Mineral licks

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
Placing anything to be used as an attractant that is not natural whether placed near a camera or stand in the off season is absolutely not legal. Whether you are just a bird watcher or looking to help game in the state of NH is not permitted. What you decide to do is your own business until Fish & Game places a camera or catches you in the act Is another story.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Why not avoid it a and place your cameras on used trails? How about just hunting and stop playing arm chair biologist? I really fail to see the need to do all the baiting and altering of movement. What's the pointing placing a substance you can't hunt over, yet altering the natural movement? Isn't it extremely counter productive?

oneshott

Banned
Reaction score
Why not avoid it a and place your cameras on used trails? How about just hunting and stop playing arm chair biologist? I really fail to see the need to do all the baiting and altering of movement. What's the pointing placing a substance you can't hunt over, yet altering the natural movement? Isn't it extremely counter productive?
yes

frontierrots

Reaction score
a mineral lick from snow out til August will do nothing to alter movement patterns for hunting season. Deer typically don't use them once velvet dries and fawns wean anyhow. The POINT is NOT to alter patterns or congregate deer it is to provide what our crappy NH soil does not provide to animals nursing and growing antlers along their already used spring summer travel paths to give them the best chance at optimal health.

The camera is unimportant. The optimal health is the goal
This is my only comment here

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
How about taking all that money that this multi million dollar industry has drawn the hunting group into buying these mineral supplements, the rocks, corn,sweet feed and so on and start planting fruit trees and oaks? Start a small food plot? Start scouting natural food sources and near swamps,rivers streams and bodies of water. How about a flashback of what happened the winter before last or maybe it was this past winter where someone thought that they would help the deer by dumping bags of corn. I was with a personal friend of mine who is a NH CO and he received a call about a dozen dead deer all within 100' of one another. Not everyone understands the importance of letting the wild follow their natural instinct of surviving without the aid of human. I think everyone has elaborated on what the law states in one form or another. It's good to see how others here follow the code of hunting ethics and respect of nature. Case closed, let's move forward and let this post come to a close.

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
a mineral lick from snow out til August will do nothing to alter movement patterns for hunting season. Deer typically don't use them once velvet dries and fawns wean anyhow. The POINT is NOT to alter patterns or congregate deer it is to provide what our crappy NH soil does not provide to animals nursing and growing antlers along their already used spring summer travel paths to give them the best chance at optimal health.

The camera is unimportant. The optimal health is the goal
This is my only comment here
I can't count on one hand how many times I've been walking through the woods and stumbled upon corn,apples dumped in piles or spread out during hunting season and I look up and see a stand 10-15 yards away. Quick question for you you others who have experienced this. What do you do when you come across such tasteless hunting ethics? I confronted one guy Who I actually know and asked him what was he thinking? His response was ' I'm taking my daughter here to help get her first turkey'. What does that teach the next generation?

vtbbhunter

Reaction score
I agree with Diane, about the mineral.... deer use them until first of august then don't touch it. as for baiting corn and apple piles I don't condone the use but I guess who iam I to judge I just got done planting some imperial whitetail sugar beets and tall tine tubers.

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
I've pondered the idea of planting sugar beets and read up on them. It's interesting as after the first frost they turn into pretty much a nice tasty sugar treat. I haven't heard anything about tall time tubers. I do not see anything wrong with planting crops for the herd. Have you grown brusccatis/sugar beets I the past? I'm going to think that you must have to till the ground to have a successful crop? If you don't mind me asking and you have the time I'd appreciate to hear the process and how you go about your technique and do I still have time? Much appreciated if you could throw me a bone on this.

frontierrots

Reaction score
we have clover, turnips, sugar beets, radish, winter pea etc plots. The deer eat the top off the brassica plants but don't usually touch the bulbs/tubers til winter (ie after hunting season) in fact the majority of ours are dug up at the end of winter/early spring

as to piles of food bait? not my thing and I'd cut off my arm rather than ever feed a deer straight corn even through the winter

Did see a photo online a few weeks back of a BLATANT bait pile (straight corn) probably 10" high guarded with a camera. I told the guy that was HIGHLY illegal and he said it was for squirrels and he even had signs up squirrel food only so he was good. I wished him luck with that defense

NH Hunter

Reaction score
So again I'll ask..... Deer have limbed here for centuries. They don't require any "help". The only job we are qualified to Sonia hint the deer in the dates allowed. Stop thinking you're smarter then you really are. Enough with the bait and plots. So your job and control the herd by hunting them.

