MT Mule Deer Hunt 2022

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Pictures look amazing!! I haven’t had 15-20 minutes to sit down and read your report with a cup of coffee. One of these trips are on my bucket list. Maybe after I hit powerball tonight.

shawn_in_MA

Staff member
Reaction score
Pictures look amazing!! I haven’t had 15-20 minutes to sit down and read your report with a cup of coffee. One of these trips are on my bucket list. Maybe after I hit powerball tonight.
This was the most expensive trip out there so far. Plane tix and rental truck were very expensive and the house we rented was more expensive than where we usually stay but they were already booked. it was $1300 each person for gas/rental truck/rental house/food/gear. Flights were ~$700 and license/points were ~$800.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
That doesn’t seem too bad at all, but I meant if I hit powerball I’d have a ton of free time to see all the bucket list places I want to go.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
This was the most expensive trip out there so far. Plane tix and rental truck were very expensive and the house we rented was more expensive than where we usually stay but they were already booked. it was $1300 each person for gas/rental truck/rental house/food/gear. Flights were ~$700 and license/points were ~$800.
Yeah, that's an expensive flight. I booked last April when I struck out on my NM elk tag, and got my flight to Bozeman for $350. Stuff is crazy expensive, and FJB..

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Finally got to read this. That’s a hell of an adventure whether a tag is punched or not!!! Great write up!!

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your story with us! I write up my trips also; great to go back years later and relive them.

So, had you connected, what were your plans for getting the muley(s) back? Looking at a western elk hunt soon and don't want to drive.

shawn_in_MA

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your story with us! I write up my trips also; great to go back years later and relive them.

So, had you connected, what were your plans for getting the muley(s) back? Looking at a western elk hunt soon and don't want to drive.
There is a report somewhere on here from our first trip out there in 2018. On that trip we shot 3 bucks and had to get 200-240lbs of meat back with us. It was challenging to say the least. If i remember correctly back then it was 50lb limit on bags. 1st checked bag $25, 2nd checked bag $50, 3rd checked bag $150
On the way out I checked our double rifle case, Wendy checked 1 bag that had all of our gear, Shawn checked his rifle case and 1 bag of his gear. On the way home I checked our rifle case and 1 50lb box of frozen meat, Wendy checked our gear bag and 1 50lb box of frozen meat, Shawn checked his gear bag and rifle case. Shawn put about 20lbs of frozen meat in his carry on duffel, Wendy but about 40-50lbs of frozen meat in her wheeled roller carry on and I compressed my backpack down as much as I could but still had 70-80lbs of frozen meat in it as my carry on. It was a PITA but we had no exorbitant baggage fees. All 3 deer went to a taxidermist out there and got shipped home later on.

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
There is a report somewhere on here from our first trip out there in 2018. On that trip we shot 3 bucks and had to get 200-240lbs of meat back with us. It was challenging to say the least. If i remember correctly back then it was 50lb limit on bags. 1st checked bag $25, 2nd checked bag $50, 3rd checked bag $150
On the way out I checked our double rifle case, Wendy checked 1 bag that had all of our gear, Shawn checked his rifle case and 1 bag of his gear. On the way home I checked our rifle case and 1 50lb box of frozen meat, Wendy checked our gear bag and 1 50lb box of frozen meat, Shawn checked his gear bag and rifle case. Shawn put about 20lbs of frozen meat in his carry on duffel, Wendy but about 40-50lbs of frozen meat in her wheeled roller carry on and I compressed my backpack down as much as I could but still had 70-80lbs of frozen meat in it as my carry on. It was a PITA but we had no exorbitant baggage fees. All 3 deer went to a taxidermist out there and got shipped home later on.
Well damn! I was so hoping to read "I figured out a really cheap, simple way to do this. I'll share it with you!", not a confirmation that its a pain. :)

Asked a traveling hunter the same question back in 2019. He too mentioned the "checked baggage" method, but I suspect the fee structure has changed even in the last four years. He would buy cheap wal-mart coolers at his hunting location, fill them up, and check them. $150 for the third bag?!? OUCH!

Mainewoods

Reaction score

I got a bull elk in 2019 in CO, and we flew back with the meat. I flew Southwest, so two free checked bags. On my way out there, I checked one bag and one rifle case with two rifles. My buddy checked just one bag, and my brother checked one bag and one rifle case. On the way back, I checked one bags, one rifle case with two rifles, and one box of meat, all under 50 lbs. My brother did the same, and my buddy just checked one bag and two boxes of meat. For the antlers on a raghorn bull, I cut the antlers off of the skull and then split them down the middle. These I strapped them to my checked bag wrapped up in plastic. When I got home I epoxied them back together and can't even tell.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Well damn! I was so hoping to read "I figured out a really cheap, simple way to do this. I'll share it with you!", not a confirmation that its a pain. :)

Asked a traveling hunter the same question back in 2019. He too mentioned the "checked baggage" method, but I suspect the fee structure has changed even in the last four years. He would buy cheap wal-mart coolers at his hunting location, fill them up, and check them. $150 for the third bag?!? OUCH!
You can always drive out, and then not worry about flights, bags, rentals, etc. I did that in 2021 and hated the drive, but now I'm over it and may do that next year. Southwest is only $75 for third bag and first two are free and you can buy insulated boxes at most places. You are spending almost a grand on tags, so extra $$ to check extra bags with meat is just the way it goes. If you have a meat processor ship it for you, it'll run $2,000 - $3,000 for an elk.

Latest posts