Marlin 336SC .35 Remington

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
In another thread where we were talking about lever guns, I mentioned I missed my last one and someday hoped to have another and that I always like the .35 Sporting Carbine. A member here locally reached out that he had one he was interested in parting with and was kind enough to deliver it. Once I held it those days of hunting with a lever gun came back. Thanks Greg.

This week I got to reading and watching YouTube on crash course gunsmithing.

The gun is a 1951 waffle top. Was drilled for a scope, which I thought I would run but really liked the open sights. I removed the scope mounts, filled the holes with filler screws I picked up, and painted the front bead bright orange to use the buckhorn sight.

It had the original white butt stock spacer which was pretty shrunk, so instead of finding a replacement I just removed it as I like the cleaner look without.

I then filled the existing stud screw hole in the stock with a bullseye learning how on a marlin forum.

Next I stripped the gun completely down and cleaned off 70 years of grime, and got to the trigger which needed some work. The forward and back marlin floppy trigger I can deal with, but this had some left to right playbwhich I shimmed so the trigger is firm and breaks cleanly for what it is.

Very happy with the gun, can’t wait to shoot it. Ammo on the way. 94983294-F660-4A20-BD9B-DEA61250BD48.jpg 432FD7B3-0263-4338-8C4B-AC204E92E527.jpg BF623C2E-06C7-44DA-A473-0A18DB175539.jpeg

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Great rifle! What kind of ammo did you order?
The Hornady. Thoughts?
I got a box of corelokts locally too.
I’m not that experienced with different brands to be perfectly honest. Reading up on bullet performance is confusing. Some say the hornady at close range isn’t ideal, then the next 10 guys say it’s great.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
The Hornady. Thoughts?
I’m not that experienced with different brands to be perfectly honest. Reading up on bullet performance is confusing. Some say the hornady at close range isn’t ideal, then the next 10 guys say it’s great.
200 grain Corelokts are ideal in that rifle. The traditional load. Couple of inches high at 100, then a hold on the spine will put you in the boiler at 200. I'm sure the Hornady will be fine also, as long as they shoot good in your rifle, and they are flatter shooting also, but you won't be too concerned with that. Midway USA has the 200 grain Corelokt on sale now.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
You got me excited to use my 35 Remington! Never hunted with it. Used a 444 Marlin and a Savage 99 with peeps though. This is the peep set up I have on my 35 Remington. It screwed into the side, into the factory holes. Had to get a higher front sight. I like the Remington CoreLokt's for the rifle. :D

Could not tell you what model mine is, I see it is different than yours.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Nice. I had a peep like that on my 1895 45-70. I see this one at one time had the same as I can lightly see the outline. That’s what I love about these old guns, if they could tell a story. This one likely had stock sights, a peep, a buckhorn, and a scope during its duty.

I have never owned a .35 Remington though I think it’s a great round for Maine. Happy to add it to the safe.

Ill certainly hunt with it this year a bit.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
The Hornady. Thoughts?
I have the same exact rifle. Same year, everything. Mine was really accurate with core-lokts but I've had several that failed to fire. I picked up a box of the Hornady ammo but the gun didn't like it. I had jamming issues. I believe these older guns have a flat follower in the feed tube. The gummy tip can slide over to the side and cause issues. You can buy a concave follower that keeps the bullet in place. That is what the newer Marlin's have.

I ended up settling on Federal Power Shok 200gr ammo. I've probably shot 80 rounds of this ammo and I have never had a jam or misfire.

JDK

Reaction score
Nice

Both of my Marlin levers cloverleaf 200 gr. Corelokts. But they also did the same with Power Shok and Winchester ammo.

Matt used 200 gr. LEVERevoltion this year and was impressed with performance on his deer. His is a 760 however.

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
I'm sure you also know this but the bulls eye is Marlin's trademark and not where the stud is supposed to go.

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I'm sure you also know this but the bulls eye is Marlin's trademark and not with the stud is supposed to go.
I didn’t until recently. I think an owner at one time took out the original and installed the stud there as it’s fairly forward? The gun came without the stud and I had no intention of putting one in, so it was either use a bullseye or some filler which I did research on. The bullseye won out. All those older stocks had them, right? So the location should be accurate, not that it really matters to me much.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I had no idea about that trademark. I wondered about that because it’s right near where the swivel stud would go, I thought they were marking the spot or something.

JDK

Reaction score
I didn’t until recently. I think an owner at one time took out the original and installed the stud there as it’s fairly forward? The gun came without the stud and I had no intention of putting one in, so it was either use a bullseye or some filler which I did research on. The bullseye won out. All those older stocks had them, right? So the location should be accurate, not that it really matters to me much.
Yes, all of the older ones do (did). The new ones do not.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
You don’t shoot off your back deck like everybody else?;)

Not here!! I’m sorta, find an old gravel pit off a logging road guy. I do have a table, chair, and formal rest as I graduated from the hood of the truck years ago.

I didnt know about the trademark until about Monday until I started researching the bullseye. Said it was an indicator for a consumer at a gun shop to quickly determine the Marlins when they were in a rack with the underneath of the butt facing you. Really good advertising if you think about it.

Latest posts