Looking for E1 rifle bull moose help (Vermont)

Jdp010

Reaction score
New member here as I'm from out west and just drew 2020 E1 rifle any moose tag (VT). 10/17-22/2020.

I plan to arrive several days early to set up camp and scout but know little else other than the past harvest distribution maps for E1.

I have a sub-permittee (my 12 yo son who I hope will shoot), but could sure use a guide. I'm not able to spend thousands for a NH or ME guide and I understand VT doesn't require licensed guides. So if you are local (or know anyone) who would like to help for a modest daily rate, I would like to talk. Someone with calling experience and E1 knowledge who is a good hunter - not necessarily someone who calls themself a "guide".

And I welcome any PMs if you have E1 rifle bull knowledge you would be willing to share.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Congratulations on the permit.

Get yourself a GPS map or a vermont atlas that shows all the back roads in E1. Henshaw road, Stone Dam road, and East Branch road will all take you way back into the woods. Good luck!

VTHunter08

Reaction score
East Branch road will all take you way back into the woods. Good luck!
Oh boy east branch that brings back some memories. We use to deer hunt up in the mountains off the east branch. actually shot my first vermont rifle buck up there when I was 15. We'd mountain bike about 2.5-3 miles in on logging roads before daylight and start the hunt from there. It was nothing to see 20-30 moose over a long weekend up there, but that was in the late 90's. The year I shot my buck, we had seen a couple nice buck tracks cross a clear cut at the top of the mountain so sunday (the last day we were going to be up there) dad and I packed a treestand in with us with the intentions of us splitting the entire day in it. I chose the morning sit, and within 30min of sitting caught a 130lbs 5 pointer crossing the cut. Ended up getting him, but it was the only deer I had seen that weekend, but had seen 15-20 moose in the 4 days. I dragged my buck down the mountain by myself so my dad could take the stand that afternoon. He ended up shooting a 4 pointer out of the same stand that afternoon. It was a great father/son day.

Anyways great unit for moose. Big woods! Good luck!

Jdp010

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the welcome everyone. I've been getting some PMs too.
And I'll make sure to get back here with some pics and a write-up after the hunt.

Jdp010

Reaction score
Success on a young palmated bull!

Thanks for all the PMs and the help I got from some of you in the field.

I will warn future readers that JetBlue airlines (out of BOS) was awfully strict with my two checked bags (48qt coolers) of meat. I had to remove meat to get to exactly 50# and they opened up coolers to visually see whether I had “dry ice” inside. I did not – but they listened to reason – that frozen meat would not require that.

For a guy from out west, it was nice to see/hear all the Vermont locals encouraging me to just shoot a cow/calf on my either sex (E/S) tag. The locals really just wanted to see meat in the freezer and were not hung up at all on antlers. Sure didn’t look like many cows/calves were taken so I’m not sure that these E/S tags are going to go far on getting the moose population under 1 per square mile (to deal with winter ticks). Glad I got a small bull and didn’t have to struggle later in the week trying to find a dry cow. As I’m not sure what I would have shot on day 6 (last day) if I was presented only with cow/calf pairs.

Awesome area of the country to visit and hunt.

Will try to get a lower rez pic to upload a little later.

Jdp010

Reaction score
A little more about the hunt/tactics. There are plenty of moose in E1. I think one could certainly hold out until day 4 (of 6) for a bull before taking a cow or calf. And if calf recruitment(survival) is the problem with the winter ticks, I would be inclined to shoot a calf rather than a wet cow (opinion).

Saw a large bull when scouting (never saw him again). Several cows scouting (2 days). On day 1, saw a decent bull (no shot) and several cows/calves. Tagged out day 2 (young palmated bull walked by while we were resting off a trail). Loud in the woods that day as recent snow was crunchy. So probably wouldn’t have found a bull with us walking around anyway. Moose hunting in New England is definitely mostly about finding the clear cuts and checking them regularly. If lucky enough to find recent tracks, might be able to track one and sneak up on it.

And definitely reach out to VT G&F about getting permission for a 4th person in your group (a “videographer”). As otherwise, only the permittee, sub-permitte and licensed/unlicensed “guide” can be in field together. Very much a different experience than hunting out west.

Also nice to see a state like Vermont that constitutionally opens all private land to hunters (unless the LO posts it via the method in the regs). This is also contrary to most states out west.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats on your moose! Must have been a great trip. Did you end up getting a guide or just do it on your own? Did you shoot the moose or did your son? Or both?

Jdp010

Reaction score
With COVID, and my 12 yo son struggling with distance schooling, we decided he just shouldn’t leave home for 10 days. VT G&F was kind enough to do a last minute name change on my sub-permittee to an old friend of mine. He drove 1300 miles to help shoot my bull. The New England Moose “2-shooter concept” was foreign to both of us but it was a lot of fun. Especially for a couple guys who really couldn’t have cared less which guy shoots. It turns out - we both got hits that were critical to recovering the bull. Although we shot 3 hours apart – long story – but thank God for that heavy snow on opening day and two drops of blood.

A member on this forum spent a day with me scouting (in-person) and pointed me in the right direction. Another member hooked me up with a fantastic hunter/tracker in the area that scouted with me and carried my guide pass. All of this was unpaid. Sure seemed like the locals just wanted to be involved in moose hunting and just genuinely wanted to help. We also met several folks in the field that were all the same way (including competing tagholders). Was nice to see that in the hunting community as we just don’t often see that with elk & deer tags out west. I wonder how all of this relates to the fact that Vermont doesn’t license guides in any way. Which is yet another foreign concept from a western hunter. Out west, someone like Vermont “guide” would have been quickly interrogated by G&F and accused of unlicensed guiding (e.g., accused of accepting under the table payments, etc..).

$350 is simply too cheap for a non-resident moose tag in the US. NH & Maine are similarly too cheap. Even with 7 years of $70 point accumulation in VT, I simply got by too cheaply for this tag. Will be interesting to see when the data comes out how long my odds were in a Covid year to draw an NR E/S tag as an NR.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Congrats on the hunt. Type up the story at some point if you have time please. I agree with everything you're saying about the kindness of people. The moose hunt absolutely brings out the best in people and hunter to hunter relationships.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Also nice to see a state like Vermont that constitutionally opens all private land to hunters (unless the LO posts it via the method in the regs). This is also contrary to most states out west.
Shhhh, now don't go spreading that around out there...

*I'm teasing - its actually something most of us are pretty proud of.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Its awesome to hear you had such a great experience in New England and congrats on getting your moose. Is it your first one? Have you eaten moose before?

Browseline

Reaction score
I'm glad you had a good time in Vt and got a nice moose. Congratulations. Looking forward to your story.

Latest posts