Moose hunt cost analysis

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
I've always been one of those who thought he'd like to put in for my Maine moose tag. I've been a deer hunter all my life, and in the past couple of years, have tacked on turkey hunting. As anyone knows, whenever you're getting in to a new species, the costs associated with that can climb pretty precipitously. Take turkey hunting. Before I got in to that, I had to take an evening Adult-Ed course in creative whining before my wife caved so that I could buy that new Benelli. :cool:

So, over the years I've gone back and forth over a Moose tag. The application isn't that expensive, but depending on your luck, you could start applying at 25 and be 55 before you're drawn. It's here that I began to let my imagination run wild with the idea, what I would call cost association. Just think of all the variables, and costs associated with a hunt. It can be a boat load. I would love to see someone do an honest assessment of this undertaking once you've found out which township you're picked for.
The immediate costs would include the costs of scouting; time, gas, tires, oil, lodging (motel or tent). After that, depending on terrain, you are going to have a myriad of gear. Many guys bring 4-wheelers, winches, blocks and tackles, line, trailers.......
Are you going to hire a guide or not? If you're successful, do you have the buddies and gear to get it out? Are you staying in a motel or are you in a tent/camper? Are you going to trailer it home or have it cut up, up there? What's the butcher's bill if you do it there?

I thought it would be interesting to hear an experienced guide, or those who have had successful hunts share their experience and planning/cost analysis. I'm not sure I've ever read of anyone putting that out there for general consumption. I'd be interested, I'm sure there'd be others maybe

RememberBaker

Reaction score
It’s like anything else, you can do it on the cheap or you can spend like crazy. When my 2 daughters got drawn in 2010 it was pretty expensive.
I rented 2 camps so that the rest of my family could be there. I think $800 each for the week.
I had to buy 2 7mm-08’s because they didn’t have moose rifles, and scopes.
I spent $2-$300 per moose to have a horse skid them out.
processing for 2 moose was probably $6-$800. I don’t remember exactly.
hundreds on scouting trips
A few hundred on a gps.
$2400 on taxidermy.
Cost of the actual permits.
A few hundred more on another freezer.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Have been on 3 moose hunts in Maine. The more work you do yourself the cheaper it will be. Would not cost much at all if you scouted and guided yourself and were prepared to get the bull out yourself/with friends. If I had a friend or so with me, I would be prepared with block and tackle/ropes to pull him out, if I were in reach of a road, or backpacks to pack him out if in further. Others only want to shoot a bull next to the road for ease of loading. Depends on how you want to hunt, and what you are capable of. Then you can spend $2000 to get a shoulder mount or spend nothing and make a nice plaque mount yourself. MIght be about 600 to rent a cabin for the week.

I went on guided hunts, coming from NJ by myself with my young kids. You can look up the price of guided hunts probably range from 3-8 thousand dollars.

I think this is where I get to show off my moose photos again!!😁

post-542-0-95534400-1497655024.jpgpost-542-0-34325900-1497655043.jpgpost-542-0-29455900-1508120507.jpg

Last edited:

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
It’s like anything else, you can do it on the cheap or you can spend like crazy. When my 2 daughters got drawn in 2010 it was pretty expensive.
I rented 2 camps so that the rest of my family could be there.
I had to buy 2 7mm-08’s because they didn’t have moose rifles, and scopes.
I spent $2-$300 per moose to have a horse skid them out.
processing for 2 moose was probably $6-$800. I don’t remember exactly.
hundreds on scouting trips
A few hundred on a gps.
$2400 on taxidermy.
Cost of the actual permits.
A few hundred more on another freezer.
This is the type of intel I'm talking about. I hope to see a lot more in-depth posts. Thanks.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
I did a rough breakdown for my 2019 DIY moose hunt/scout
17 years applying plus the NR tag was ~$1500
lodging/gas/food for 5 weekend scouting trips plus the time we were on the hunt and miscellaneous supplies ~$1900
My grand total was ~$3400.
I did purchase new tires...but I needed them anyways so that doesn't factor in.
We have done quite a few moose hunts so we already had rope, bull wheels/block and tackles, we processed the moose ourselves, one of my friends loaned us his trailer, another guy brought his 4-wheeler which we used to get the moose out, I am mounting the antlers myself etc.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
Have been on 3 moose hunts in Maine. The more work you do yourself the cheaper it will be. Would not cost much at all if you scouted and guided yourself and were prepared to get the bull out yourself/with friends. If I had a friend or so with me, I would be prepared with block and tackle/ropes to pull him out, if I were in reach of a road, or backpacks to pack him out if in further. Others only want to shoot a bull next to the road for ease of loading. Depends on how you want to hunt, and what you are capable of. Then you can spend $2000 to get a shoulder mount or spend nothing and make a nice plaque mount yourself. MIght be about 600 to rent a cabin for the week.

