Live Action Trail Cameras?

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Would like a sense of where people stand on this issue - live action trail camera use during hunting season.

One thought it is that it is really cool to get a picture of a buck hanging out near your stand.
Another thought is that it is a technological bridge too far - ripe for 'abuse' and maybe not fair chase.

Should they be allowed, banned?

Two links for reading
Nevada Law: https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/nevada-new-for-2018-seasonal-trail-camera-law#gs.c8siff
BHA article: https://www.backcountryhunters.org/live_action_game_cameras

Would love to know your opinions - thanks

mowbizz

Reaction score
They are banned in NH. My opinion...modern day hunters have so many technical advantages already with regular cams and equipment, tree stands, crossbows etc. so yes, these are a “bridge too far”

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
They're already banned in NH? Live Free or Die as long as you have a permit I guess. Seems hard to enforce with all the webcams and security cams streaming video 24/7.

Personally, as long as they aren't being used during the season, I wouldn't care if people used them.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
As I get older I’m getting more back to basics. I have some cameras out but, some have the wrong date and time. I like to see pictures of deer and game but, don’t need or want to know the exact time a deer is going to come through. It gives me hope during the season when I’ve been sitting freezing my butt off that something may come through. They said we shoot very few deer that we’ve had on camera.

The live video should not be allowed. To me that’s not fair chase. Get out there and put in the time.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
They're already banned in NH? Live Free or Die as long as you have a permit I guess. Seems hard to enforce with all the webcams and security cams streaming video 24/7.

Personally, as long as they aren't being used during the season, I wouldn't care if people used them.
I've heard they are banned , but its a crazy rule. They are actually not banned from use. BUT during the hunting season , the camera must be shut off either manually or in most of these cellular cameras , shut off remotely 24 hours before you hunt anywhere near them and during the time you are hunting. How in hell do you enforce that. This rule only applies to cellular cams or any cam that can transmit pics or vids to another source.

I dont use or have any cell cams . I've had some cams out on the same trees for years. But I have to go to the cam to check the sd card. I used to have as many as 15 cams out . It made for 2 great days going for hikes to change cards . I will say this though. Once I see whats really out there in the woods , I became more selective. If I saw there was not many Does in the area I would not shoot one. If I thought there were enough Does but only 2-3 dominant Does , those 3 were off limits and I would take one of the small ones even if it was a grown up fawn . Heck I would give these big does and the big bucks names. So much fun checking cards in the summer to see which Does had a fawn and twin fawns. If one of the big older Does did not have any fawns , I would take her instead. I will never shoot a Doe that has fawns with her. Its just me. Anybody else can do what they want.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of them during the season. Seems silly to me you can't shine a field with your headlights, but you can get an instant image sent to a phone. If I read the law right for NH you can't hunt the area within six hours of getting a photo sent to you. Basically an unenforceable law. The burden of proof is pretty tough to obtain if the hunter using the camera has any common sense at all.

I'm with everyone else that the technology has over taken us to a point. I went 24 days without seeing a deer last year at one point. I obviously love to hunt , but motivation and mental fatigue can really start playing with you after a run like that. Having cameras in the woods and knowing what was running around in the area I was hunting certainly helped "motivate me" on days I may have slept in. I ended up killing a really nice buck, and didn't even have him on camera.

I think it most of it comes down to who you are as an individual........ Fish finders have been brought up in the past. I use one of my tube for knowledge of the depth , structures and surface temp. I've never marked fish in my tube and spent the next 40 minutes targeting that fish. Does it help me understand a pattern? Of course and leads to high catch rates while I'm fishing. I'm still using a full sink link, trying to figure out what they are feeding on 15 feet down, and how fast/slow of a retrieve they want to see the fly if it's even the right one.

Guides completely destroyed the Winni fishery with the use of technology. I don't think that's even a little debatable. The hook wounded fish have gone through the roof, while the age class and size have dismally faded. Why do I bring up fishing in this topic? Because most of those fish are catch and release. We haven't figured out how to catch and release hunt. Imagine what the end result could be should greed and selfishness combine with technology and "easier" in the hunting world.

Last edited:

Browseline

Reaction score
I am not concerned with what other people do as far as live action trail cameras. I have no desire to use one to hunt from. I do like to see all the pictures posted from all types of trail cameras. I keep a couple cameras going around my back lawn but haven't put any in the woods for the last 6 or 8 years. It does seem like it might be fun to have a couple set up in Maine and be able to check them from back here in VT.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
They use them here now at any time. Doesn't bother me. I could do without any cameras or baiting. I resisted cameras for a long time, then I gave in when my kids started getting interested in hunting and enjoyed seeing the pictures.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
We have a guy at camp that has a couple of them. He pulls them before rifle season. I think he is too worried they will get stolen when the woods are flooded with deer hunters.

I can see how these could add an unfair advantage during the season.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I have a friend who just tried the spy point cams the last few weeks. He'll be sending them back after attaching a browning recon under it to see if he's missing anything. JUNK!!! So in that instance, spy point is evening it out by not taking consistent pics. LOL

Latest posts