Maine Hunting Report

JDK

Reaction score
For the record I complain about the full moon and a little about no snow.:mad:

Walking on a trail last week after dark, Matt and I remarked that you could probably shoot a deer with open sights. It was that bright.

Snowed

Reaction score
Just spent 3 days up in rockwood area towards Jackman. No deer sightings and not much sign. I never had the feeling that a deer was going jump up in front of me. I stopped in to a couple of tagging stations and they seemed down as well. The good news is that there are plenty of moose in the woods off the roads. Still good to get away from the crowds and the hectic life I that participate in. I hated the drive south just the same.

Snowed

Reaction score
Conspiracy theory here - could the way the deer yards have been hunted the past few years be affecting the numbers??? I know the way the deer yards have been cut and destroyed is the greatest culprit. Lots of smaller bucks being registered with not many 200’s. Just a thought of mine while I headed home.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Conspiracy theory here - could the way the deer yards have been hunted the past few years be affecting the numbers??? I know the way the deer yards have been cut and destroyed is the greatest culprit. Lots of smaller bucks being registered with not many 200’s. Just a thought of mine while I headed home.
It certainly didn’t help having two years back to back where by the third week most of the deer were in or close to yards. How much of an impact, hard to say. I think another impact which some may call me crazy, is the surge of everyone wanting to be a tracker. I don’t care if you are just a beginner, you put a thousand guys in that region on any given day behind buck tracks some guys are going to get lucky. In 15 minutes on the WWW you can determine what a decent buck looks like on snow. That’s the new target. Less guys sitting, tree stand hunting, watching cuts, more gps technology, etc. I think there are less big buck tracks in the woods at least up there.

JDK

Reaction score
It certainly didn’t help having two years back to back where by the third week most of the deer were in or close to yards. How much of an impact, hard to say. I think another impact which some may call me crazy, is the surge of everyone wanting to be a tracker. I don’t care if you are just a beginner, you put a thousand guys in that region on any given day behind buck tracks some guys are going to get lucky. In 15 minutes on the WWW you can determine what a decent buck looks like on snow. That’s the new target. Less guys sitting, tree stand hunting, watching cuts, more gps technology, etc. I think there are less big buck tracks in the woods at least up there.
You can blame YouTube and those that some here hold in high esteem for that.

groundtender

Reaction score
. Well said!

Reactions: JDK

JDK

Reaction score
I thought that were far more deer around this year than years past, at least in the parts of 3 and 6 that I hunt. Like last year, I had a difficult time finding what I’d consider big sign. There were far more scrapes and rubs that I can remember. I passed on a small buck here which was the only legal deer I saw.

we had 5-6 inches of snow last night and today would have been a killing day. The deer moved well yesterday morning before the snow started. Ended up seeing 3

JDK

Reaction score
I guess I should have also said that I thought road hunting and field hunting pressure was way up. People actually in the woods was down. Maybe the lack of snow kept the numbers down a bit

I spoke with a couple of trappers yesterday on the way out and they said that they had not seen a deer in the road in November. Very few moose also.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I just got home. 10 days in Maine. Only snow for 1 day, and it was less than forecasted. I saw 2 deer all week.

It was a frustrating week. The deer were there, but the weather and conditions sucked.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Side Note:

One of our guys went up in September and hung 3 cameras that he left until the week of Thanksgiving. Bucks were moving during daylight hours from November 14th-18th. 3 of them were Corkahs!

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
You can blame YouTube and those that some here hold in high esteem for that.
I do think that it certainly plays an impact. How much, hard to determine, but it’s trend
Side Note:

One of our guys went up in September and hung 3 cameras that he left until the week of Thanksgiving. Bucks were moving during daylight hours from November 14th-18th. 3 of them were Corkahs!
Did he put them on signpost rubs? Any chance he put his name on them?

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Side Note:

I teamed up with a couple kids (mid 20’s but because I’m old I call them kids) In town sharing some camera intel. All our cams said the same here in central NH.

Latest posts