Mineral licks

otter

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the livestock blocks from Tractor Supply. Another ?, has anyone made their own mineral licks is how?

sdlonyer4791

Reaction score
I make my own that works AMAZING!!!!!
1 part di-calcium phosphate
2 parts trace mineral salt
1 part stock salt
clear all vegetation, loosen soil 6" deep, mix all ingredients with the soil and set up the trail cam. they'll find it within days and once found they'll be back regularly. sometimes 3 times in 24 hours

makes 200lbs for less than $50.00. I refresh the site in early spring as soon as the ground is thawed and again 6 months later. deer,moose & turkeys LOVE IT!!!

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
I've tried those wild berry blocks in the past and got plenty of camera shots. Problem is once those raccoons find them which is almost instantly they will come back with their entire family. Lol! Tons of photos of four coons having a feast night after night till it's gone.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I've tried those wild berry blocks in the past and got plenty of camera shots. Problem is once those raccoons find them which is almost instantly they will come back with their entire family. Lol! Tons of photos of four coons having a feast night after night till it's gone.
In N.H?

longbow

Reaction score
That's true. Bears like them also.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I make my own that works AMAZING!!!!!
1 part di-calcium phosphate
2 parts trace mineral salt
1 part stock salt
clear all vegetation, loosen soil 6" deep, mix all ingredients with the soil and set up the trail cam. they'll find it within days and once found they'll be back regularly. sometimes 3 times in 24 hours

makes 200lbs for less than $50.00. I refresh the site in early spring as soon as the ground is thawed and again 6 months later. deer,moose & turkeys LOVE IT!!!
In Vermont?

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
No I didn't try them in NH. I like to hunt and won't take the chance of losing my license. I place my camera's over mother nature and where the deer will be naturally. I almost put a trophy rock out and found that even though they are 100% natural they are considered ingestible making them illegal.

sdlonyer4791

Reaction score
Its illegal to hunt over salt licks or salt based products in general in Vermont. That doesn't mean that you can't use these products to increase the health of the herd and set up a camera on it. you just can't hunt over it or in the general vicinity.

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
NH is closed to it believe it or not during the off season. I have heard that you can put them out during hunting season in New Hampshire as long as you contact Fish & Game. I thought it was odd because it does help the mother gather more nutrition for nursing. Spring and summer is when they will use them the most and as fall closes in they tend not to visit the site's as much from what I've heard. I wanted to place them out for photos as well but I'm not risking it and I still seem to get plenty of pictures.

Browseline

Reaction score
Its illegal to hunt over salt licks or salt based products in general in Vermont. That doesn't mean that you can't use these products to increase the health of the herd and set up a camera on it. you just can't hunt over it or in the general vicinity.
On page 41 of the 2016 Vermont fish and wildlife regulations book it states................... "It is illegal to feed or bait deer in Vermont." On page 25............... " Bait is defined as any animal, vegetable, fruit or mineral matter placed with the intention of attracting wildlife." I think this means you can't place bait to attract deer to your camera, but I could be wrong.

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
Browse line you nailed it right on the head. I built up what in my own opinion a small arsenal of trail camera's this year. I was down to three and one of those retired from water damage. With Father's Day coming up at the time and the new 2016 camera's being out I was able to get some good pricing between the 2015 models price reduction and,sales and Dick's rewards I bought six new camera's.
I had done some early scouting in April and with the spring gobblers about to start off I started picking spots to start mineral sites.
One weekend I was unloading my four wheeler when two C/O stopped over. I took the opportunity to ask and fully understand the laws about this. Anything placed by man that is ingestible is not legal. Okay I got it buff said. Not even a trophy rock which is mined and 100% natural can be used.
Even though the deer can benefit from such things dddit won't change the court date or outcome. Mother nature has the best attractants for trail camera's. ( Sorry for hijacking this thread but I hope someone may benefit from my rambling)��

NH Mountains

Reaction score
On page 41 of the 2016 Vermont fish and wildlife regulations book it states................... "It is illegal to feed or bait deer in Vermont." On page 25............... " Bait is defined as any animal, vegetable, fruit or mineral matter placed with the intention of attracting wildlife." I think this means you can't place bait to attract deer to your camera, but I could be wrong.

