Longbow Elk

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Thought I would post this hunt as not much is going on right now, and elk season is not to far away.

Flew out to Denver with my gear and rented a car. I was pleasantly surprised when my midsize rental was upgraded to a Lincoln Town Car!

This was the life, I was thinking as I was driving thru the mountains in style in my Towncar. Stopped and bought my over the counter license at a sport shop.

Arrived at my camping spot and set up my tent behind the car and got everything ready, for the hunt in the morning.
I would cook oatmeal with a banana in the morning, make a sandwich for lunch and head out about 2 or 3 miles each day. I would come back at dark and cook some burgers or chicken on the grill and get to bed. A friend that lived out there stopped in at camped and hunted with me for a few day, but then departed.

Had a great week with some close calls, but could not quite seal the deal until the last morning.
I had elk all around me and got in between two very angry bull elk that were screaming at each other and me. Finally a big bull came marching down thru the aspens and grassy glade right at me! I was tucked into a small spurce as he marched by at 7 yard. I pulled my 75# longbow back and held. When he was directly broadside I realeased my cedar shaft, tipped with a 2 blade Magnus broadhead. The arrow hit with a "smack", right in the heart area, but I feared that I hit too much bone. A lot of arrow hanging out. He ran back up the hill and stopped at 80 yards. As I watched I saw him start to stagger. Then I knew I had gotten in deep enough! I snuck up to him keeping a tree between us and drilled him again at 10 yards. He staggered and went down. I was overwhelmed with it all and did some shouting a haleluia's! lol Then composed myself and thanked God and paid my respects to the beautiful animal. What a week it had been!
Made several round trips with the meat, about 2 miles one way. Most exhausting thing I have every done in my life!

Got everything in the back of the Towncar and got out to the hot top where luckily was able to phone the butcher who met me at his shop at 10pm. Drove to the airport, 4 hours, and got on the plane for home at 6 am.

I got the meat shipped a few weeks later and got to work on mounting the elk.

Thanks for reading!

elk.jpg.21802c9c6c473b8f037996847ed229e6.jpg IMG_3415.jpg

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
That is one heck of an adventure. How many trips did you have to make to retrieve all the meat and of course the cape and antlers ?

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
What a hunt & very nice bull!...couple questions. What year did you do the trip?...& is it still considered a DIY hunt if your driving a Lincoln Town car?

groundtender

Reaction score
Most excellent LB. Great bull, and sytylin’ ride. Would you say that an elk is about as much work once it’s down as an average 600-700 lb bull moose? Thanks again

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Most excellent LB. Great bull, and sytylin’ ride. Would you say that an elk is about as much work once it’s down as an average 600-700 lb bull moose? Thanks again
I think a nice sized bull would be about 550 gutted. So, quite a bit smaller than a large bull. Hind quarter is about 70lbs or so.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
What a hunt & very nice bull!...couple questions. What year did you do the trip?...& is it still considered a DIY hunt if your driving a Lincoln Town car?
This trip was in 2001.

My first trip out there was in 1985 and I shot the first elk that I ever saw in the wild, a 4x4 with my bow. That was a solo trip, I was 23. My parter cancelled out on me a week befroe the trip and I said, well, I'm going alone. Shot the 4x4 on the first morning, after bugling him in.

I had been out there a few times before the trip with the Towncar, so I knew I didn't need a truck and saved some money on the rental.

JDK

Reaction score
Missed this completely

Very nice adventure.

Latest posts