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
NH hunter, not sure what your asking or who you are responding to? Your absolutely correct about the deer being able to find food without human aid. When one suggested to use attractants that are prohibited I suggested spending their money on something that would be more beneficial over time. I have no issue finding where the deer are by putting initiative. The more you can educate others in a area that they aren't sure of is to offer education which help others to be better hunters rather than seeing one get arrested and posted in the paper helping the anti hunter group think all hunters are bad

frontierrots

Reaction score
because we believe all animals deserve the right to have optimal nutrition when possible. Not "I can survive on that" nutrition but truly ideal/optimal nutrition. If I can provide that for a handful of deer they are healthier for it- better immune systems, better fertility, better winter survival, better reproduction rates, better fawn survival (barring predators and county field mowing accidents), better weaning weights, better doe recovery and better antlers.

Ironically we do all that labor- tilling, planting, weed wacking etc..... and rarely shoot a deer off our foodplots and managed woods. 2 in 5 years LOL Not because we can't just because we choose not to (Husband has deer he would shoot if he ran across them but lets all the others walk). It's non posted current use surrounded by a couple thousand acres of public land so not that we try to keep them for ourselves either. It is 100% legal and our choice.

vtbbhunter

Reaction score
plenty of time, we till lime, and drag to pack then plant. for any brassica you have until mid august. nice to get it in early but anytime from now til august. good places for cams and bowhunt, where our land sits its woods for 8 miles in most directions before a crop of any kind. I can see shawns point... biggest best will survive and that's natures way and who are we to help out and ect... our plots are a family affair and have been doing it for years. not trying to skew deer movement its just something we like to do to use our fields for that would otherwise just grow up and have to brush hog

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
I absolutely 100% have no problem with anyone that creates food plots for the deer. It is legal and beneficial to the deer herd. You better believe that any hunter that has permission to hunt over corn fields or game trail leading to them will take the opportunity. One section of land we own has farming bordering the property. They don't raise corn or anything else other than fields that the deer graze in. I have many blow down's which has become a great deer sanctuary. I believe that with all the new developments being put up it's taking away from the herds natural resources. I don't have any food plots but plenty of oaks and bodies of water. Just my IMO!

longbow

Reaction score
My 5000 acres is posted. I have hundreds is acres of food plots to keep tons of deer on my property. I want to alter deer movement and do, into my land! My family and friends shoot tons of deer. I worked hard for my land. God bless the USA!;)

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
That's one nice chunk of land and sounds like you've worked hard to get that much dedicated to food plots. Do you have restrictions for hunting it such as QDM? I've had issues in the past with a 400+ acres piece with guys being dropped off and sneaking in. We solved that problem for the most part but I can't spend every minute watching it. That's when you invite someone to hunt it that upholds the law and they want their spot to be effective as much as I do

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
My 5000 acres is posted. I have hundreds is acres of food plots to keep tons of deer on my property. I want to alter deer movement and do, into my land! My family and friends shoot tons of deer. I worked hard for my land. God bless the USA!;)
Do you have room for family and friends? Lol! I hope you're friends help you with the plots and any help maintaining your land. God bless America! Amen to that brother

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Then I would love to read it . But like I said , it depends on how you phrased the question and the circumstances on how it is done and where it is done that can very well make it illegal to do . Since the title to this thread is " Mineral Licks " I will mention the Official I talked with's view on them. Especially pouring a 50 lb bag of the stuff in one spot. They would be considered illegal with a camera in front of it or not , because of their long standing affect to attract deer well after they are dissolved. You cant remove it unless you dig every bit of dirt out that the mineral soaked into. Thats impossible to do. If you hunt anywhere near that spot it would be considered illegal pre-baiting. Thats the material that they worry about the most. The deer keep coming to it long after its visible .
PM sent