LIVE from Kansas 2012!!

bbruno

Reaction score
here is a trailcam pic of the second buck who knocked my decoy over...that was couple days ago

bbruno

Reaction score
day 8 morning
65 degrees and windy. supposed to get to 81 today. tomorrow morning will be 30's. Monday morning in the 20's. 20's is tough to sit if wind is blowing at all. hard to stay warm.

back same set as last night. first time this season have not hunted in timber. just on the outside of a doe bed. so expecting to see bucks in and out of bed checking does.

bbruno

Reaction score
just see 2 yr old buck across field. both stood up. they were bedded in grass. he followed her all the across cornfield. then started to chase her. for the most part he was following. I may end up getting down crossing field where they were. justice hard to tell how hot she was. my guess is they have been bedded since first light. no other bucks have been around.

bbruno

Reaction score
Gave up the evening hunt to scout. Dallas went sat in my set. Toughest year I have seen in KS yet. Did find some promising sign today. My main piece of ground I have been hunting is just dry as a bone. Deer have just moved off it and no deer have moved back in. Area usually has a pretty strong doe group living there. Not this year. So we are back to other properties that held promise. One in particular is a bedding area that has a ton of beds in it. Jumped a double main beam buck off it a week ago. Dallas said he was a giant. Am hoping to hang a set in these beds and hope to catch a cruising buck looking for hot does in the beds. Morning sets for the most part.

Did find another dead deer today. It was a doe.

bbruno

Reaction score
day 9 morning
man is it cold this morning! 32 and windy. lucky for me in a spot where wind is broke a bit by the trees. I can hear it howling across field but here not so bad. these are the temps everyone has been waiting for. I personally don't think it will make all that much difference. the breed is in full swing. we had awesome temps last week and the movement was still slow. I have never had an open tag this late before in ks. we are now. in. new territory lol.

bbruno

Reaction score
ended up seeing doe and lamb and small. called right to my stand. got down around 9:30-9 45. buddy further west of us shot decent 10 this morning. probably 125-130

bbruno

Reaction score
day 9 evening.
well got on stand at 2:30ish. went hung stand on another farm we have permission on. looking for another morning set. looked at this farm last year. looked awesome. just our number one spot has always been great. its not happening on that farm this year. was good at first of trip. slowed down to a crawl. this new spot is a bed beds are everywhere. bucks are coming into beds and checking them...jumped deer out of them nearly everytime we been there.

hunting corn again tonight. different set. nnw wind so had to shift. stay tuned. its cold and windy

bbruno

Reaction score
wow first time I have been skunked this trip. seen 7 different bucks from this area. one night saw 11 deer in this set. not tonight.

bbruno

Reaction score
day 10 morning
did not post much this morning. pretty cold. got settled in. started rattling. right off the bat rattled in small buck. rattled right to tree. he ended up coming back in again. but that was it. slow slow morning. sat till 11. got down. met up with Dallas. he scouted the other end of farm jumped up 140+ bedded with does. this is the first time ever hunting this property.

so got down. grabbed stand. hung it in the funnel we found last year. not hammered like it was but they just moved the cows off it. so we shall see.

bbruno

Reaction score
day 10 evening
much warmer tonight. ended up on new piece. sitting on ground in makeshift ground blind with decoy. hunting corner watching neighbors corn. hoping the decoy does the trick. all ready 4-5 deer here running around when I got here. buck was bumping them. when you can barely see the horns at 100 yds you know he is not a good one.

than about 10 min ago heard deer behind me. 2 yr old winded me. straight west wind. he got a nose full that's for sure.

bbruno

Reaction score
wow what a crazy evening!! just at sunset I hear deer below me cracking horns together. I mean they are going to town!! after 10 min of this, grab grunt tube and rattle bag and head out across field to see what was fighting.

just about the time I had stepped out of the blind part way across field 125" buck steps out heading same direction I was. he heard rattling. I scootch down grunt at him, rattle at him he turns head but continues in same direction. he spooks off. so I turn around here comes another smaller Buck. he spooks. as I am heading back to blind here comes another up over the creek bank. i get to blind turn around and here comes another buck from different direction. he comes part way to decoy...but gets nervous because there is a buck coming across field to meet him!!! that buck does come closer but never commuter. nutty night that's for sure.

bbruno

Reaction score
day 11 morning
wow I never expected to be still hunting on day 11!!! whether its the blue tongue, ehd or whatever deer numerate seem to be down. so its scout scout scout....

back hunting same set as yesterday. cold this morning but no wind. should be in a good spot for calling. hunting same farm I was on last night. so lots of rattling and grunting. hopefully catch a good buck on his feet looking for a doe.

bbruno

Reaction score
just see doe run through. not 5 min later small buck comes from same direction. just watched him bed down 50 yds in front of me.

bbruno

Reaction score
day 11 evening
same fence row as last night. seated on ground with decoy. not sure what expect tonight. last night was crazy not sure if same bucks are around. really would like to be in corn but its not on my property. decisions decisions. split between corn and fence row seen bucks using last night. I expect gtreat action or no action.

bbruno

Reaction score
well....rattled in small buck. caught must wind took off. bit later see a doe. come running across corn. good buck was chasing her. he looked like a shooter. good cage. so once they hit creek bottom scooted across field hoping to cut them off. thinking they might run the creek bottom. nope. crossed creek and still see em runnning at 500+ yds.

bbruno

Reaction score
well ended up having doe and lamb come in. then had another doe come behind me.

bbruno

Reaction score
day 12 morning
tried a new set. could see deer standing up on hill. looked like buck. than see ddaoe head out of corn back to bed. wind was not great so got down and moved to set where I have been sitting in am. no deer here. love the set. looks like great spot for calling. however only seen one small buck. see him couple times.

Latest posts