Looking into making my first purchase for a rifle and scope.

Sense

Reaction score
So this would be my first purchase
I'm thinking of getting a all around rifle something could use for hogs sub 100 yard range and something I can use for elk or buck up to approximately 600 yards.
I was thinking about possibly a .300 win mag only thing is I am a lefty so I would prefer a bolt action left handed rifle with an adjustable stock
And for scopes I would want an illuminated one I have looked at a few
Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm Riflescope, Illum. FireDot Duplex (110686)

Although leaning toward

Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 3-18x44 Second Focal Plane Riflescope - EBR-4 Reticle

As for rifles I dont have much of a clue on brands. So a little insight on that would be greatly appreciated

Sense

Reaction score
Well recently texas although I'm going to do more hunting around Wyoming

JDK

Reaction score
Is this your first rifle? Or just the first you have bought?

Have you ever shot a 300 mag of any flavor before?

Sense

Reaction score
First I have bought. I use my families rifles before and I have but was a long time ago.

JDK

Reaction score
I’m not sure who makes an adjustable stocked left handed rifle other than Savage and Bergera. Bergera offers theirs in 300 Win but not sure about Savage

JDK

Reaction score
I was going to ask the same question about the 300 Win. Mag. There are a whole host of other cartridges out that that are cheaper to shoot and won't rattle your teeth. As much as I like the Tikka, a sub-7 pound 300 winny isn't going to be all that much fun to shoot. You also don't "need" a 300 to perforate piggies or elk or bucks.

That said, I'm not the one buying.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
As a fello lefty myself, not sure what an adjustable stock would be like for that kind of hunting, and I do not think it's needed. Regarding caliber, .308 or 30-06 is all that you need including hunting for elk. The ammo these days is really outstanding for short or long distances, that a magnum is not really necessary. I have a 300wsm browning which shoots fantastic, but if I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gone with a 30-06.

Regarding type of rifles, sounds like you are in the market for a bolt action, and I would get one with a detachable mag. Browning and Tikka are nice guns, and doubt you would be disappointed in either one.

Sense

Reaction score
Oh
As a fello lefty myself, not sure what an adjustable stock would be like for that kind of hunting, and I do not think it's needed. Regarding caliber, .308 or 30-06 is all that you need including hunting for elk. The ammo these days is really outstanding for short or long distances, that a magnum is not really necessary. I have a 300wsm browning which shoots fantastic, but if I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gone with a 30-06.

Oh really why is that. Just preference or?
Tbh the only rifle I have alot of experience shooting is a 308 but I would prefer not to shoot that anymore cause I want to make a purchase for an all around rifle. That I can elk, hog and even deer hunt with.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
The 308 is a fantastic round, and was used for long range for decades. Also with your 308 and 30-06, the ammo is really cheap, which means a lot of range time that will not hurt your wallet. I hunted elk last november and scored a bull on the first day, with a shot just over 200yards. Even though I had zeroed my rifle to 200, it was a long shot for me, so doubt I would be comfortable shooting out to 600. I love my 300wsm browning a bolt, but I wish I could shed some weight, rifle wise, however I would not want to shoot a lightweight rifle chambered for a magnum caliber.

Listen to Randy, he's shot more elk than anyone.

Sense

Reaction score
The 308 is a fantastic round, and was used for long range for decades. Also with your 308 and 30-06, the ammo is really cheap, which means a lot of range time that will not hurt your wallet. I hunted elk last november and scored a bull on the first day, with a shot just over 200yards. Even though I had zeroed my rifle to 200, it was a long shot for me, so doubt I would be comfortable shooting out to 600. I love my 300wsm browning a bolt, but I wish I could shed some weight, rifle wise, however I would not want to shoot a lightweight rifle chambered for a magnum caliber.

Listen to Randy, he's shot more elk than anyone.
See the rounds dont bother me as we usually load our own but I'll definitely look into it

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score

Big D

Reaction score
I'll agree w/ some of the others regarding .308 or .30/06. I personally would not want to deal with the recoil of the .300.

Escout711

Reaction score
.30-06, .308, or 7mm-08 only for me if I’m buying a new gun. All 3 are fantastic calibers that will kill just about everything in North America, and ammo is cheap and readily available.

DeerMeadowFarm

Reaction score
If you go .30-06 you'll never be without ammo in any country store you go to. You may not have the brand or grain you'd like to shoot, but you'll have something to shoot. .308 is a close second,.

groundtender

Reaction score
If you go .30-06 you'll never be without ammo in any country store you go to. You may not have the brand or grain you'd like to shoot, but you'll have something to shoot. .308 is a close second,.
Absolutely. .30-06 or .308 for anything in North America except coastal brown bear.

mowbizz

Reaction score
In your opinion, what is the MINIMUM cartridge for coastal BB?
Would a 7mm mag with 170gr do the job?
I know you can kill most anything with any cartridge but the idea is to put a big hurt on him with the first shot...then follow up as needed. 12 ga slug is good for stopping a charge too.