Looking for a little help

Full Rut

Reaction score
I've been hunting in Northern NH (Pittsburg) mostly. I have noticed that most of the paper mill owned land is beginning to get a little populated with hunters. Since I spend most of my vacation time during actual hunting season while weekends and holidays are spent doing the household "honey-do" projects (so I can hunt) There isn't much time for me to scout other areas. I live in central VT (Wolcott) and love the hunt near Magalloway, but would like to find some land that may be less used. Does anyone have any suggestions? Long walks are not a problem.
I know giving away secret hunting ground is not a common practice, so I understand if I get no responses, but would appreciate any info at all. I am also very interested in hunting in the Maine area corresponding to Pittsburg, but do not know how to get to the hunting roads there? Where else in Maine is recommended for me to drive for a weekend hunt?

I like to track and stand hunt depending upon the snow or lack of.

Thank you very much,

I really enjoy reading these posts.....especially as the cold sets in snow is in the forcast!

Full Rut

Bill/NH

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Full Rut. Have you ever considered going a bit further north in Pittsburg? I know a lot of people hunt the Magalloway area, but for a longer haul up the road you may find it less crowded than Magalloway. Further north off of Rt 3 you can go up to the East Inlet and hunt north of the 2nd Conn Lake. If you want a little longer ride you could hunt any of the tributaries of the Indian Stream up to Canada. If you go through Beecher Falls you can also hit the Hall Stream area. Dig out a map, the possibilities abound the further north you head. Good luck in finding your spot.

Just across te border in Maine is more of the same. We hunt up by the Kennabago Lakes. From the border going in on Rt 16 to Stratton and all the land north of there, which is a big chunk of real estate is tough but fairly not crowded hunting. There are a few places you can rent camps at or stay in a hotel in Rangeley or Stratton/Eustis.

Anyways, hope you stick arund and help liven up the NH forum. Bill

Lokewolf

Reaction score
I've been hunting birds, rabbits, and deer in Pittsburg for 15yrs or so now. When I first started I was more interested in small game cuz I was only 13 or 14 going with my dad. We would see all the deer hunters in November and they mainly like to stay closer than venture further down the logging roads. For the last 10 yrs or so I've been hunting deer with a passion so I've learned more about the type of hunters up there.

East Inlet has few hunters that go way in, the farther you get from the main road and the cabin, the less hunters there are. Magalloway is similar but also has a heck ova lot more roads to find a spot, don't get lost, you might end up somewhere in Clarksville or behind lake Francis. Indian stream is another hot spot for road hunters who like to stay close, but you'll find less people toward the end of that road. Perry Stream has bit bumpier road and I think that turns off some of them because they aren't patient enough to tough it out and go further in to those nice spots way at the end. There is a set of trails/roads on the other side on Perry stream thats gated and closed at least durning the spring and summer, but two years ago it was open and there was some really great hunting up there...its part of the Perry stream ATV trail system so I don't know if its closed year round now or what to trucks. I was hoping to scout out the Hall Stream area this summer but that fizzled out when I started building a deck and shed at home in Weare.

Full Rut

Reaction score
Loke wolf/Bill,
Thanks a lot fella's. A few of my buddies hunt Indian Stream, but my best guess would have them no more than mile away form their trucks all day. Not exactly "hiker"s.
Last year during the first week of muzzle, I spent more than normal time in the truck due to the dry warm weather. I drove up the Indian Stream road or atleast I think that's what it was. (I went up the road that started before Pittsburg village, at the State Garage and moose weighing station. I drove that road out for many miles. It didn't appear to have many branching roads? Do people mostly hunt off that road? Does it come out North of Pittsburg? I've got a map on it's way (Rand McNally local) Maybe it'll help.
Maybe this year I'll try hunting a little further north? I'm staying across from Youngs store for week or two, if the drive isn't bad, maybe I'll head up there? I don't mind the tough terrain at all, it's bumping into hunters all day, that I don't like. I must say though one of my favorite parts of hunting is driving around in the dark of morning, after a fresh snow, drinking my coffee, looking for and finding a big fresh monster track. That is getting harder to do in Pittsburg due the traffic. (Stupid out of staters, like me, ha)

I'm going to check into these other places as well.

Thank you so much for help guys. Great luck this year.

Rut

Latest posts