Muzzle loader not fireing

BDB

Reaction score
So I have a CVA Optima ML. The gun always shoots great and I love it. Took it to the range today to validate zero for an upcoming hunt. First three were tight and about 1" high at 50 yards so I was feeling good. Decided to try some different bullets and sabots to see how they shot. The ML was standing upright leaning on the corner of the shooting bench waiting for the next powder load. I turned around to grab something and hooked the sling with my foot and down it went onto the concrete floor. Dammit! Oh well I said, I'll check and see if it impacted zero.

Now it will not fire. There is the slightest indent on the primer but it won't pop the primer. I pulled it all apart, it appears fine internally, nothing looks broken but still no ignition on the primer.

Any thoughts on what it could be?? It's a pretty simple mechanism and looks fine. I'll give it a better inspection with more light tonight but I had to get to work and only spent a few minutes on it.

Lavman

Reaction score
1)Did you try a different primer (or two)?
2)Maybe the hammer got bumped and tweaked off center a bit?

BDB

Reaction score
I tried about 10 primers. Very faint mark on it from the pin. When I get home from work I'll completely dissemble and check everything and see if anything looks bent or broken.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
I had an MDM that did this right out of the box. would leave a small dent in the primer but obviously the firing pin wasn't striking it enough to ignite. I sent it back and they adjusted the firing pin. Wonder if it got thrown out of alignment on the drop.

Big D

Reaction score
Something happened that increased the head space. Not sure how though. Is the hammer not fully dropping?

BDB

Reaction score
I got it home, took it out of the case, put in a primer and bang. Did 5 more all went bang. Then completely disassembled it including the firing pin and spring which was dirty as hell, I think it was the first time I ever took it apart to clean the pin (shame on me). I put it back together and grabbed one of the primers that wouln't fire. It went bang. Grabbed the next one and click. I cocked it and pulled the trigger 3 times and it went bang on the third time.

Grabbed the next primer that previously failed. It failed 5 more times so I tossed it. Grabbed the next one and it went bang on the first pull. Grabbed 3 more new primers and all went bang.

Now I am just confused and it doens't make much sense to me. I'll contact CVA support and it may end up going back to them. Interestingly enough I did have a failure of a primer before I knocked it over but I just tossed it and assumed bad primer and the next 3 shots were fine so I didn't think much of it.

Lavman

Reaction score
Oh fun, nothing worse than having a rifle you have to "hope" works when its go time.....good luck!

JDK

Reaction score
Wonder if you had a couple of bad primers?

benny8

Reaction score
My brother had a couple bucks walk out 20 yards from him. He pulled up on the biggest one and the gun did nothing. Turned out to be a bad primer. Not very good luck. Hope you get this sorted out.

BDB

Reaction score
No, the spring and firing pin are fine, not broken. Could be bad primers I suppose. I bought 1000 primers with a buddy and we split them a while back. Fired this ML a couple of hundred times using the same primers and the first failures were this week. So possibly primers but seems rather unlikely.

JDK

Reaction score
Have you found the issue?

Reason I am asking is one of my buddies bought Remington 209 primers this Fall and 4 out of 10 don't fire even though there is an indent on the primer. Never had an issue with other primers.

Escout711

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue with my Optima. Went to discharge it last night, and it wouldn’t fire. Primers dented but wouldn’t pop. Tried 4 primers, no luck. I will be interested to hear what you find out.