M1 Garand

JJM6

Reaction score
The winter is getting to me. Stopped at shooters outpost today. No primers, big surprise. Went upstairs just to “ walk the guns”. As expected limited inventory. Struck up a conversation with a guy who seemed to know a good bit about Garands. Never really considered one but may have the bug. Seems there is quite a bit to know, matching numbers or no matching numbers....manufacturer vs manufacturer...saw service bs trading rifle. Any tips for figuring out the right one? I’d shoot it once in a while but really Feel drawn the history.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Cool rifle. I have a sporterized 1903 Springfield that I hunt with. Feel the same way about the history. Do you think you will hunt with it or just like to have one to shoot and fondle once in a while. 😃

Don't know anything about the Garands, good luck with your search.

IMG_4381.jpg IMG_4382.jpg

JJM6

Reaction score
Doubt I’ll ever hunt with it. Plenty of rifles and shotguns for that. It would be a novelty piece for me and somehow I’m starting to justify it to myself as an “investment .” We hear all the time that the AR15 is the American rifle. I suppose it is today and I have a couple and enjoy them. Maybe I’m just getting a bit nastalgic as I age. Got a bunch of semi auto pistols including five 1911s but find myself drawn to blue revolvers lately.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I think guns are a good investment. Not only something you can use, but something that will hold its value and go up in almost all cases if you hold them long enough.

kevin in nh

Reaction score
I have been buying/trading/selling guns for 40+ years and I have always found spend your money once and junk will always be junk!
I had 3 M-1s, a Springfield, an H&R, and I kept the Winchester. Like most military weapons the parts all fit each other and there are a zillion mixmasters out there but they work. You can still find "correct" ones but the price will reflect it. The M-1 is probably the most fun to shoot. As far as 1911/1911 A-1 I went buck nutty buying them and you can make very expensive mistakes as they too are a lot of times a mixture of different manufactures parts. .45s from 1911 to 1945 will fit each other. The CMP is the place to start for M-1S and 1911s . My latest is a 1916 Colt and a 2007 Series 80 Colt Custom and both were from an auction site. I too love revolvers and last week a Smith model of 1955 in .45 ACP arrived it is from 1960 with 6 1/2" barrel to keep my other S&Ws and Colt revolvers company. The 1911s and M-1s are history you can own and shoot!!!

Meatseeker

Reaction score
M1 Garands are a lot of fun to shoot. Remarkably accurate for a peep sighted auto-loader. Like Kevin from NH said. Check out the CMP website. If you belong to an affiliated gun club they will ship it to your door. I live in MA and even with our super restrictive gun laws the CMP will ship it to your door.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Yes. The citizen marksmanship program is a cold war era federally authorized program to put military surplus firearms into the hand of U.S. citizens to promote shooting proficiency. They verify your ID and you have to send them notarized paperwork. But its legit. I live in MA and they legally shipped a semi-auto 30-06 to my door. Its a bit of a pain in the ass... but the best way to pay fair value for a working M!

Latest posts