MDIFW Warning

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
Just got this in an email last night from the State about deer in the Fairfield area. Pleasant.:confused:

Do not eat deer advisory issued for greater Fairfield area
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, in conjunction with the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Maine CDC), has detected high levels of PFAS in some deer harvested in the greater Fairfield area and is issuing a do not eat advisory for deer harvested in the area.

This area encompasses multiple farm fields that have been contaminated by high levels of PFAS through the spreading of municipal and/or industrial sludge for fertilizer that contained PFAS. Deer feeding in these contaminated areas have ingested these chemicals, and now have PFAS in their organs and meat. Click here to view a map of the do not eat advisory area.

Poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) have been used for decades in a variety of household and consumer products, including non-stick cookware, carpet, waterproof clothing, and food packaging products such as pizza boxes and microwave popcorn bags. PFAS were also used in firefighting foams. Known as “forever chemicals” since they do not break down, PFAS persist in the environment and are transferred into soil, water, plants, and animals.

Hunters who have already harvested a deer in the area are advised not to eat the deer, and to dispose of the deer in their trash or landfill. The department will offer those who harvested a deer in the advisory area an opportunity to take an additional deer in the 2022 hunting season. Hunters should call the department at 207-287-8000 or email [email protected] for more information.

If you have questions about health effects from PFAS or blood testing, please contact the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) at 866-292-3474 (toll-free in Maine) or 207-287-4311.

Click here to learn more about the advisory and MDIFW's plans to continue working with the Maine CDC, Maine Department of Environmental Protection, and the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry concerning PFAS and testing.

BobtheBear

Reaction score
🤔 Ok , here's my thing .Don't eat Fairfield venison because it has " FOREVER chemicals " in it , BUT if you shot a Fairfeild deer this year , we will give you two tags next year !. Ummmmm....... Excuse me , so the term " Forever " now constitutes 11 months ?.And to make it worse , we can shoot 2 contaminated deer next year and really get dosed properly. I am in no way attacking the veracity of this report or the issuing of the warning , but the 2 permits seem to defy logic unless you also close down Fairfield to hunting.Also , if they studied this and found the deer contaminated , then tell us the source !.

If I lived in Fairfield , I would be getting a tad nervous about things about now.The first guess after reading this warning would be that the deer were contaminated by the ground water . The same ground water that I drink !. I would be making an emergency post Thanksgiving day visit to Doc Baker and getting tested.But hey , that's just me.

JDK

Reaction score
There has been a lot of monitoring of wells and the news is not good at all. I know that the drinking water standard is 20 ppt and some wells are at 30,000.

And it isn’t just there. Presque Isle got whacked and I suspect that there will be a lot more

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
There has been a lot of monitoring of wells and the news is not good at all. I know that the drinking water standard is 20 ppt and some wells are at 30,000.

And it isn’t just there. Presque Isle got whacked and I suspect that there will be a lot more
I was wondering why there was no mention of well water? Didn't they find PFAS at the former NAS Brunswick too?

JDK

Reaction score
I don’t know for sure but anywhere there was fire fighting in the past it probably is there. The old Air Force base in PI is contaminated

Big D

Reaction score
Crazy stuff. They are saying that they will be testing turkeys in the areas also. I'm guessing you won't be eating them either. Good luck controlling populations around there. Its already overrun with both species.

Latest posts