Nebraska/So. Dakota Merriams Trip.

TGS

Reaction score
This spring I was able cross off one of my bucket list hunts. The drive from Maine to Nebraska was a grind...not going to lie. After about 29 hours behind the wheel, we had arrived. Very different scenery from what we're use to here in the east, but beautiful.

neb2.jpg neb3.jpg neb4.jpg neb5.jpg neb6.jpg neb7.jpg neb8.jpg neb9.jpg neb10.jpg

TGS

Reaction score
We saw birds in SD, but nothing we wanted to shoot but what a fun time and great scenery. On our way from SD to Neb. we stopped at Mt Rushmore to do the tourist thing, we also managed a winery stop along the way too.

neb12.jpg neb13.jpg neb14.jpg neb15.jpg

JDK

Reaction score
Very nice.

Friend of mine who used to guide in Allagash just moved to South Dakota based almost entirely on the hunting opportunities.

TGS

Reaction score
We hunted the Black Hills National Forest while in SD. That's a vast wilderness. Lots of wildlife though. We saw 4 elk on different occasions but couldn't get my phone out quick enough. Amazing animals.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Thats one great trip ! Beautiful birds ! Are you both venturing out to complete the Turkey Grand Slam ?

Reactions: TGS

TGS

Reaction score
Thats one great trip ! Beautiful birds ! Are you both venturing out to complete the Turkey Grand Slam ?
No, not intentionally anyways. I just always liked Merriams. I was fortunate enough to guide a handicapped hunter in Texas a few years back. After she got shot her Rio I hunted a couple days and shot mine as well. Just missing that Florida bird now....

troy texas turkey.jpg

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Great photos!!! Thanks for taking the time to post it up. SD is absolutely on my bucket list!!!

Meatseeker

Reaction score
That trip is on my bucket list too! Thanks for sharing. Amazing photos! Did you hunt public land in Nebraska as well? Any details on places you stayed and public land that you hunted that you are willing to share would be much appreciated!

TGS

Reaction score
South Dakota was all public land hunting, Nebraska was on private as I have a buddy who lives out there. If you're looking for SD intell I might be to share a little but the birds there were not very cooperative. Especially compared to an eastern. Could be they had been pressured too though, but we saw very little sign in the form of tracks, strutting or even feathers in SD

LHunter47

Reaction score
Great photos! Yeah, Nebraska really should be on the bucket list for whitetail and muley. It's a shame there isn't more public land to hunt, but I found a few deals on LandTrust, which is a recreation access network (https://bit.ly/388e9F1), to hunt on some ranches and farms last year. Overall it was a great experience. Maybe give that a shot if you are trying to check Nebraska off the bucket list.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Western Nebraska has some public land and they are one of the few states with OTC tags. I always say to myself that I will go on such a hunt and for some reason never do. I need to get off my rear end and pony up.

TGS

Reaction score
Western Nebraska has some public land and they are one of the few states with OTC tags. I always say to myself that I will go on such a hunt and for some reason never do. I need to get off my rear end and pony up.

Fortunately we had a private land connection, so didn't need public land. We were on the western border too, Scottsbluff area. Beautiful country, but hot....Good luck if you get out that way.

Latest posts