Massachusetts native attacked by grizzly bear, while shed hunting.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I wouldn't go hiking there without a gun.
They say sometimes it’s so quick that your gun doesn’t matter but yeah, at LEAST one gun and maybe a backup…and a big ass knife…and pepper spray…a grizz is not getting me without some holes poked in him/her.
Or like that snowflake that “used to” live among them would do… SILLY BEAR! STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!

Reaction score
Reading some of the survivor's reports from grizzly attacks, it seems that in some cases, even if you weren't fast enough to get off the first shot before being attacked, you might still get a shot off later. But then, maybe this same slowness is why they survived and people like this man did not. I think of Todd Orr's case a few years back.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Custer Gallatin NF area borders Yellowstone and has a huge grizzly population. I've been doing a lot of research for my upcoming archery elk hunt in MT, and I'll probably avoid high concentration areas, just so it's not another added stresser. I will be carrying a side arm and spray no matter what.

Sad story and I'm sure this guy was familiar with this area, etc, but man, I'm carrying no matter what.

Reaction score
Custer Gallatin NF area borders Yellowstone and has a huge grizzly population. I've been doing a lot of research for my upcoming archery elk hunt in MT, and I'll probably avoid high concentration areas, just so it's not another added stresser. I will be carrying a side arm and spray no matter what.

Sad story and I'm sure this guy was familiar with this area, etc, but man, I'm carrying no matter what.
Good thinking. If you score, you'll be field dressing a large grizzly magnet. Good luck!

Xbolt

Reaction score

What unit were you looking at ?

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score

Man, we hunted south of Yellowstone in WY on one of our elk hunts - the grizzly are pretty serious. One camped on Dad's elk that we had to leave overnight. Type 2 fun there, with a high pucker factor.
At least with archery equipment, the big bang isn't a draw factor. I think it was for us.
I'm sure you know, but have that stuff handy, like on your bino pouch - don't pack it. I think they make practice versions - I'd do that or waste one so you know how to use it.

groundtender

Reaction score
MbVT - That grizzly sow and cubs we saw last month was not real far south of Yellowstone. On the divide north of Dubois. A guy out there told me that the “problem” bears they live trap are all released in that area. Might have something to do with your observations

Xbolt

Reaction score
MbVT - That grizzly sow and cubs we saw last month was not real far south of Yellowstone. On the divide north of Dubois. A guy out there told me that the “problem” bears they live trap are all released in that area. Might have something to do with your observations
Some are released and given a second chance
If they are not aggressive. Those that are do not get a second chance they get euthinized

Xbolt

Reaction score
Anyone that has points saved for wyoming might want to start useng them the task force is looking into going 90/10 for elk ,deer,antelope and on top of that out of the 10% non resident tags . The woga wants 50% of those

groundtender

Reaction score
Good advice. Unfortunately gone are the days when a point for a bighorn or a moose was 7 bucks. When they bumped them up to $100. they lost me

shadow

Reaction score
That family has been through hell. Not only have they lost a husband and father of 4 but there house burned to the ground in 2020. From what I’ve been told of the attack the Bear came from behind. Probably didn’t have a chance with either a gun or spray.
Xbolt, I didn’t draw Wy elk with 3 pp in the special. Not 10 years ago you could have picked that tag up as your 2nd choice!

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Man, we hunted south of Yellowstone in WY on one of our elk hunts - the grizzly are pretty serious. One camped on Dad's elk that we had to leave overnight. Type 2 fun there, with a high pucker factor.
At least with archery equipment, the big bang isn't a draw factor. I think it was for us.
I'm sure you know, but have that stuff handy, like on your bino pouch - don't pack it. I think they make practice versions - I'd do that or waste one so you know how to use it.
Yeah, I'll all set with the added stress of a large bear sniffing my tent while I'm trying to get some shuteye. I mean the units I'm looking at are not void of grizzlies, but not like the units around Yellowstone or Glacier. I got a decent holster for my G23 on my SG pack and will mount the spray on the bottom of my bino harness. Unfortuntely you can't fly with spray, but I'm sure it's easy to buy in MT.

Last edited:

Mainewoods

Reaction score
What unit were you looking at ?
The 3 areas that I'm looking at right now are the Anaconda Pintler Wilderness, Helena-Lewis and Clark NF, and Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF. The Pintler's look pretty amazing, but I want a few plans and definitely keeping my options open.

Last edited:

mowbizz

Reaction score
Taken from behind by a grizz…what a sobering thought…☹️

Latest posts