Looking into making my first purchase for a rifle and scope.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I've only shot a Marlin 45/70 a few times.The ammo was green box Rem. maybe 400 gr. Pretty stout kick. Not a pleasant experience.
If you don't like that 405 grain Remington ammo then maybe the 45-70 is not for you. That is about the mildest kicking load for the 45-70. Although the bullet is heavy it is loaded for use in all rifles, even the "trapdoor" Springfields that can't take the pressures of a Buffalo Bore type round.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I have the Henry All Weather 45/70. Set up with a skinner peep. Required a HUGE front sight. Mild recoil with the cowboy action loads but a big time thumper with Double Tap 405gr at 1800fps!
Yeah, those Double Taps are a big jump up from the Remington 405's at 1300 fps.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
That's the nice thing about the 45-70. You can use the cowboy loads or Remington 405s for shooting pleasure/deer hunting, but then get some Buffalo Bore FMJ Barnes Penetrators for Cape Buffalo, or Grizzly if there are any of those around....

You basically have the equivalent of a 375 H&H with the hot loads.

moreau1991

Reaction score
I really hate when someone comes to me and tells me that I should get rid of my guns because it is dangerous to own them. I had many people argue with me that guns are bad and I just know that they would love to have a gun if they found themselves in a bad situation. Hunting is my favorite thing and Recently I have bought a new hunting scope from ATN. You can check out their HD scopes on their website. The one I have ATN X-Sight II HD 3-14X and I really like that I can use it durring the night also. The price for it is reasonable and it makes hunting much more pleasant for me.

Last edited:

Grandkid

Reaction score
I have a 300 Weatherby Mag and it kicks pretty hard compared to my 35 Whelen, 7600.

But, neither compare to the 350 grain Buffalo Bore ammo I shot out of my Marlin 45-70 Cowboy. I think I lost a couple of fillings that day.
I'll have to try that load in my Marlin 45-70.....Maybe I'll knock the bridge loose....o_O
Roger-