Never made it to VT, but IA was good

Ingen

Reaction score
Sorry I have not posted much here for a while. I have been incredibly busy this fall with work/hunting/church/ and a baby on the way. I really wanted to come hunt the farm in VT this year, but I did not make it. I WILL be coming up to Ice Fish soon though. My Iowa season was pretty incredible though.

On October 1st, opening day, I shot my number one target buck for the year. Made a perfect shot at 45 yards. 165" and 255 lbs. He would have been a 300lb deer during the rut. I have sent in a tooth to be aged, but based on history I believe he was 7 1/2 or 8 1/2 years old
1514309410404.jpg

Then I really laid off the hunting until the rut got going around Halloween. I hunted every day starting October 28th. I passed a lot of younger bucks, and on November 8th I was able to get a 35 yard shot at a wide buck I knew very very well from trail camera pictures. he scored 158" and weighed 265 lbs. he was 4 1/2 years old
1514309159770.jpg

Then I went back to work, and didn't hunt again until Muzzleloader season. On 12/20 I went to the same spot where I shot my opening day buck. The first deer I saw was an ancient old mature buck that was cruising looking for doe fawns coming into heat. 100 yard shot with my muzzleloader. Hit him perfect and he ran only 50 yards. 150" as a mainframe 8 point with 2 stickers. Only 15" wide but nearly 7" bases. he was also over 275 lbs on December 20th...a month and a half after the peak rut! He had almost no fat left. He also would have been over 300 in late October. I had never seen this buck before, but there is no question he was super old. I would say 5-7 years old.
1514308512443.jpg

I really cannot complain about how my season has gone, although it is a shame I have had the farm in VT 2 years now and only been on it twice. Ohh well...those pike better watch out pretty soon.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
As much as I love my home state, don't get too broken up....All the inches in my entire life don't add up to what you put down this year. Thats a huge year. How does it work with the tags there? You probably get a regular archery, then a landowner tag, or do you get 2 of those?

Big D

Reaction score
Wow! Those are some serious deer right there. Most people would be lucky to get one of those in a lifetime. Are those dressed weights? Congrats on a phenomenal year.

Lavman

Reaction score
Well by gawd you must have been bearing right down hard on your prayer handles to come away with a year like that! Way to go!

arlow

Reaction score
Awesome! What a season! Big congrats!

I am heading out there in 2019 hopefully with my buddy. We have 2 preference points each now.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats!! Don't worry about VT for deer hunting. Come do other stuff, but stick to what you're doing for whitetails...

JDK

Reaction score
Very nice bucks.

Last edited:

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Wow - wack 'em and stack 'em! Congrats on a hell of a season. I have to imagine each of those is going on the wall - you are making some taxi's very happy!

Flatlander

Reaction score
You should have given them another year to fill out. Just being a peckah head, congratulations on a great year.

Ingen

Reaction score
As much as I love my home state, don't get too broken up....All the inches in my entire life don't add up to what you put down this year. Thats a huge year. How does it work with the tags there? You probably get a regular archery, then a landowner tag, or do you get 2 of those?
As I resident, I get one statewide archery tag, one statewide gun tag, and one landowner tag.