Maine Lead Ammo Ban

groundtender

Reaction score
http://legislature.maine.gov/Audio/#206

Not surr if I did it correctly, or how! But that page should lead you to a lot of info about upcoming bills and Committee hearings. About the only thing I cannot find is how individual Committee members voted on whether or not a bill should die. So far it shows a lot of testimony on this bill from the public.

JDK

Reaction score
also I believe a bill to limit ways to hunt coyotes is to be heard today or soon

LD 1265 was referred to the IFW Committee on March 25th. This one scares me as much as the lead ban and it certainly is a back door way of not only prohibiting baiting and hounding coyotes but for bear in the future.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Originally, Maine was part of Massachusetts. Sounds like you guys are heading back in that direction. Portland should be called New Cambridge!

From a health perspective there are a lot of good reasons to not use lead bullets to harvest game. The research is pretty convincing. That said it should be a personal decision not the government baby sitting us.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Catching up form Florida. I saw this on a SAM alert before I left Maine for some sun. I am concerned that this could pass and with no ammo to be had how are we to hunt the next season?

Wood

Reaction score
also I believe a bill to limit ways to hunt coyotes is to be heard today or soon
Thats probably the clown who is a former representative. He has been hound dogging this for a long time. He has a website where he takes the ancient aliens approach to prove there are wolves in Maine.
He has no concept of managing populations. He just really, really hates hunting.
He is the same guy who tried to get northeastern coyotes classified as a different species. Same end goal. At the rate foxes are attacking people lately the unpopular coyote isn't going to get any legislative love.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Catching up form Florida. I saw this on a SAM alert before I left Maine for some sun. I am concerned that this could pass and with no ammo to be had how are we to hunt the next season?
If you get caught with lead ammo you get a warning the first time, then fines after that. The fines are probably less than buying the new ammo. :D
Here is the bill for whoever has not seen it.

IMG_4463.jpg

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Interesting to consider - Is walking through the woods with a gun loaded with lead bullets subject to a fine? With my success rate so low the past couple years I am questioning whether or not I am actually hunting, or just taking th erifle for a walk!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting to consider - Is walking through the woods with a gun loaded with lead bullets subject to a fine? With my success rate so low the past couple years I am questioning whether or not I am actually hunting, or just taking th erifle for a walk!
ha, ha. I think it is still considered hunting...

Pine-lock

Reaction score
The volume of lead put into the environment during hunting is minimal compared to most other forms of shooting let alone any industrial waste. At best this bill is ignorantly targeted, at worst and most likely this is maliciously targeted toward hunters.

mowbizz

Reaction score
The volume of lead put into the environment during hunting is minimal compared to most other forms of shooting let alone any industrial waste. At best this bill is ignorantly targeted, at worst and most likely this is maliciously targeted toward hunters.
I would say it’s both ignorant and malicious...

802-603hunter

Reaction score
should stand up in court, as long as you have the track record to back it up!

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
Did you read the testimony? Unbelievable.

Wood

Reaction score
The Irony is that every shingled roof in the state is stepped with lead. Crumbling lead. Bullets are not even remotely an issue.

Latest posts