Little of this and that

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Bulls are starting to rut. Found a few piss pits, lots of rubs, and they are responding to calls. Guys hunting next week will have fun.

Ruger American top, X bolt bottom, new savage axis for my youngest wasn’t worth posting. It’s got the original non accutrigger and it’s about a 9 pound pull. Fierce. Have a trigger kit coming today for it which will help. I can only get about 3 inch groups at 100 with it, but convinced it will get better.

Those are mini targets and put on a rifle box.

Attachments

Last edited:

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Good stuff KC, some nice catches on the cameras. Glad to hear the sign is ramping up and bulls responding to calls. I'm knocking things off my to do list and getting pretty excited for next week. I ran through my toolbox and gear in the truck, oil change, new pads and rotors, made sure the spare was good to go, freshened up my "oh-shit-kit" (charged the battery jumper, added some more tire plugs, etc.). I've started to assemble my hunting gear and made sure the guns were dialed in. The temps look fairly average for the season at this point with highs in the mid to low 60's and lows in the mid 40's. I'm sure they default to the averages a bit in the long term forecasts, but I can say I'm glad they aren't predicting a heat wave or complete washout!

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Good stuff KC, some nice catches on the cameras. Glad to hear the sign is ramping up and bulls responding to calls. I'm knocking things off my to do list and getting pretty excited for next week. I ran through my toolbox and gear in the truck, oil change, new pads and rotors, made sure the spare was good to go, freshened up my "oh-shit-kit" (charged the battery jumper, added some more tire plugs, etc.). I've started to assemble my hunting gear and made sure the guns were dialed in. The temps look fairly average for the season at this point with highs in the mid to low 60's and lows in the mid 40's. I'm sure they default to the averages a bit in the long term forecasts, but I can say I'm glad they aren't predicting a heat wave or complete washout!
Getting close for you. Should be right into them rutting hard. You are zone 4 if I remember correctly. I may have missed it, but where are you staying?

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Getting close for you. Should be right into them rutting hard. You are zone 4 if I remember correctly. I may have missed it, but where are you staying?
I’m in zone 4 on a remote hunt with Schanz’s. Lee is in zone 1 with another group so I’m with Stephen. I didn’t have the time to dedicate to a DIY in a zone that far away from home this year so I booked it early. Didn’t want to mess up the opportunity, it took me 20 years to draw!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
We are zone 8, which only has one week for bulls starting on Columbus Day. Little late for intense rut action I feel, but will make the best. Looking at the medium term temps up north for week one, I guess I’m sorta happy as the Sept week could be a scorcher.
I’ve been keeping track of the long range forecasts for that week. They vary depending on the source. I’m crossing my fingers in hopes they trend cooler. Right now seems like mid 60’s for highs, high 40’s for lows.
Good luck to you fellas and your crews. I'm beyond jealous!!!! I keep looking at pictures from last year at this time "A year ago I was scouting here" kind of thing. Take millions of pictures!!!

Those bulls will still be rutted up and put on a show for you KC. Ours was tearing the hell out of saplings and grunting the entire way in. Good luck again, and can't wait to see the pictures and read the stories.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I’m in zone 4 on a remote hunt with Schanz’s. Lee is in zone 1 with another group so I’m with Stephen. I didn’t have the time to dedicate to a DIY in a zone that far away from home this year so I booked it early. Didn’t want to mess up the opportunity, it took me 20 years to draw!
That’s right, man that is going to be an awesome hunt. Right in the thick of it, with lots of calling. Best of luck to you go. Can’t wait to see a report from you when you get back.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Good luck. Lee just got a smasher in Alaska on DIY hunt. Never met Stephen, but if he's anything like the old man, your in for a memorable week.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Since this is a thread that is a lot about nothing, I figure I’d share this new rifle I bought for my youngest daughter. Its probably a year or two early, but with rifles hard to find I picked up this Savage axis xp combo in 7mm08 for $360 at cabelas.

The trigger was the worst thing I have ever used, so I put in a Mcarbo trigger kit last night and now it breaks cleanly at 3.5 pounds. It’s really smooth with some shims they provided.

The gun itself, I kind of like.
Things I like: It’s a youth model with a 20 inch barrel. Fairly light and compact. I like the magazine better than the ruger American. It goes in easier and is partially metal. I like the feel of the plastic better than the American. Feels a little less cheap. Super affordable gun overall.

Dislikes: The scope is a cheap weaver. Will replace at somepoint. The bolt by design is like a 2 stage and has a noticable hang up mid stroke. The ruger American bolt I have is really smooth and glass like. The trigger was horrible on the savage, but great now. I would like to try the axis II with the accutrigger.

Overall it’s just an affordable plastic gun that will do the job and see a few days afield. Will see how good the accuracy is now with the trigger job.

I guess if I had to buy one of these or the American again, it would be a toss up. Both have good and bad points.

Attachments

Last edited:

groundtender

Reaction score
Good luck on the moose hunt. Love your updates and rifle reviews. Heading north today to get ready for a hunt next week in which I have been named sub-p. God willing, it will be a fun and successful week.

JDK

Reaction score
Very nice write ups. I start scouting next week. 4 hours one way to the zone makes it difficult.

KC,

I have the Axis II with accutrigger. one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned and the trigger is excellent, although took a little getting used to. If you have the American, you already have the feel for the blade.

I topped mine with a Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 that I paid $139 for. It has been a very good scope. I have less than $450 in the entire outfit. It is what it is but not a bad truck gun.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Very nice write ups. I start scouting next week. 4 hours one way to the zone makes it difficult.

KC,

I have the Axis II with accutrigger. one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned and the trigger is excellent, although took a little getting used to. If you have the American, you already have the feel for the blade.

I topped mine with a Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 that I paid $139 for. It has been a very good scope. I have less than $450 in the entire outfit. It is what it is but not a bad truck gun.
i have been eyeing the Burris. Maybe for next year. What reticle do you have?

JDK

Reaction score
#4 with illuminated dot. I really like it a lot.

Browseline

Reaction score
Good luck KC and Travis with your moose hunts. Sounds like you both are well prepared. Looking forward to the stories and pictures.

JDK

Reaction score
KC

you need to be careful with the Fullfield. There is a reticle that does not go all of the way to the edge of thefield of view. Basically a small crosshairs in the center of the glass. A lot of people hate it. Forget what it is called

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Left at 5am. Great day in the woods. Windham to Parlin, checked some cameras and scouted a few new spots, went out end of the spencer road, shot some birds, Hawks Nest for dinner, back to Windham, rolled in 10pm. 17 hour round trip! Loved it.

Got a couple and my 8 year old got to shoot her new 7mm08. It’s official. My kids and wife shoot better than I. This is her first shot about 50-60 yards.

Attachments

Latest posts