Lithium vs. Alkaline Lets hear your opinion.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I have a friend who's made the switch to Lithium batteries in his cameras and swears by them. I'm curious if anyone else has any experience. I spent a ton on batteries last year, although my cameras were out from July to Dec. I'm using all Browning cams set on 30 second video. BTC 7, BTC 7A and the new Patriots. They are all in 1080 mode. I don't like leaving a camera for another week when the battery level is around 70%. Love to hear some opinions ........

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Lithiums work great in trail cams, gps etc. They will at least double my number of pics on a cam. Lithiums are a different animal...they go from full to dead...but that is the way they are made, they have full power or no power

DriveJohnson

Reaction score
Yes, was using regular alkaline in my Spypoints, but switched to lithium. I put them in last November '20 and just had to replace them two weeks ago. Well worth the cost...

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input. The cheapest I can find them on Amazon is around 1.25 each. That's almost double the cost of Alkaline, so I would expect them to outlast by more than double to justify the cost of six cameras.

lester2

Reaction score
My experience hasn’t been that good with lithium’s. A buddy and I put out two cameras each back in early April. We checked them mid September and both of mine with energizer lithium AA’s were dead. One stopped working in late June and the other in July. He had Energizer max AA’s in his and they were fine. I have heard of “counterfeit” energizer lithium batteries out there so maybe I got a hold of some, not sure…

kevin in nh

Reaction score
I switched out to lithium last year so far so good. I checked then in June, and again September and still good from last December.

medrhunter

Reaction score
I switched to Lithium in GPS for last several years.
Definitely outlast Alkalines by alot.
A set of Alkalines didn't last a full day, especially in colder weather.
I can get almost 3 days out of a set.

I did just buy the Panosonic rechargables.
Going to try them this year.

IMG_0687.jpg

Reaction score
I have a friend who's made the switch to Lithium batteries in his cameras and swears by them. I'm curious if anyone else has any experience. I spent a ton on batteries last year, although my cameras were out from July to Dec. I'm using all Browning cams set on 30 second video. BTC 7, BTC 7A and the new Patriots. They are all in 1080 mode. I don't like leaving a camera for another week when the battery level is around 70%. Love to hear some opinions ........
All we use nowadays is Lithium ... anything else doesn’t last! My newest camera,I use in my yard has had the same lithium’s in it for over 2 years

Huntermc6

Reaction score
Got 2 trail cameras and a 2 GPS units and I wouldn't use anything but lithium's in them. They last far longer than alkaline batteries in all 4 items. I am going to look into the rechargeable ones once I get a few more cameras, sounds like theirs a chance you can recycle the lithium's as well which I don't think you can do with alkaline batteries.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
People are still using GPS units?
Haha thought Id get called out for that. Yes I am, my phone is a POS. Not reliable enough for me to have confidence it will work all day and not freeze up and crash. GPS gets me in and out when needed but I mostly still follow my compass headings to get out of the woods.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
People are still using GPS units?
Screw The Phone ! I will take my GPS unit any day over a freakin phone app ! The phone dies in the cold . My GPS lasts for 3 days even leaving it on most of the day with 2 AA Eneloop rechargeable batteries. The only time I shut it off is when I know I'm going to be sitting for awhile . My phone stays inside my vest keeping warm only to use for checking in with the guys or calling for dragging duty ! LOL

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Screw The Phone ! I will take my GPS unit any day over a freakin phone app ! The phone dies in the cold . My GPS lasts for 3 days even leaving it on most of the day with 2 AA Eneloop rechargeable batteries. The only time I shut it off is when I know I'm going to be sitting for awhile . My phone stays inside my vest keeping warm only to use for checking in with the guys or calling for dragging duty ! LOL
I hear ya. The thing I like best about ONX on my phone is the aerial photography. I can see the cuts, roads, and my position. There is no cell service where we hunt so no need to save the battery for calls. I keep my phone in airplane mode and that helps a lot with the battery. I carry an extra battery pack/cord with me just in case. I had to use it once last year.

arlow

Reaction score
I have energizer lithiums in my Tacticam Reveals. I first set them out in August of 2020. I did not have to change them out till late september of 2021. 13 months on a cell camera sending pics daily is insane!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I just placed an order through amazon for some energizer lithium's. I have 2 Browning Patriot cameras that came with Lithium batteries. On Saturdays check they were both still at 100%. Now to just keep the friggin bears off them!!! Thanks guys for all the feedback. I'll update this thread at the end of the season.

nomadicbohunk

Reaction score
I used to run many cameras in another area of the country. Lithiums are the only way to go. They also work in colder weather than alkalines do. I don't think many folks around here get thousands of photos a month like we would, but you also get a lot more photos from lithiums vs alkalines. I figured it out once for the summer months when they were most efficient and they did pay for themselves.

For the super tight wads, usually only one battery would go bad. I'd have one at zero and the rest would have voltage. After I'd switch them out, I'd check the voltage in each one and sort them. Anything under 1 would get tossed. I hope I'm remembering this right. The rest would get tossed into a bag of 1.25 or lower and 1.25 and higher. Then I'd use those in cameras that were easily accessible and ones that weren't. That saved a lot of money. A lot.

I also use a gps a lot of the time. I download satellite images onto it. A phone doesn't have the battery power to last over a day and the battery life is terrible when its cold out. I also usually camp when I hunt or don't have access to electricity if I am sleeping indoors. The extra battery packs for charging a phone are just heavy and you don't get that much out of them vs a gps with lithiums.

Also, pro tip. You've got to be careful for knock offs, but I'd just order lithiums online in bulk. Again, it's a lot cheaper when you're buying hundreds at a time.

Latest posts