Midwest Deer Hunt Suggestion Needed

winstonlucascloie

Reaction score

bowman1959

Reaction score
Check out Snipe Creek Outfitters. A friend of mine is looking hard at this place. He's has talked to the outfitter and seems like an awesome place. Best to save for 2 years and go on a good hunt, than try to price it down. Some places out there offer cheap hunts and are honest operations, but make sure to check all references of successful and non successful hunters. Good luck..

jht2224

Reaction score
I have been to Snipe Creek, they shoot some nice deer. my advice is to do a lot of research on them. They run a lot of hunters,(waaaay more then Carl will admit to) I am friendly with one of their main guides. I would not go back. We still hunt in their area on land that we gained permission to hunt. We have had great success over the last 4 yrs on unguided hunts. To each their own.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I have been to Snipe Creek, they shoot some nice deer. my advice is to do a lot of research on them. They run a lot of hunters,(waaaay more then Carl will admit to) I am friendly with one of their main guides. I would not go back. We still hunt in their area on land that we gained permission to hunt. We have had great success over the last 4 yrs on unguided hunts. To each their own.
Not to hijack the thread, but I hear more and more of this from guys. Seems like those "golly shucks guys" out there really like seeing us New England boys. My FIL and BIL have gone to Ohio for the last 6 years. They have the same smoke blown up their arse by the guides. My FIL was told they were going to have a certain area to hunt that they liked years prior, and nobody had been in there. They ran into the landowner showing Ralph and Vicki the land so they could lease it the following year, and the owner told them it had hunters in there every week since the season opened (3weeks). I have another buddy that leases directly from a farmer in Missouri, they were told the same story. When they got to the stands they had left from the following year, there were scent wicks and bombs scattered all over the place in front of each stand.

I was seriously thinking about going to Missouri this year because those guys had a great year last fall, but that will only mean the landowner will be filling those stands long before those guys ever get back there, and using the pictures they took to do so.

I'm not trying to piss on your parade, I'm just telling you what two different groups of guys I know have gone through. I would sooner think this is a common practice if you really look into it. I've heard via text from some guys on that they've been in similar situations. References are only of people the guide WANTS you to call. What about the hunters that might have caught him being a douche bag and lying to them? He's not going to give you those numbers. Good luck with your choice, but I'd be really careful about handing over a couple grand to a guy who's just going to point and say "hunt in that stand". The battle of leasing has created a situation of the outfitters needing to recoup a lot of money before they are ever making a profit.

bbruno

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I hear more and more of this from guys. Seems like those "golly shucks guys" out there really like seeing us New England boys. My FIL and BIL have gone to Ohio for the last 6 years. They have the same smoke blown up their arse by the guides. My FIL was told they were going to have a certain area to hunt that they liked years prior, and nobody had been in there. They ran into the landowner showing Ralph and Vicki the land so they could lease it the following year, and the owner told them it had hunters in there every week since the season opened (3weeks). I have another buddy that leases directly from a farmer in Missouri, they were told the same story. When they got to the stands they had left from the following year, there were scent wicks and bombs scattered all over the place in front of each stand.

I was seriously thinking about going to Missouri this year because those guys had a great year last fall, but that will only mean the landowner will be filling those stands long before those guys ever get back there, and using the pictures they took to do so.

I'm not trying to piss on your parade, I'm just telling you what two different groups of guys I know have gone through. I would sooner think this is a common practice if you really look into it. I've heard via text from some guys on that they've been in similar situations. References are only of people the guide WANTS you to call. What about the hunters that might have caught him being a douche bag and lying to them? He's not going to give you those numbers. Good luck with your choice, but I'd be really careful about handing over a couple grand to a guy who's just going to point and say "hunt in that stand". The battle of leasing has created a situation of the outfitters needing to recoup a lot of money before they are ever making a profit.
I call it the used car salesman approach. No one really is going to tell you when the car gets hot, second gear slips...lol. Leases can be really good. Outfitted hunts can be really good. Family friends farms can be really good. BUT nothing is really all that good. Very few times are things that good. We have found, for the most part, you get what you pay for. Now if you have some experience and have some time you can find good things in other parts of the country without paying. But it takes a bunch of work and a bunch of experience.

My buddies want me to go with them in January to Swain Farms. These guys have a running thread on Archery talk, open for anyone to comment on. Seems like a pretty legit operation. We will be going semi guided ...which means we are basically subleasing. We get dropped off on a farm and do what we want. I am much more comfortable in being in control myself rather than someone telling me where to hunt.

bowman1959

Reaction score
How true. I've been doing guided hunts for 30 years along with doing things on my own. I have been very lucky to have hunted with some great outfitters and made some great friends whom I still stay in contact with. That being said, along the way I have seen some ugly things. I have seen an outfitter go from first class to real bad in one year. A paid guided hunt is always a risk. Best bet is to go somewhere that someone you know has been. There are some great places to go and some real honest outfitters. From my experience, for every 1 outfitter I have narrowed down, I probably have tossed at least 10 aside. You can't research it enough.

Igloo

Reaction score
Any reason you're not considering Wisconsin? I've lived near the Wisconsin border most of my life, and they seem to have the most awesome bucks I've seen.

Latest posts