Little of this and that

mowbizz

Reaction score
Left at 5am. Great day in the woods. Windham to Parlin, checked some cameras and scouted a few new spots, went out end of the spencer road, shot some birds, Hawks Nest for dinner, back to Windham, rolled in 10pm. 17 hour round trip! Loved it.

Got a couple and my 8 year old got to shoot her new 7mm08. It’s official. My kids and wife shoot better than I. This is her first shot about 50-60 yards.
Sounds like a memorable time! Is your daughter’s name Annie? (Oakley) 😊 that’s good shoot in’!

Big D

Reaction score
Left at 5am. Great day in the woods. Windham to Parlin, checked some cameras and scouted a few new spots, went out end of the spencer road, shot some birds, Hawks Nest for dinner, back to Windham, rolled in 10pm. 17 hour round trip! Loved it.

Got a couple and my 8 year old got to shoot her new 7mm08. It’s official. My kids and wife shoot better than I. This is her first shot about 50-60 yards.
What's more impressive than their shooting skills is the fact you can get them up and out the door at 5am. I'm lucky enough to get my 8 year old daughter out of bed by 8am. This all girl adventure, no offense, is fixing to be the HC hunt of the year. Win, lose, or draw. Can't wait.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
How did the sidewall tent work out on your camping trip with the wife and kids? Those things look pretty sweet, are they a lot of work to set up?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
How did the sidewall tent work out on your camping trip with the wife and kids? Those things look pretty sweet, are they a lot of work to set up?
They are great. Have a bunch of days in it now since that trip this summer. Goes up in 15 minutes. It’s a game changer in regards to space with the straight walls and being able to walk around, etc. Labor Day we had some serious rain, coming sideways all night in the western mountains and it was bone dry.

All packed up for a Friday departure to stay in it for the week.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Back from a week in the woods, but unfortunately no moose. No number of these hunts helps you prepare for the pressure we put on ourselves for a short 6 day hunt, this one being no different. Trying to get my wife her first big game animal was exciting, yet a tad stressful. We had a great time with a good group tenting for 7 nights, shot some partridge and likely wouldn’t have changed a thing. Thankful for the time spent up there, the help from friends on gear, tips on spots, and moral support.

Our high standards for a few nice bulls we had scouted slowly diminished as the week went on and the temperatures increased. We had bulls calling back to us every morning except one, but couldnt seal the deal. We saw moose every day, but still have a lot to learn. We walked many miles as we preferred to be back in the woods, versus just riding around in the truck.

We had a small bull encounter on day 1 and Shannon had a decent bull in her crosshairs on Day 3, but held off as the shot wasn’t great. After that we just got calling responses, but only saw cows until we left.

I think having my wife experiencing what we all love so much almost cancels out the disappointment of not tagging out. Almost. Super proud of her for wanting to do this and making it her hunt, as she was a trooper start to finish. I told her the Trainors often go home empty handed from the north woods, she might as well learn the hard way!

Attachments

mowbizz

Reaction score
Congrats on a “successful” hunt! It’s all what you make it and not always about a kill. Hunting and being together with your wife creates a bind like no other. You are a lucky man! 🙂

Latest posts