Maine Moose Lottery 2018

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Well it's that time of year again! The Maine moose lottery will be held on 6/9/18 and results posted the same day!!
Is anybody going to moosefest in Skowhegan for the drawing??
I was just reading through the moose permit info page which was recently updated. A few things stick out to me
https://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting-trapping/moose-permit.html

A couple things to note.
1)" Note for applicants Age 65+: A recent law change guarantees a moose permit to any Maine resident applicant who is 65 years of age or older or will turn 65 during the calendar year of the hunt, who also has at least 30 points in the lottery system. Be sure to submit your application prior to the deadline and indicate all the seasons and WMDs where you are interested in getting a permit." The way the lottery system/bonus point works means that you will be guaranteed a tag when you turn 65 as long as you have been applying for 15 years. This is gonna screw up the odds for sure as a certain number of resident permits will get pulled out of the pool before the lottery even starts????
2) The NR "NON-RESIDENT LOTTERY
Non-Resident Applicants: 15,763
  Non-Resident Permits Issued: 207
  Non-Resident Selection Rate: 1.3% (~1 permit for every 76 applicants)
" This really tells us nothing as A) it doesn;t show you how many people are at what point level and B)you can buy as many chances in the lottery as you want!

I wonder if all that info is available...NH does a good job of conveying the info to let you know how many apps at each bonus pt level were in the drawing.

Do you think there will be an increase in applications since VT suspended their season??

outdoorsman

Reaction score
New Hampshire might see a blip but I doubt it will be significant. NH’s applications have been decreasing over the past few years.

Seeing Maine’s festival would be fun but I have other things I’ve placed as higher priority. I’ll be checking Maine’s website later in the day.

hurricane

Reaction score
Been to the last five lotteries, Caribou, Kittery, Presque Isle, Bethel and Greenville (I think?). A surprising number of people attending are drawn. Maybe they're feeling lucky that day? Anyway, that's a lot of happy people, friends of happy people, relatives of happy people, hunting buddies of....You get the idea.:smile: Lots of hunting stories of previous moose and the occasional suggestion or tip about spots or technique. Calling contest is a fun listen.

Good luck to you folks who've applied!

BearHunter

Reaction score
I am one of those non-resident lottery participants that has been donating faithfully every year since the first moose lottery.
Been on two hunts as a sub but never have been drawn. 66 years old and if I don't get drawn I may need to change my residency to Maine before the lottery application next year.
Don't think my wife would join me living in a cabin with no running water and an outhouse but for me it would be worth it.

Good luck to all who are in the lottery.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I am one of those non-resident lottery participants that has been donating faithfully every year since the first moose lottery.
Been on two hunts as a sub but never have been drawn. 66 years old and if I don't get drawn I may need to change my residency to Maine before the lottery application next year.
Don't think my wife would join me living in a cabin with no running water and an outhouse but for me it would be worth it.

Good luck to all who are in the lottery.
Do you buy any extra chances?

outdoorsman

Reaction score
I buy one block of extra chances. In the scheme of things I’m not sure how much the purchase actually helps my odds given I’m in the non-resident pool and tags are very limited.

hurricane

Reaction score
Congrats to BearHunter's daughter again.

A couple of hunting friends got lucky (both of 'em residents, after putting in for a looong time) so getting back into the moose woods is back on the itinerary. District 1 September bull hunts. Feeling thankful Mother Nature allows us these opportunities.:smile:

Paul/NH

Reaction score
Extra chances every year since they added that feature.
Maybe this will be the year.

Not trying to be a smarta$$ her... a serious question: after all this time do you think you have spent enough $ to do a guided hunt somewhere? Getting a bull moose is on my bucket list but nothing Id probably want to do twice. Im thinking of just starting to set cash aside for a trip????

Escout711

Reaction score
Not trying to be a smarta$$ her... a serious question: after all this time do you think you have spent enough $ to do a guided hunt somewhere? Getting a bull moose is on my bucket list but nothing Id probably want to do twice. Im thinking of just starting to set cash aside for a trip????
I’m with you. I gave up on the lottery when I moved out of NH. I had 6 points at the time, and realized that as a nonresident it could be a really long wait. If I ever get the urge to moose hunt, I figure a trip somewhere in Canada will be more feasible.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
I’m with you. I gave up on the lottery when I moved out of NH. I had 6 points at the time, and realized that as a nonresident it could be a really long wait. If I ever get the urge to moose hunt, I figure a trip somewhere in Canada will be more feasible.

Can not wait to get back north myself. Larger woods and less crowds is hard to beat.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
That is a very legitimate question Paul. I really believe I will go on one more moose hunt in my lifetime if I play in both lotteries. I have been in the Maine lottery since 2002-2003 (I believe/hope that I will be drawn for a moose tag in the next 10-15years). This was the first year I was able to get back in the NH lottery and I applied...I'm not sure why...my odds of drawing another NH tag are extremely low. I have friends who just got into both lotteries 3-4 years ago, they have already abandoned NH but keep applying for Maine. They also realized that they may never draw in either state and booked a Newfoundland hunt for next year...can't say I blame them

Flatlander

Reaction score
I was drawn in 93 or 94 with only one chance so it does happen. I only buy 1 chance each year but i have accumulated 80 pts. For $15 per year it's money well spent.

JDK

Reaction score
IMHO, as a non-resident, I'd probably put money aside for a guided hunt and do as Flatlander does. Of course, the year you go on a guided hunt would be the year you draw a tag.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
In Maine and NH, does the revenue from the lotto tix go directly to the Moose program, or does it get spread around to all the projects in the department?

JDK

Reaction score
In Maine and NH, does the revenue from the lotto tix go directly to the Moose program, or does it get spread around to all the projects in the department?
The last I knew, and haven't researched lately, was the application fees go to IF&W's general coffers and a portion of the permit fees go to moose research.

This is Maine.