LP Gas Refrigerator Question

rustyg

Reaction score
My buddy and I are considering installing a propane refigerator in our off the grid camp.
We are looking at one that was pulled out of an RV.
Does anyone have any experience with these types of refrigerators?
It will also run on DC electricity. We have a solar panel and bettery lights set up in camp.
I was also wondering how much propane they use.
If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rusty

lester2

Reaction score
I’ve used and maintained them at a few off grid camps over the years. Maintenance is key. There’s an exhaust tube in the back that needs yearly cleaning, most have a long handled brush hanging on the back to accomplish that task. Vacuuming out dust, cobwebs, etc from the back and underneath, especially near the pilot helps also. At one camp for a two week hunting season one 100lb propane tank was more than enough for the refrigerator, cook stove and backup propane wall heater.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the insight Lester. I’ve thought about this on occasion for my camp. I haven’t actively sought one out and never had one land in my lap to force the decision. Maybe someday though, it would be handy for prolonged summer stays. Deer season temps usually aren’t an issue keeping coolers cold, one year we had problems keeping stuff from freezing in them it was so cold!

Latest posts