Misfire Issues

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
As some of you may recall, I had some misfire issues with my TC Triumph last season. I had 5 trigger pulls on deer that did not fire. I've owned the gun for almost 10 years, and I've never had an issue until last season.

Initially, I thought it was a dirty breech plug. Yesterday, I brought it to the range to sight it in with my new Barnes bullets. On my 7th shot, it failed to fire. It did end up firing the second time I tried the primer.

We had another Triumph there. The dimples in his primers were deeper than mine. I disassembled the firing pin, and it was clean.

Could it be that my hammer spring is sacked out?

JJM6

Reaction score
I know the only hang and misfires I've had in My Encore were with 777 pellets with 777ML primers. Those primers are junk.

benny8

Reaction score
Is there a way to pull the recoil plate and firing pin? I know that sometimes my CVA firing pin and spring gets gunked up from a bit of blow back. Usually cleaning the recoil plate and putting the firing pin in a drill chuck and spinning it with a scotch brite pad held on it, will get the excess fowling off it.

benny8

Reaction score
Oh jeez, I'm sorry for the prior post. I must have skimmed right over where you said you already disassembled the firing pin. DUH!

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I have a new hammer spring on the way. If that doesn't work, it'll be time to move on.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Could it be the powder? I’ve written here about my bad experience with blackthorn 209. I know other swear by it but the stuff I had just didn’t fire. After reviewing with other I think I had a bad batch. Still not going to use it again but might be worth switching to a new can of powder. Do you have a buddy who has some that seems to fire consistently?

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I don't think it's the powder. The primers are not firing. I've tried two different brands and both failed to fire.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Update:

I had the hammer spring replaced. I snapped off 105 consecutive primers without a failure, 5 of which were done actually shooting the gun.

I'm going to use it this season. Hopefully it doesn't come back to haunt me.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Reading about this makes me think I should consider replacing mine ahead of time - where did you order from and was it easy for you to do yourself?

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Reading about this makes me think I should consider replacing mine ahead of time - where did you order from and was it easy for you to do yourself?
Thompson Center sent me one free of charge. It took about a month to get it.

I brought mine to a gunsmith.

Latest posts