Muzzleloader hunting OH

benny8

Reaction score
How is the muzzleloader hunting in OH on public land? It looks like the last of the "firepower" seasons. Wife wants to go on a out of state hunt, so was wondering about Ohio. We would like to do it ourselves, not having the kind of money outfitters are getting. Any information on public lands and accommodations is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I've been out twice for shotgun season and once for January muzzle loader. I liked the January hunt better. There are way less hunters in the woods. The deer dont seem as high strung either.

The downside is that some bucks have shed their horns. It can also be very cold. When I went it was in the single digits at night and high teens during the day. The deer down there do not move in cold weather with snow. The last day it warmed up to 45 and there were deer everywhere.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I've been out the last two seasons for Shotgun. I always leave saying that I will never go back, but a year later I end up going. There are a ton of people in the woods during shotgun season. The best tactic is to find a good spot to sit and stay there all day.

I much prefer tracking in the snow, but my Father in-law(more like a real dad to me) loves Ohio, and I love hunting with him. It's always a touch choice for me come November. Go on a hunting trip to Maine (I've always wanted to) or go hunting with Dad.

micheleee

Reaction score
Public land gets hammered pretty hard. Most of the deer hunters here only go out during gun season, so there's a lot of competition for public land. If you are going to go out, you will probably need to hike in quite a ways.

Do you know where you were thinking of going? I work for the division of wildlife, so I have been to a lot of the wildlife areas and might be able to help you out.

benny8

Reaction score
Public land gets hammered pretty hard. Most of the deer hunters here only go out during gun season, so there's a lot of competition for public land. If you are going to go out, you will probably need to hike in quite a ways.

Do you know where you were thinking of going? I work for the division of wildlife, so I have been to a lot of the wildlife areas and might be able to help you out.
Much appreciated, due to lack of vacation time(wife), it looks like this hunt will not happen until next season(2017-18). If it is ok, can I get in touch with you then? Again, thank you.

micheleee

Reaction score
Much appreciated, due to lack of vacation time(wife), it looks like this hunt will not happen until next season(2017-18). If it is ok, can I get in touch with you then? Again, thank you.
Of course!

ojibwa

Reaction score
like MH said Jan, is good less hunters and the bucks are done with the rut and bachelor back up...

Latest posts