Hal Blood and the rest of the BWB Team to make the best possible peep sight for the tracker/still hunter here in the Northeast and elsewhere. We look forward to getting our hands on these sleek, rock solid sights!"

hammertime

Reaction score
Did it have a ramp? And now it's missing? Or does it have a dovetail cut into the barrel? If you need a ramp you can have mine that I just removed when I shortened my barrel. Unfortunately I can not use peeps anymore

trackah

Reaction score
Thank you Guys!

I don't know how i missed that post Longbow. I assume that the height will be the same on the 22" barrel as the carbine mentioned in the posts.

Yes the rifle does has the original ramped front sight, so I will go home tonight and do some measuring.

I'm definitely interested in the Skinner sight. Actually i had sent an email to skinner to see what they offered and didn't hear back from him. I'll head to the BWB page and see what i an dig up.

Thanks again for the leads, I'll post up some photos when i finish the restore

hammertime

Reaction score
I have a skinner express sight for my blr. They are a quality sight from a good guy. Cannot go wrong with skinner

Latest posts