Mass buck 2 down

BDB

Reaction score
Saturday AM I hunted the same tree I shot the big buck out of earlier in the year. I haven't seen a deer in the last 6 hunts and my game camera showed only 1 doe on camera in the last 2 weeks so I wasn't feeling very confident in this location. A buddy is hunting about 300 yards to the North of me and planned to climb down at 9:15 and head my direction hoping to push something out of the thick stuff between us in my direction.

I had been hearing mountain bikers and hikers all morning and I can see them on the trail about 80 yards to my left as they go past. At a little after 9 I hear a noise behind me (to the south) and to the right. I assumed it was another mountain biker on the trail and started looking for him. Then I see this buck booking it through the swamp heading up my left side from behind me. As he clears the water he hangs a left and heads directly into the wind looking for does in the swamp to my left. When he gets behind a tree I stand and grab my bow and then draw. He walks about 4 yards from my tree under me on a mission. He hits 8 yards and I bleated loud. He stops and looks back (see trail camera picture). That was his last mistake, I drilled him and watched him run away with blood pouring out and I watched him crash about 60 or 70 yards out. It all happened in about 20 seconds. I took 15 mins to calm down and then climbed down to pull the camera card hoping I got him on camera and wait for my buddy to arrive.

I was very happy to have the kill shot on the game camera and my buddy and I got to work getting him dressed and out. Bad genetics but he was not a young deer. Has a cool drop tine on the right main beam with velvet still on it all dried out. Funky rack and the eye guards curve forward, nice and wide. Even though he is only a 7pt I was very happy with the funky rack and my first drop tine. He weighed 160 on the nose. Shot took out both lungs and clipped the top of the heart. Was a great morning in the woods.

2020buck2-3.jpg

2020buck2-2.jpg
2020buck2-1.jpg

2020buck2-4.jpg
2020buck2-5.jpg

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Very cool buck! Congrats! Neat getting the action photo's too!

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Congratulations on a nice buck. It just shows you how fast things can turn in the deer woods. Good job sticking it out.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Awesome! That’s how it happens! I don’t know if I could stand being in an area with so many tree huggers though...kudos to you for your diligence!

Big D

Reaction score
That's pretty wild getting him on camera. Nice job.

BDB

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was pretty happy with him. 4 guys on mountain bikes drove through about 6-8 minutes before he came trotting in. He actually crossed the trail they drove past on on his way to me. I am about 80 yards into the thick stuff from the trail but see hikers, bikers and dog walkers. With covid, it's been crazy busy with people and I am seeing a lot less deer than usual but at least 2 bucks made fatal mistakes :)

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was pretty happy with him. 4 guys on mountain bikes drove through about 6-8 minutes before he came trotting in. He actually crossed the trail they drove past on on his way to me. I am about 80 yards into the thick stuff from the trail but see hikers, bikers and dog walkers. With covid, it's been crazy busy with people and I am seeing a lot less deer than usual but at least 2 bucks made fatal mistakes :)
You can't complain. They maybe do you a favor getting deer acclimated to human scents.

NH-Archer

Reaction score
Congrats BDB!!! It's been a long time since I've read a post from you. Glad to hear about your hunt, awesome!!! Dam mountain bikers.... lol.

Latest posts