my thoughts after the first year

12 ring

Reaction score
Even though the deer season is still open for archery in some parts of Ga. I doubt I will get out any more this year. I started the year with archery season starting the 13th of Sept. then Muzzy season the 11 of Oct. for a week and then rifle season from the 18th of Oct. till Dec 31. the archery season stared out very exciting I saw a lot of deer. But then I shot one, I was not sure of the hit so I left the woods and came back 4 hours latter. I found no blood so I started doing circles after 15 min I found my deer and was horrified. There were so many ticks and green flys on that deer I really didn't want to touch it. But I did drag it out and butcher it up. But that was it no more bow hunting when the temps were in the 80's and 90s. I did bow hunt a few more times but looking for a house and then when we did find one was very busy with the move.
I did get out during the week of muzzy season. the only place we (my son and I ) had to hunt was the national forest in Monticello. I saw 3 deer on the opener had no shots but I did miss a cyot. the rest of the week was a bust, my son seen a small doe but no shot.
During the rifle season my son shot a beauty of a 10 point the second trip out, all I saw after multiple trips out there was a quick flash of a deer. I was getting bummed as all I ever heard about Ga is the great deer hunting but I surly was not seeing it. My son and his wife came up from Fla. for the week of Thanksgiving we went back to Monticello for a Mon- Wed hunt and again nothing. The day after Thanksgiving I woke up and my son was already up, it was still pretty dark out. I said to my son you should take my cross bow and got out back and see if anything comes by ( I do see deer back there every time I'm back there.) He did and 15 min latter I got a call to come help him he just shot a small doe. I was not happy he shot a small doe I had been passing on them for over a month waiting for a decent buck. When I got back to him he was just coming out of the stand He saw the deer fall and roll down the ridge not 40 yards from the stand. I walked over and it was a nice 6 point buck. I said I thought you said it was a small doe? he said I did just to get your dander.
The week before thanksgiving I got permission to hunt a small piece of woods but the owner told me I could not bring any one else out there as it was too small. He was right from my climbing stand I could see almost his whole property. The first day in the stand I shot a big doe and was feeling real good about it because of the lack of deer I was seeing in Monticello.
Well back to my sons deer we took it to a cooler/butcher and being new to the area we got lost going home. As it turned out this was the best thing that could of happened. Just when I figured out where we were my son stopped his truck and asked a man picking up his trash barrel if we could hunt his property. He told us his property was too small but the man next door owns 30 ac. and might let us hunt. We went next door and it was a gated driveway. the man next door told us the mans name which sounded familiar to me but I couldn't place it but you know how names go there are a lot of people with the same names. Anyway my son rang the bell and said he wanted to see the man living there. I couldn't believe they opened the gate. When we got to the house a woman came out and said can I help you John is not here right now but sure enough just as soon as she got the words out of her mouth out he came. We asked for permission to hunt and he said he used to hunt back there but hadn't in years and sure we could hunt. I said why does your name sound so familiar? He said well I used to play ball for the Atlanta Braves. And it hit me this was no ordinary ball player this was a 3 time all star and team leading hr hitter. Any way back to hunting. We went home gathered out stuff and went back in the woods. To make a long story shorter my son shot a beautiful 8 point (yep 2 deer in one day) and I shot a doe for the land owner.
So any way to say that pretty much saved my deer season. I also shot a 6 point on the other small property just before Christmas.
I see deer every time a go hunting now on the private land.

In summery this is what I have to say about Ga. deer hunting. There is plenty of public land but it is hunted hard, I am sure there are plenty of deer there but they are very smart, and you have to do a lot of scouting to be successful. Which I never got to do before the season. Don't believe everything you hear. Every one told me that no one will give you permission to hunt their land so go public or join a club. Well I can say I have asked 4 people to hunt 2 stated they didn't have enough land and were actually right, 2 gave me permission. I have found that if you are lucky enough to get private land to hunt it is great hunting. I bet I saw well over 100 deer from my stand between Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I see now that a lot of the TV shows we see are true. You see so many deer you can be picky. I filled up my freezer with doe's and then became one of those picky hunters. I did shoot the 6 point as I had a little room in my freezer and had not taken a buck yet. One big problem is at least one deer a week is hit by cars in my neighborhood. I wanted to do a hunter for the hungry but the closest place for drop off is 80 miles from me and I may generous but not that generous. But this is my take of Ga. deer hunting so far. I hope next year to give a Ga Hog report as well but that's a little further south from me. Just my 2 cents thanks for reading.

UltraTec

Reaction score
Thanks for the report Mike - Glad you are making some good connections for hunting land!

NY Hunter

Reaction score
Doesn't sound half bad for your first year in a new state. Next year will be better yet, you'll be totally settled in, meet new people and make more contacts, and hopefully find a few hot spots.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Nice recap Mike...by this time next year, you'll have several hunting spots to choose from and you'll be doing just fine....

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Mike I'd say formthe first year in and not much time to scout you did very well. It will be interesting to see what else you conjure up for more private land between now and then!!!

sethdeyo

Reaction score
Enjoyed the read! My brother who does not hunt lives in Charlestown South Carolina. I am hoping to get down there next year and do some Southern Hunting of my own. Will only have a short time to figure it out. Hopefully my learning curve is close to yours. Congrats on your successful year!

12 ring

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the encouragement. I joined the local VFW today and may have made some more contacts. We shall see.

ahmoore

Reaction score
Great rundown, thanks for sharing all your perspectives, especially private vs public. This season will be that much better!