MGK's 2017

MGK

Reaction score
Way behind on this. I spent about 3 months in Alaska this summer making it very tough to do any scouting. It doesn't help that I'm completely new to this area and minus the expanded zone, I've never hunted here a day in my life. I hung a camera in a bog down the road just to get an idea for what I was working with and was pretty disappointed at the activity this summer. Oh well, it was time to lace up the boots and find some deer.

These were the highlights of this summer.

MGK

Reaction score
Well I had a pretty decent expanded spot that I shot a 3pt last year. After shooting about 100 arrows through my bow I was very confident with myself out to about 40yrds. I grabbed the climber and headed for the woods for my first sit of 2017. I wasn't in the stand for more then 25 minutes when I caught movement to my left. 2 does fed there way to me and when the closest one turned broadside at what I thought was 20yrds, I drew back. She caught movement and was locked right on me. I aimed low anticipating she would jump the string and I released. The arrow flew true and right under her. She never even flinched as I grazed her. I new she would be fine but did what I thought was the right thing and pursued. I caught up with her about 150yrds and watched her bound off un injured. I went back and paced off the shot, 25 yrds. Not a good start to the season.

MGK

Reaction score
9/29/17 marked the opening day of the statewide archery season. I had walked miles and miles in the area and was overly very disappointed with the amount of deer sign. It seems like the town I'm living in is more or less a dry spot as far as deer go. Neighboring towns harvest a fair amount of deer every year but this one is substantially less. I'm not sure if it's the habitat or what but I had my work cut out for me. I've also been spoiled spending the last 4 years hunting the coast with extremely high deer densities. I did however have a place that was frequented by a bunch of does. No bucks as of yet on the camera but it was my best option for the opening morning so that's where I went. It wasn't long before I heard a deer coming. Out pops a small spikehorn at about 40 yrds. On a steady pace he walked right by me giving multiple shot opportunities but he wasn't what I'm looking for. He made his way down wind and started blowing. It don't get winded very often and it sucks when it happens. I thought the morning might be over when I heard more deer coming. A doe and 2 fawns showed up and fed around me for well over an hour before wandering off. Just when I was about to leave another doe came through offering up a nice photo opportunity for me.

MGK

Reaction score
I think I've been experiencing the October lull. Weather hasn't helped one bit and with these high temps deer movement for me has been at a standstill. High light of the first week was watching a 6pt make a scrape about 70yrds from me. I did however get my fiance up north to do a little bird hunting and she's spent one of hopefully many evenings in the blind with me.

MGK

Reaction score
Things are looking up!!! I found an awesome piece of dirt that I believe gets little to no hunting pressure. It's a nightmare to get in there which I think contributes to the lack of people. The cameras started slow but boy have the bucks started showing up. All night walkers so far but my hopes are high and I think one will slip up soon. I got the biggest buck I've ever gotten on camera but fear he's a night owl. Only time will tell. The good part about my job is I have plenty of time to hunt so I plan to hound these boys (being smart about it of course) as much as possible.

MGK

Reaction score
Another week in the books with no tagged filled. Didn't get too spend as much time as I would have liked in the stand this week however other commitments came first. It was a slow week minus the last couple days for deer movement. I passed on a spike at 12 yards but other then that sits were pretty unproductive. I had a buddy fly in from Seattle on the 18th and of course I had a very nice buck under my stand that same morning. He's got a funky 5 pt rack (some would call him a 7pt) but he's a heavy deer. Kind of a heart breaker to see him in day light for the first time and I'm no where to be found. Oh well. My swamp camera has been getting all the action and it seems like the deer have moved off the ridge. The following pictures are all from the same camera (except one) I got pretty nervous because my spots were drying up so this morning I put some miles on the boots and was ear to ear smiles when I got back to the truck. Rubs, Scrapes, deer sightings, etc. They have moved about .75 miles and are in there thick. I'm hoping to start getting bucks during the day light and get this done next week before the orange army shows up.

I could have been done if I was in my stand that morning..

Spike I passed up

Latest posts