He would get pinched if a warden visited his Vermont mineral site. They are not allowed in Vt.

Only allowed during the baiting season in NH. In NH the baiter has to fill out and process the required forms and post the site as a legal bait site.

In NH, if you feed deer in the winter you better not put a camera on it either. I was told by COs that would be considered hunting as well so you could get ticketed for that. They'll ticket you in NH for putting out feed (bait) in front of a camera in the off season as well.

The deer are visiting apple trees daily now for drops. They'll do that pretty regularly until they're all gone. Putting cams on them works for me.

oneshott

Banned
Reaction score
He would get pinched if a warden visited his Vermont mineral site. They are not allowed in Vt.

Only allowed during the baiting season in NH. In NH the baiter has to fill out and process the required forms and post the site as a legal bait site.

In NH, if you feed deer in the winter you better not put a camera on it either. I was told by COs that would be considered hunting as well so you could get ticketed for that. They'll ticket you in NH for putting out feed (bait) in front of a camera in the off season as well.

The deer are visiting apple trees daily now for drops. They'll do that pretty regularly until they're all gone. Putting cams on them works for me.
I think this is regulation also:

No bait may be placed from April 15 through August 31 (dates inclusive).
Bait may not be placed at any site until the baiting season for that species is open.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score

NH Mountains in all to respect , thats false. The CO who told you that was promoting his own version of the law which is false. I walked right into the fish And Game Dept last fall and had a long talk with 2 Fish And Game Officials on that exact question. I asked them point blank " Can I put corn in front of a camera in the summer ". The answer is " Yes , there is nothing illegal about "feeding" and viewing wildlife in the summer " , but there are some heavy strings attached to it. I will make a separate thread on this subject because there have been way too many "opinions" interpreting the law here rather than what it says. I almost hate to start this thread but I want to share how Fish And Game represented the law to me in my meeting with the 2 officials at their office in Concord. This was not a phone call with a lower level person. I walked into the Fish And Game office for these answers.
There are some very explicit parts to their answers that it would make it illegal. Depends on how and where you do it and what you use to do it with.

Last edited:

NH Mountains

Reaction score
NH Mountains in all to respect , thats false. The CO who told you that was promoting his own version of the law which is false. I walked right into the fish And Game Dept last fall and had a long talk with 2 Fish And Game Officials on that exact question. I asked them point blank " Can I put corn in front of a camera in the summer ". The answer is " Yes , there is nothing illegal about "feeding" and viewing wildlife in the summer " , but there are some heavy strings attached to it. I will make a separate thread on this subject because there have been way too many "opinions" interpreting the law here rather than what it says. I almost hate to start this thread but I want to share how Fish And Game represented the law to me in my meeting with the 2 officials at their office in Concord. This was not a phone call with a lower level person. I walked into the Fish And Game office for these answers.
There are some very explicit parts to their answers that it would make it illegal. Depends on how and where you do it and what you use to do it with.
I've got an email from them that says otherwise.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I've got an email from them that says otherwise.
Then I would love to read it . But like I said , it depends on how you phrased the question and the circumstances on how it is done and where it is done that can very well make it illegal to do . Since the title to this thread is " Mineral Licks " I will mention the Official I talked with's view on them. Especially pouring a 50 lb bag of the stuff in one spot. They would be considered illegal with a camera in front of it or not , because of their long standing affect to attract deer well after they are dissolved. You cant remove it unless you dig every bit of dirt out that the mineral soaked into. Thats impossible to do. If you hunt anywhere near that spot it would be considered illegal pre-baiting. Thats the material that they worry about the most. The deer keep coming to it long after its visible .