Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun Problem

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Have you or anyone shot any deer with the hornady gummies?
Yes. I've shot one buck. My father in law has shot 4 or 5 deer in Ohio with them. They seem to do a little more meat damage than other slower moving, heavier 45/70 rounds like the 405Gr Core-Lokt. My buck dropped right in his tracks.

I will continue to shoot them. They are cheap and very accurate in my gun. Many hand loaders prefer the 405gr pills.

Mikejd

Reaction score
You want to tighten that group shoot buffalo bore. They will all touch. Stuff is incredible. Pricey but it's not range gun. And a box lasts me 30 or 40 yrs.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
You want to tighten that group shoot buffalo bore. They will all touch. Stuff is incredible. Pricey but it's not range gun. And a box lasts me 30 or 40 yrs.
Thanks Mike. I think it was more of a matter of my shooting and the rest I had rather than the ammo. I have a lot of the Hornady, so I'll probably stick with it and do some more shooting late summer before the season.

I have some of the heavy 444 Buffalo Bore and it just about knocked my fillings out. lol

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes. I've shot one buck. My father in law has shot 4 or 5 deer in Ohio with them. They seem to do a little more meat damage than other slower moving, heavier 45/70 rounds like the 405Gr Core-Lokt. My buck dropped right in his tracks.

I will continue to shoot them. They are cheap and very accurate in my gun. Many hand loaders prefer the 405gr pills.
Were you happy with the penetration? No problems going thru a 300 lb bucks shoulder I would think.?;)

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. I have no doubt that there are tougher bullets available in this caliber. If you do your job, the 325 should hold up its end of the bargain.

Mikejd

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I think it was more of a matter of my shooting and the rest I had rather than the ammo. I have a lot of the Hornady, so I'll probably stick with it and do some more shooting late summer before the season.

I have some of the heavy 444 Buffalo Bore and it just about knocked my fillings out. lol
Your group was good by me all day long. I was just putting out how well the buffalo bore shoots. I sighted in on a lead sled so I was out of the equation and the difference between the Hornady to the buffalo bore was probably 1 1/2". Small potato's for hunting. But when I can make 3 touch at 50yds with a ghost ring that's good ammo.

45acp

Reaction score
Hi Longbow, I hunt with the Guide Gun in 450 marlin as well as my buddy. I shot one six point about 150# at approximately 150 yards dead on. He took three or for steps and dropped. My buddy shot a nice black bear in Maine few years back. Funny thing when he pulled the trigger the bear stepped behind a small tree about 8 inches thick the round went thru the tree and still nailed the bear. He did need to finish it off but truly amazing. Is your Guide gun Magna ported? Makes a big difference with recoil. Mine is my buddies is not noticeable difference.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Longbow, I hunt with the Guide Gun in 450 marlin as well as my buddy. I shot one six point about 150# at approximately 150 yards dead on. He took three or for steps and dropped. My buddy shot a nice black bear in Maine few years back. Funny thing when he pulled the trigger the bear stepped behind a small tree about 8 inches thick the round went thru the tree and still nailed the bear. He did need to finish it off but truly amazing. Is your Guide gun Magna ported? Makes a big difference with recoil. Mine is my buddies is not noticeable difference.
Not ported. Recoil not bad at all with the standard load.