MURS

JDK

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive handheld MURS radio? I'm looking at the BTECH MURS-V1.

Thanks

groundtender

Reaction score
I can’t be much help I’m afraid. The only ones I’ve used are Motorolas that one of my hunting friends owns. More expensive I think than the BTECH you mention. I’d be interested in seeing how the BTechs stack up.

JDK

Reaction score
Thank you.

I’m trying not to buy anything Chinese but can’t justify the cost of a higher end radio for the amount I’d use it. An incident this past weekend sort of reinforced the need to be able to hear what is coming.....maybe.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
A friend of mine brought some inexpensive Baofeng UV-5R radios to camp this year. They weren’t terrible from the limited time I used one. Our VT camp crew run the MagOne Motorolas. We hunt some rugged terrain and if you aren’t on the same side of the mountain they don’t come in very well, but thats the same for most all radios from what I understand.

medrhunter

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, MURS radios use 5 VHF frequencies, just at a lower power.
MURS radios are 2 watt, VHF radios are typically 5 watt.
If the radio prices are about the same, I'd go with VHF vs MURS and just deal with the licensing.

medrhunter

Reaction score
A friend of mine brought some inexpensive Baofeng UV-5R radios to camp this year. They weren’t terrible from the limited time I used one. Our VT camp crew run the MagOne Motorolas. We hunt some rugged terrain and if you aren’t on the same side of the mountain they don’t come in very well, but thats the same for most all radios from what I understand.
One of guys in our group uses a Baofeng. The programmable one. Not sure of the model
He had two. One worked ok, the other was crap. It kept loosing the programming.
But for 2 weeks a year, can't complain. Both radios cost less than a 1 year In-Reach subscription.

JDK

Reaction score
I'm not overly interested in talking to people. I'm more concerned about knowing who may be coming over the hill or around the corner at 60mph. The contractors and truckers use MURS.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Interesting, I was under the impression loggers were using CB, at least in the area's in Maine we hunt.
Has that changed?
We were talking last year to outbound logging trucks on CB for that exact reason

groundtender

Reaction score
I'm not overly interested in talking to people. I'm more concerned about knowing who may be coming over the hill or around the corner at 60mph. The contractors and truckers use MURS.
Ya, that’s what I figured. Those Btechs won’t break the bank. Try ‘em. Maybe there are some reviews on them someplace.

JDK

Reaction score
Interesting, I was under the impression loggers were using CB, at least in the area's in Maine we hunt.
Has that changed?
We were talking last year to outbound logging trucks on CB for that exact reason
Not sure if it has changed. I know the truckers and contractors use MURS more often than CB from the Pinkham Road and points north.

Flatlander

Reaction score
You need a license for vhf ? They did away with the requirement for boats long ago , like over 30 years. I have an Icom handheld as a backup radio on my boat. It's a good radio ,battery life is excellent. VHF is line of sight so range will be limited .

JDK

Reaction score
No license is required fir MURS

JDK

Reaction score
Sorry Flatlander, my phone stinks.

What I was trying to say was MURS does not require a license, I believe land based VHF does.

Flatlander

Reaction score
What are the chances of running into the FCC in the north woods? A requirement for chartering was that you had to have a base station on land. I had a vhf in my bedroom , second floor of the house with an 8 ft. antena. Now a cell phone covers the requirement. Not sure but I don't remember having a license for the base. I do recall some restrictions for land use.

groundtender

Reaction score
FLatlander- FCC may not be in the woods, but the logging industry, small trucks and huge, are and they use MURS, not VHF to the best of my knowledge. Having a MURS radio is a safety thing in areas where MURS is used. Unless you want to be a grease spot.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Do they tell you when they are coming around corners of over hills? Do they constantly update their locations on the radio? I always drive like their might be one coming around the corner or over the hill and am ready to pull to the right.

groundtender

Reaction score
Yes LB, the truckers will, if nothing else, state their mile marker and “up” or “down” based on their travel up or down the mile markers. Aproaching a narrow bridge will get an announcement too.

Latest posts