Little of this and that

Reaction score
Spent another stretch up off the golden rd this week with the girls. Wanted to get away for 4 days, do some hiking, fishing, get the girls shooting, try out some new campfire cooking ideas, and get the wife acclimated to the new camping set up for the moose hunt. We had a blast and my daughter did great shooting and getting used to her 7mm08. I wanted her to worry less about the target and more safety, eye relief, working the bolt, etc. First shot puts it in the red!

Moose scouting starts next week, and all the cameras go up.

Really felt like fall in the evenings up there, sorta got me excited that the fun is just around the corner.
So awesome!! Love your set up ! We ,too,have a canvas wall tent and used it last year up on the Depot Rd. I always wanted one with a screen door and hubs bought one and sold our other! Nothing like being out there like that ! Hubs won’t be guiding in 1 this year but will be in 7 for a week.Focusing on trying to finish building our camp but priorities first haha!

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Excellent trip report. Your camp food looks amazing! Good luck on your moose hunt!

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Forum appears slow, so I’ll post an update on our fall.
My oldest and I did a one day bear hunt in eastern Maine and it was really fun to have her experience the whole thing despite us not getting a bear. She got to hear the stories in camp, bounce around in the truck, practice shooting, etc.

She turned some heads up there will the all boy crew at the range. They all thought they were hot shits for exploding clay pigeons until her turn when she went two for two shooting out the centers.

They did monster truck rides too, which was fun. The site next to ours the boy shot a bear, but it was not recovered but we got to be part of that excitement.
We did what we could about being scent free and not moving or making noises. She was trooper as we sat for just about 5 hours nearly motionless. Was my first bear hunt, but I think I’ll take her back to do it again. I really enjoyed it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Continue to scout for moose on foot and cameras, find our home base to camp, and lots of shooting. My wife and daughter are pretty much a better shot than I. They have really become comfortable with their rifles. Switched over to the federal Barnes TSX.

Attachments

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Friday doe permits were drawn. My wife and daughter both got two bonus permits each on top of their regular buck/any deer permit allowing them 6 deer combined. My other daughter and I got bonus tags also, so combined we have 10 tags! Hope to put ONE in the freezer.

My youngest will be hunting this year from a blind at my friend’s new field, so ordered her a Savage 7MM08 youth with a scope from Cabelas. Should get that this week and then the two daughters won’t be fighting over the other youth gun.

We set up some natural ground blinds yesterday behind the house, cleared some lanes, hung a couple cameras, etc.

Feels like fall, looks like fall, just need to get these girls in front of some animals to keep them interested.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Continue to scout for moose on foot and cameras, find our home base to camp, and lots of shooting. My wife and daughter are pretty much a better shot than I. They have really become comfortable with their rifles. Switched over to the federal Barnes TSX.
That is some good shooting. Real tight group. I wish I could do that. Practice is the key but I can't find .280 Rem ammo anywhere so I just don't shoot that much.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Reaction score
Forum appears slow, so I’ll post an update on our fall.
My oldest and I did a one day bear hunt in eastern Maine and it was really fun to have her experience the whole thing despite us not getting a bear. She got to hear the stories in camp, bounce around in the truck, practice shooting, etc.

She turned some heads up there will the all boy crew at the range. They all thought they were hot shits for exploding clay pigeons until her turn when she went two for two shooting out the centers.

They did monster truck rides too, which was fun. The site next to ours the boy shot a bear, but it was not recovered but we got to be part of that excitement.
We did what we could about being scent free and not moving or making noises. She was trooper as we sat for just about 5 hours nearly motionless. Was my first bear hunt, but I think I’ll take her back to do it again. I really enjoyed it.
Always great when we can hunt with the younger generation!! My kids are all grown but now we hunt with our oldest grandson.His brother will start his first deer hunting this year and he has asked to come bear hunting with us when he can! Who did you bear hunt with? Our oldest wants to go with our friend and his hounds ( Rocky Ridge).

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Always great when we can hunt with the younger generation!! My kids are all grown but now we hunt with our oldest grandson.His brother will start his first deer hunting this year and he has asked to come bear hunting with us when he can! Who did you bear hunt with? Our oldest wants to go with our friend and his hounds ( Rocky Ridge).
Bull moose Wilderness Adventures in Springfield. My daughter won a raffle for a youth day hunt and it was an awesome thing. Really great owners, that had land leases and baits all over that country. Bears were really active on the baits. I wish we would have connected, but I plan to take her back next year.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
When is the first day of moose hunting?
We are zone 8, which only has one week for bulls starting on Columbus Day. Little late for intense rut action I feel, but will make the best. Looking at the medium term temps up north for week one, I guess I’m sorta happy as the Sept week could be a scorcher.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
We are zone 8, which only has one week for bulls starting on Columbus Day. Little late for intense rut action I feel, but will make the best. Looking at the medium term temps up north for week one, I guess I’m sorta happy as the Sept week could be a scorcher.
I’ve been keeping track of the long range forecasts for that week. They vary depending on the source. I’m crossing my fingers in hopes they trend cooler. Right now seems like mid 60’s for highs, high 40’s for lows.

Reaction score
Bull moose Wilderness Adventures in Springfield. My daughter won a raffle for a youth day hunt and it was an awesome thing. Really great owners, that had land leases and baits all over that country. Bears were really active on the baits. I wish we would have connected, but I plan to take her back next year.
That’s awesome!! Nothing like bear hunting esp.when our kids are involved and the looks on their faces 🥰 ..oh but then there’s moose,deer,grouse,coyote too haha!

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Did an up and back trip yesterday to check some cameras and fine tune the lady’s rifles with some new rounds.

Attachments

Latest posts