Need help...looking for bow

JUNEBUGG

Reaction score
I could use some help finding a newer bow..Haven't bow hunted since the late '90s and I'd like to get a bow newer than my Golden Eagle.Bow cannot break the bank and doesn't have to be brand new.I'd like to get back into bow hunting and don't know where to start with a bow upgrade.I'm a lefty and can't really remember the draw length on my old bow.Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated!

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Most every one of the bow companies offer "budget friendly" models and packages that are a HUGE upgrade to what you currently have. Head to your nearest pro shop and see what they offer and try out a few different models.

Escout711

Reaction score
You need to start off by going to a reputable bow shop. Get your draw length measured, shoot a few bows, figure out how much weight you want to draw. You also need to know your budget. Just prepared to spend more than you think you will. In addition to the bow, you’ll need all the accessories. Rest, sight, quiver, stabilizer, arrows. If you ask for recommendations on a specific bow, you’ll get 100 different answers from people because it’s like asking “what’s the best truck?” The good news is that pretty much any modern bow is going to feel amazing compared to your old bow. They draw easier, have much more letoff. Stay away from the “ready to shoot packages” that most manufacturers have available. They usually come with junk accessories on them that you will want to change immediately. If you look around and don’t require the flagship bow from a particular brand, you can buy a lower level model brand new for $400-$500. A flagship bow will set you back $900-$1200. Figure another $400-$500 for accessories. If you get your draw length measured, you can search the used market. I have gotten my last 2 bows used on Archerytalk for short money, and I have no regrets. More and more bows are now offered with adjustable draw lengths, instead of fixed draw lengths, which is very nice.

JDK

Reaction score
I'm giving myself hives even saying this and if you can get past his BS, Old Town Archery may be helpful.

longbow

Reaction score
Come on, you should whittle him one if you want to be encouraging him to stay old school LMAO!!
I was going to say cut a tree down and start drying it and you will be ready to go in a few years. lol I just think it would be cool if he dusted the old one off and shot a deer with it. I bet he could put all his shots in a baseball size group or better at 20-30 yards with it.

UltraTec

Reaction score
I do have to disagree with escout's assertion that "ready to shoot" packages come with junk accessories. Most of the companies offer packages with low, middle and high end options on the accessories and you can often tailor them to your budget.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I think its important to remember that its easy to fall victim of paralysis by analysis with archery gear. If you go to a reputable shop, and they set you up in a modern bow, its going to be 10x what the old golden eagle was. (I know first hand) Entry level, or lightly used bows are great, but only seem to reach their potential when you have a pro help set it up.

I personally bought a lightly used high end bow a few years back and I love it.
My 14yr old bought a brand new Mission from a good dealer, set up and out the door for around $450, and he's as deadly as I am, probably more. (Although, he doesn't drink beer while we target shoot in the yard, so he has an advantage)

VTHunter08

Reaction score
So many people buy THE Brand new greatest bow on earth every 1-2 years, so there is a ton of 1-2 year old bows out there that you can get for half the price. Most bow shops that sell new bows also have a good selection of these slightly used bows. My buddy and I bought Primes last year about this time. He went brand new with the centergy, I went with a very very slightly used one year old Rize. After accessories he was $2k+, I never hit $1k. Like escout said go to a few shops, shoot a few different bows. See what feels best for you. Just a heads up, the market for bows in the last 3-5 years has drastically changed. Its all speed speed and more speed. So the draw and release on most bows will feel more aggressive then you remember.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
I will say you'll struggle a little more then others looking for slightly used LEFT handed bows. There's just not a lot out there. My wife is left handed and she wanted a used bow but we just couldn't find anything. And even finding a new ladies left handed bow in stock (in the right color obviously) was difficult. We ended up special ordering a bear apprentice for her. Cheap enough, and its small so it fits her well. But your looking at a good time, you got a few months to figure everything out before velvet is shed ;)

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I prefer to think of it as "Draw Lube"
See, this is why its important to have a relationship with a pro-shop guy. He can get you up to speed with the latest vernacular.

It makes sense to call it "draw lube" because its definitely not "liquid bullseye getter"

Wandling

Reaction score
I would stick with the golden eagle myself. If you’re set on a newer one check eBay. I’ve bought 3 bows there. I’ve been shooting PSE for about 6 years now. I really like the fact that they are all adjustable draw length without a press. The PSE bow madness epix is a great bow. You can get one ready to shoot for around $600 and under. Alot of pro shops sell on eBay and come tuned and ready to go. Adjust your draw length and you’re ready. P. S. Speed kills but I like a hard hitting heavy arrow. Build your arrows for a total weight of around 500 grain or more. I shoot easton 340 arrows with a 125 grain head and 100 grain brass inserts. They fly great and hit hard.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
See, this is why its important to have a relationship with a pro-shop guy. He can get you up to speed with the latest vernacular.

It makes sense to call it "draw lube" because its definitely not "liquid bullseye getter"
I disagree...we call them group tighteners for a reason!!!

bmiller

Reaction score

thats pretty good "
liquid bullseye getter " i have to remember that

Billy02

Reaction score
Go to a nearby shop and maybe see few bows, and choose the one which you find the best. what if we suggest and after purchasing you dont like it? so better to go and try a few.