Maine Hunting Report

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Just talked to my friend who is on his way back from hunting up in the North Maine Woods, west of Ashland, with 5 other friends. There were about 20 guys in camp total and they were only able to knock a small 4 point down yesterday, after a week of hunting. He said the weather was pretty warm and they saw only a few does and very little deer sign. Tough week for them, but that's the way it goes up in Maine.

Browseline

Reaction score
3 of us hunted the first week in Maine. No one saw a deer and little sign of any. It was hard to find a track in the leaves or mud. Two of us covered quite a bit of ground on some days and in different places, but couldn't find the deer. The deer yards in the area are all cut off and every year the hunting is a little worse. The camp life and wild country keeps us coming back to Western Maine. If the main objective was getting a deer, we would have been long gone from the area 15 years ago.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, and my friends hunt hard. Dawn to dusk in the woods. They said they saw little or no sign where they found some last year. Tough hunting.

JDK

Reaction score
As of last night 23,133 deer tagged statewide thus far. 33 out of zone 5, 230 out of 6, 24 from 2. Tells the tale for sure.

Earl

Reaction score
We just got home, very VERY little sign, in over 20 yrs of hunting in Maine the silence was eerie. Very few birds of any breed were seen. Total only saw about 20 red squirrels. One day it was 68. They were moving....

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
We just got home, very VERY little sign, in over 20 yrs of hunting in Maine the silence was eerie. Very few birds of any breed were seen. Total only saw about 20 red squirrels. One day it was 68. They were moving....
Were you deer hunting?

groundtender

Reaction score
As of last night 23,133 deer tagged statewide thus far. 33 out of zone 5, 230 out of 6, 24 from 2. Tells the tale for sure.
I was surprised by the relatively high number of deer taken downeast. Things must be coming back there, maybe all the poachers are dead now….

mainehunter99

Reaction score
Was up Friday and Saturday, saw 34 does and I passed up a head shot on a bedded down buck through some thick brush about 150 yards away. They are around

Last edited:

Latest posts