I went on guided hunts, coming from NJ by myself with my young kids. You can look up the price of guided hunts probably range from 3-8 thousand dollars.

I think this is where I get to show off my moose photos again!!😁

View attachment 23248View attachment 23249View attachment 23250
Thanks......photos are definitely worthy of a re-post
I did a rough breakdown for my 2019 DIY moose hunt/scout
17 years applying plus the NR tag was ~$1500
lodging/gas/food for 5 weekend scouting trips plus the time we were on the hunt and miscellaneous supplies ~$1900
My grand total was ~$3400.
I did purchase new tires...but I needed them anyways so that doesn't factor in.
We have done quite a few moose hunts so we already had rope, bull wheels/block and tackles, we processed the moose ourselves, one of my friends loaned us his trailer, another guy brought his 4-wheeler which we used to get the moose out, I am mounting the antlers myself etc.
GREAT stuff. See what I mean? Someone please tell me why New England hunting publications seem reticent about posting this type of information. Not so much definitive as much "ball park." There is SO much to plan and consider! It isn't like we don't have hunting investigative reporters or something? Am I being unrealistic?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Butchering--------------------- $600
Shoulder mount ---------------$1800
Cabin--------------------------- $600
Bullets --------------------------$100
Rifle /scope--------------------- $1000
Truck--------------------------- $68,000
Cabin----------------------------$1,000
Block and Tackle-----------------$500
Gas-------------------------------$500
Binoculars------------------------$500
Knife------------------------------$100
Food-------------------------------$500
4 wheeler---------------------------$10,000
Guide-------------------------------$5,000
Moose hunting clothes/boots---- $500
Misc. Supplies-----------------------$1000

Approximately........

Last edited:

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
We did a moose hunt in our own WMD last year...so we were able to leave from home everyday.....huge savings. So gas and butchering was the most expensive part. Probably $2-300 in gas...$350 for butchering plus whatever the permit & application was...around $70 I think. I'm guessing in the $700 range. It can be done on the cheap or you can go all out.

JDK

Reaction score
Been drawn twice.

Zone 6 hunt where I live.

$800-$900 in gas for scouting over 3 months. I retrospect, I would have scouted fra less.
$150 in fuel for the hunt.
$350 for butchering bull

Zone 1 hunt (stayed in my camper)

JDK

Reaction score
I’ve been drawn twice, once in the zone I live and once northwest of me. Twelve years apart. My expenses were about the same as Junebug’s. Spent more on fuel in the zone near me and more on camping in the other.

I didn’t buy a new truck, tires, rifle, or any new equipment for either hunt. Butchering in both cases was right around $300

Other hunts I have been on were out of friends camps and I bet they spent $500-$600 on food alone. they weren’t big on scouting so I doubt they spent anything on fuel and I know they didn’t buy a single piece of equipment. One hunt lasted an hour the other a day. They butchered their own with the time off they had remaining.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
My 2007 bull I stayed in a camp I deer hunt out of. We planned our meals and booze together. Bought zero gear, borrowed a trailer, didnt really scout. Cost was the gas, license and one bullet. Butchered it ourselves. Got it done morning of day 2.

Last years hunt we dropped a grand for lodging. Butchering was about 400. License, food and booze.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
These are all great replies. Redundantly, I have to wonder why such an article hasn't been published in a hunting magazine. Perhaps they're afraid people will back away?

RememberBaker

Reaction score
These are all great replies. Redundantly, I have to wonder why such an article hasn't been published in a hunting magazine. Perhaps they're afraid people will back away?
Do some research, write one and submit it. Seems like if it hasn’t been done before you’d have a pretty good shot.
Most people can make the hunt happen for whatever their budget will allow, I don’t think many people are backing away.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this so bear with me I have homes in Saskatchewan Canada for rent for hunters anyone interested ??
I am interested. I’d love to come up there and hunt deer. If I rented a house where would I hunt and what about a guide? I think a guide is required up there, maybe not if I’m on private property?

groundtender

Reaction score
You might consider forgetting the block and tackle and fancy sleds. Leave long rope or cable at home. Take 6 good meat bags, a few good knives, knife sharpener, some 6’ lengths of pot warp size rope, chain saw with gas, and one of those black roll up pieces of plastic that cabelas sells to drag a deer on. With any luck you won’t need that. Skin and quarter the moose wherever it falls. Put loins and back straps in one bag, stew/burger in another, and 4 quarters in a bag each. The biggest quarter will skid easily on the plastic. A back pack frame would be an option too, depending on how far adrift from your vehicle you plan to go. Once things start rolling in the skinning and quartering, one guy can move bags to the vehicle while the other guy does the cutting. I always preferred to be the “mover” personally. Less thinking involved.