Magazine springs

lester2

Reaction score
Last year I shot a bear, 3 shots, and two coyote together, 4 shots. In both instances after cycling the action all I got was a “click” on an empty action and had to cycle again. At the time I thought I’d just “short stroked” it but today I found the culprit. I put a new Redfield 2x7 on over the winter so today I sighted it in. Again, a couple times when cycling the action it wouldn’t pick up a round. So when I finished I went to the garage and started with the mag and low and behold when I popped the follower off the spring came out in 2 pieces. I’ve got 3 others so I took them out and one of them also had a broken spring. Unfortunately no one has them in stock. I checked a few sites and hit the “notify me” button. Any suggestions on where to find a couple??

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Have you tried Remington themselves? I’ve called them on 3 occasions for parts and believe it or not they have had them right on hand and sent them to me at no charge at all. Nicest people in customer service I have ever spoken to.

Last edited by a moderator:

lester2

Reaction score
Tanks KC, hadn’t even thought to do that. I’ll give ‘em a call Monday morning!

lester2

Reaction score
Thanks again KC, $5 apiece from Remington, should have them in a couple of weeks.

lester2

Reaction score
Me too KC. They actually arrived Friday, installed them in a few minutes and we are back in business.

marishUll

Reaction score
Yes, I've read about it in several articles, but I've never encountered it myself, so it's very relevant and interesting to me now. My father is a hunter, and ever since I was a child he told me the most incredible stories from his hunting trips, which I remember very well. Some time ago (probably two years ago) I was reading https://www.pdfmagaz.in/category/computers/ and found a story similar to yours. The most amazing thing is that the man knows a lot about technique, but nothing about the art of hunting and he tried his hand at it. Interesting, isn't it?

Last edited:

Grandkid

Reaction score
Lester2 do you have a photo of the issue? I’m trying to visualize it.
Thanks
Roger-

lester2

Reaction score
Lester2 do you have a photo of the issue? I’m trying to visualize it.
Thanks
Roger-
No, I don’t. I tossed out the broken springs. The springs are a single flat piece of steel, just slightly narrower than the magazine body and they are “Z” shaped. Both broke right at the lower sharp angle of the Z. Hope that explanation helps!

Grandkid

Reaction score
Got it. Not sure how to access them without ruining the clip. Thanks Roger-

lester2

Reaction score
Got it. Not sure how to access them without ruining the clip. Thanks Roger-
So the top of the spring slides into what is called the follower. That’s the piece you see when you look at the magazine from the top. The bent in lips of the magazine hold the follower, and spring underneath it, in place. To disassemble it push down on the follower, tip it to one side and gently use a thin flat tip screwdriver to pull and pry upwards. Once one side of the follower clears the lip the whole thing will come out. Let me know how you make out.

Latest posts