Maine Hunting Report

BobtheBear

Reaction score
I found the first week that vitually nothing moved in the day light hours and the only deer that I saw where bedded in the middle of a patch of pucker brush ( thorn bushes for Massachusetts folk ) .The second week was a totally different story ,with the arrival of cold nights , the deer went into full rut.On Veterans day , when I shot mine , a friend shot a 12 point ,264 pound buck about a half mile from where I was.Since then , the reports that I have gotten are the deer are up and active , rubs and scrapes being tended but the deer seem to be bedding by 10 am.Loads of doe and skips being seen and even glimpses of big bucks in heavy cover.

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
I was surprised by the relatively high number of deer taken downeast. Things must be coming back there, maybe all the poachers are dead now….
Coastal down east has a pretty good population...the more you get inland,it's not much better than up north.

medrhunter

Reaction score
In Jackman now
Snow at higher elevations came in yesterday, nothing in town or lower area of Holeb rd.
Walked 9 miles on Monday, only cut 2 doe tracks in snow.
2 tracks today, chased 1 over the border into Canada. The other ran through a huge nasty cut cut, couldn't keep up
But least amount of sign I've seen in years.
Fingers crossed. Have to leave Friday morning.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
In Jackman now
Snow at higher elevations came in yesterday, nothing in town or lower area of Holeb rd.
2 tracks today, chased 1 over the border into Canada. The other ran through a huge nasty cut cut, couldn't keep up
Best of luck!

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
In Jackman now
How much longer do you think the snow will hang on?

groundtender

Reaction score
How much longer do you think the snow will hang on?
1-3” here in northern Aroostook depending on proximity to lakes. Another inch Wednesday night predicted. Cold now, 25 degrees. But tomorrow’s forecast is 45* and rain, so I don’t think snow on ground is going to hold on very long. Deer moved around a lot yesterday it seems. Bears did too

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Now it's back to rain and then snow. :)
Sucks for sure. I remember 5 or 6 years ago we did not have a flake all trough the season around my house and then on the last day of muzzleloader which was around 7 -9 December I shot a doe in the morning and around noon that day it started snowing hard and got maybe 6 inches of snow but the season was now over.

JDK

Reaction score
When we get snow and the deer start migrating towards the yards- people complain.

When we don’t get snow- people complain.

when it is warm and deer movement is slow- people complain

When it is cold- people complain

Full moon-people complain

weird rut- people complain

we sure are a fickle bunch.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
When we get snow and the deer start migrating towards the yards- people complain.

LOL. Isn't that the truth? Just get out and hunt.....saw nothing this morning. Got to go upta Waterville today so I am done until tomorrow.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Jeff tracked down a big one this morning. Getting the play by play on the Garmin Inreach - he just got it out to the truck.

Uncle Gary knocked down 160lb broken racked what would have been a 4 point earlier this week.
Can't wait to hear the stories and pictures.

Big D

Reaction score

For the record I complain about the full moon and a little about no snow.:mad:

Reactions: JDK

Latest posts